Bklynracer

Supreme Court Takes First 2A Case in a Decade

The requirements simply state a Qualification.  I have used NJ, PA and FBI courses of fire.  I have always included a copy of the course of fire with the application.  Even though I qualify whenever I can, the current requirement is for submission with the application or renewal, which as of now is every 2 years.  There is no current requirement for annual or semi-annual quals.

• Informative 1

Further to Ant’s earlier post. You can also watch this on youtube as shown below. Channel name is “New Jersey Office of the Governor”.

P.s. I like many, have waited eight long years since the disappointment of the Drake case to experience the elation of yesterday’s opinion. God bless this man.  
Btw, I was also gratified by Thomas making specific mention of the Drake case in his opinion.

D6DBDFCE-AC81-44CC-8171-23EA037C8CB5.jpeg

1 hour ago, raz-0 said:

If you read the decision he literally says that if they go the route of burdensome fees, delays, or restrictions to sidestep this ruling that the court will take these cases. 

I suspect we will get a flurry of remands on the pending 2a cases at some point.

Yes, they will take the cases...how long does it take for a case to get to the court, so they can smack it down?

States that do not want to allow this can delay delay delay....they may ultimately lose...BUT, it can take years.

How many years has it taken to get to this point?

15 minutes ago, quikz said:

Yea But...

I already have current/active jersey """carry""" permit. It is a 'restricted' permit from a part time job. NOW WHAT???

FOLLOW THE LAW OF THE LAND.

I suspect the AG will eventually get around to addressing the issue.  The easy solution is to just nullify any restrictions and give you a sticker to put on your permit.  The likely solution is to make you start from scratch using any new procedures.  This way they get more money out you.

7 minutes ago, KurtC said:

I suspect the AG will eventually get around to addressing the issue.  The easy solution is to just nullify any restrictions and give you a sticker to put on your permit.  The likely solution is to make you start from scratch using any new procedures.  This way they get more money out you.

LOL. I just got my jersey """carry""" permit renewed last month (good for 2 years LOL). I don't pay for it. Need to continue the 2A lawsuits against NJ. Plenty of material there.

8 minutes ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

Yes, they will take the cases...how long does it take for a case to get to the court, so they can smack it down?

States that do not want to allow this can delay delay delay....they may ultimately lose...BUT, it can take years.

How many years has it taken to get to this point?

"Delay" means something different in the presence of a ruling. The goalposts have been moved (or finally established if you like that view better), about what is burdensome from a civil liberties standpoint. 

So if they suggest something sufficiently stupid, we don't have to wade through the state stuff, we can go straight to the federal level seeking injunction. If you have been paying attention, getting to SCOTUS for an injunction is something that can be done in months. 

If they are really stupid about it, NJ could wind up with no CCW law creating a carry holiday like CA would up with a magazine holiday. 

I don't think they will be that stupid, but I also don't think they will be smart enough to just say the existing process is it, but self defense should meet the good cause justification requirement. 

• Like 1

As I understand it, before yesterday both your local PD (or NJSP) and superior court judge could deny based on Justifiable Need but usually PD pushed it to the judge to deny.  After yesterday that judge has to consider the new precedent and “shall issue”.  Maybe in the short term PD will start denying at their level so it never hits the judiciary.  

40 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

They have issued permits to carry a handgun, not many, but some. Those people have done quals. The process is established, but because everybody gets told "don't even bother, you won't get it" most PDs have never had to find out what process is acceptable

I respect your decision to apply today! Especially since in your case you have a denial already, I guess it doesn't hurt. For the rest of us though, waiting for the AG to provide the directive will assure those of us a carry permit. 

45 minutes ago, marlintag said:

Those qualifications are for police and security officials, not us. Even if you got qualified today, that may become invalidated once we know what the training requirements are. We may have to take the same quals, more quals, or something completely different. What you do today may be invalidated later as the AG will provide guidance to the issuing authorities.

The SCOTUS ruling included words to the effect that the requirements should be similar to the 43 states that are Shall Issue…although I’m sure I can pass the LEO qualification, it makes me think that it’s excessively burdensome compared to the current 43 states’ requirements for CCW and potentially could be shut down to something more in line for a citizen rather than LEO.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, supranatural said:

The SCOTUS ruling included words to the effect that the requirements should be similar to the 43 states that are Shall Issue…although I’m sure I can pass the LEO qualification, it makes me think that it’s excessively burdensome compared to the current 43 states’ requirements for CCW and potentially could be shut down to something more in line for a citizen rather than LEO.

Right! The RPO qual you take today may not be satisfy the requirement from the AG. 

44 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Further to Ant’s earlier post. You can also watch this on youtube as shown below. Channel name is “New Jersey Office of the Governor”.

