Bklynracer

Supreme Court Takes First 2A Case in a Decade

12 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Based on what I just heard, yes.  The head of the NJSP stated they had communication with all of NJ law enforcement regarding the implications of the ruling.

He anticipates receiving upwards of 200,000 concealed carry applications!

:D

11 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Based on what I just heard, yes.  The head of the NJSP stated they had communication with all of NJ law enforcement regarding the implications of the ruling.  I took that to mean local police chiefs as well were part of that.   He also went on to state they plan to ramp up their online system(FARS I assume) to handle concealed applications(No doubt will take some time).  He anticipates receiving upwards of 200,000 concealed carry applications!

Highly recommend you listen to the actual news conference and not just rely on my rushed post.

I forgot to mention to everyone here. When i got off the phone with my local PD this morning. They stated that likely the CCW process will be integrated into the FARS system. THIS IS GOOD FOR US! It may be similar to getting another P2P.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

6 minutes ago, marlintag said:

I forgot to mention to everyone here. When i got off the phone with my local PD this morning. They stated that likely the CCW process will be integrated into the FARS system. THIS IS GOOD FOR US! It may be similar to getting another P2P.

Integrating it into FARS would be one helluva improvement.  Hopefully the fingerprints already on file will be acceptable.  As it is now, you need a fresh set run through the system with the results going to your local PD.

To summarize my main takeaways from the news conference.

1) They have clearly capitulated with respect to justifiable need.  It is dead and buried!  Stated the SCOTUS ruling is immediate and time is of the essence to align with it.  

2) I anticipate that by end of day the AG will issue a directive to all of NJ law enforcement that justifiable need is no longer required.  The rest of the existing concealed carry application and approval process remains in full force.

3) The are going to push very hard to legislate an expansive list of sensitive places.

4) They also indicated they intend to make liability insurance be required,  "Like you have when driving an automobile".  (I am not referring to plans like US Law Shield but rather liability insurance.)

5) They anticipate 200,000 concealed carry applications.  Mentioned improving the existing online system(presumably a reference to FARS) to also handle these types of applications in the future.   The head of the NJSP made mention of communication with all NJ law enforcement entities with regards to the ruling and the staffing challenges with respect to processing these applications.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

The dems COULD seriously hobble the GOP for a generation by simply laying off gun control and blaming scouts. Without the gun vote, the GOP woold pretty much be crippled at the national level. But they are too stupid to see this... 

Highly unlikely. 

Gun control is one of the sacraments for dems, along with open borders, climate change and abortion. 

(Cont.)

6) They intend to move ahead with all the new laws in Murphy's Gun3.0 package. They stated they believe they all are constitutional even in light of the Bruen ruling.

Lastly; they sounded very bitter, defeated, and employed all of their usual anti-gun rhetoric.  Was wonderful to listen to them squirm and acquiesce.

• Like 2

so now that the USSC and the US Constitution have granted us in all 50 states the Right to keep and bears arms in public for self defense purposes....we're back to apps, permits, fees, and regulatory stipulations......where is that stated in the 2nd and 14th.....show me.

2 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

It's a good thing I have no social media posts.

But here is another question. Will local ranges allow holster draw for those with CCW?

Very difficult to find. You usually have to reserve the range and shut it down for a qualification. 

8 minutes ago, KurtC said:

Very difficult to find. You usually have to reserve the range and shut it down for a qualification. 

I am qualified and certified to draw from a holster at TTC in Flemington NJ. A bunch of ranges here allow it as long as you take their courses. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

It's a good thing I have no social media posts.

But here is another question. Will local ranges allow holster draw for those with CCW?

I am a member of Union Hill Gun Club. Holster draw is allowed after you have demonstrated safe firearm handling with one of their RSOs. You then receive a sticker for your membership card. As a courtesy I inform them when I arrive if I plan to holster draw.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 minute ago, marlintag said:

I am qualified and certified to draw from a holster at TTC in Flemington NJ. A bunch of ranges here allow it as long as you take their courses. 

So more double standards, but by ranges now not the state. From what i've seen before, most if not all ranges allow LEs and RPOs to draw from the holster. If we end up having to pass the same qualification, what makes us more of a liability then an LE or RPO? 

3 minutes ago, marlintag said:

Oh a caveat before i forget, TTC does require me to re-qualify to draw from the holster every year! Most ranges in NJ will be the same. I just got certified last month so im good for awhile.

1 minute ago, MartyZ said:

So more double standards, but by ranges now not the state. From what i've seen before, most if not all ranges allow LEs and RPOs to draw from the holster. If we end up having to pass the same qualification, what makes us more of a liability then an LE or RPO? 

Ranges are restricted to certain policies approved by their insurance companies. Land of the "Free" really means sorta kinda not really free

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

To summarize my main takeaways from the news conference.

1) They have clearly capitulated with respect to justifiable need.  It is dead and buried!  Stated the SCOTUS ruling is immediate and time is of the essence to align with it.  

2) I anticipate that by end of day the AG will issue a directive to all of NJ law enforcement that justifiable need is no longer required.  The rest of the existing concealed carry application and approval process remains in full force.

3) The are going to push very hard to legislate an expansive list of sensitive places.

4) They also indicated they intend to make liability insurance be required,  "Like you have when driving an automobile".  (I am not referring to plans like US Law Shield but rather liability insurance.)

5) They anticipate 200,000 concealed carry applications.  Mentioned improving the existing online system(presumably a reference to FARS) to also handle these types of applications in the future.   The head of the NJSP made mention of communication with all NJ law enforcement entities with regards to the ruling and the staffing challenges with respect to processing these applications.

They already made insurance illegal once, and driving is not a constitutional right. 

I suspect they will be surprised what is no longer constitutional in the long run. 

35 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

5) They anticipate 200,000 concealed carry applications.  Mentioned improving the existing online system(presumably a reference to FARS) to also handle these types of applications in the future.   

I thought I heard that Murphy was going to expand the list of sensitive places by executive order, bypassing yet again any legislative oversight.  Not that legislative oversight means much in this state.

Re: the online system, they said they were in discussions with the vendor to add CCW application to the system.   So it'll be awhile, even if they'd like it to happen faster, which they may not.  They've gotta get funding approved and contracts signed, and then that whole software development cycle starts.

28 minutes ago, Downtownv said:

I am starting to think they may start looking at you social media pages upon application. They certainly do it for PD Applicants. So be careful.

For what? Anything that isn't chargeable is free speech. Revoking a right because someone exercised a right won't pass muster. Plus any changes to the objective criteria would need to be by