P.s. I like many, have waited eight long years since the disappointment of the Drake case to experience the elation of yesterday’s opinion. God bless this man.  
Btw, I was also gratified by Thomas making specific mention of the Drake case in his opinion.

D6DBDFCE-AC81-44CC-8171-23EA037C8CB5.jpeg

Links to this? Or did it just go off the rails because Roe dropped?

21 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

JFCOAB! Will some of you please just stop spouting conjecture and look up what you need to do?

Read this and read it again if you don't get it the first time.

Pay particular attention to part b) - you have to satisfy ONE of the THREE requirements. Number 2 is a shooting qualification. You don't need to do a class at all - assuming you can shoot already.

If you can't pass the shooting qualification today, walking onto the range cold with no warm-up, I strongly recommend getting basic firearms and marksmanship training before even thinking of carrying in public. Having your gun on you does jack shit if you don't know how to use it without hitting things other than your target.

The USSC and the US Constitution just granted CC in 50 states for personal defense.....where in the 2nd and 14th does this appear........show me.

Listening to the Governor now.  Sounds like he/NJ will accept the Supreme Court ruling and no longer required justifiable need.  However he is calling for legislation to define an expansive list of "sensitive places". These to include bars and restaurants where alcohol is served as well as "BY DEFAULT" private property (malls, homes, etc.) without the permission of the owner.

DA's office to issue a directive today to NJ law enforcement with revised guidance consistent with the SCOTUS decision.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative 2

45 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

As I understand it, before yesterday both your local PD (or NJSP) and superior court judge could deny based on Justifiable Need but usually PD pushed it to the judge to deny.  After yesterday that judge has to consider the new precedent and “shall issue”.  Maybe in the short term PD will start denying at their level so it never hits the judiciary.  

us there a possibility that the judge can be removed from the process?

42 minutes ago, supranatural said:

thing is that those states all have different requirements

8 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Listening to the Governor now.  Sounds like he/NJ will accept the Supreme Court ruling and no longer required justifiable need.  However he is calling for legislation to define an expansive list of "sensitive places". These to include bars and restaurants where alcohol is served as well as "BY DEFAULT" private property (malls, homes, etc.) without the permission of the owner.

DA's office to issue a directive today to NJ law enforcement with revised guidance consistent with the SCOTUS decision.

so........and i'm just asking, so don't anyone go jumping on me.........would this mean that if i call my local pd on monday, they should have a legit answer for me?

1 minute ago, 1LtCAP said:

so........and i'm just asking, so don't anyone go jumping on me.........would this mean that if i call my local pd on monday, they should have a legit answer for me?

Based on what I just heard, yes.  The head of the NJSP stated they had communication with all of NJ law enforcement regarding the implications of the ruling.  I took that to mean local police chiefs as well were part of that.   He also went on to state they plan to ramp up their online system(FARS I assume) to handle concealed applications(No doubt will take some time).  He anticipates receiving upwards of 200,000 concealed carry applications!

Highly recommend you listen to the actual news conference and not just rely on my rushed post.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Looks like they aren't getting it if default is prohibited on private property including places of public accommodation. SO everything will be private property or a sensitive location. They do want to fuck around and find out. 

The dems COULD seriously hobble the GOP for a generation by simply laying off gun control and blaming scouts. Without the gun vote, the GOP woold pretty much be crippled at the national level. But they are too stupid to see this... or thing the things they want to do will get them shot in the face. One or the other. 

2 hours ago, Downtownv said:

I just got off the phone with my firearms officer who has a package waiting for me down at the local PD station. It is said to include the qualification certificate as well as the course. I will post anything relevant online once I go down and get it.

So there is in this packet, the same thing that was there 2 days, 2 month 2 years. Nothing changed and they are waiting for the AG guidance.

I will complete my paperwork and wait until we see more clarification on the quals and perhaps a revised application. We can outwait the king and pathetic disrespect to the Oath he swore to.

3 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Based on what I just heard, yes.  The head of the NJSP stated they had communication with all of NJ law enforcement regarding the implications of the ruling.  I took that to mean local police chiefs as well were part of that.   He also went on to state they plan to ramp up their online system(FARS I assume) to handle concealed applications(No doubt will take some time).  He anticipates receiving upwards of 200,000 concealed carry applications!

Highly recommend you listen to the actual news conference and not just rely on my rushed post.

i caught part of it just now. i'll hafta wait till i get home to watch the whole thing. i'm hoping that since my town's small'ish it should go pretty quick, but i imagine it still goes up the chain to the state pd and that's where i forsee a bottleneck . i'm in contact with a couple instructors i like to train with to see if they're gonna run any sort of quals in the near future.......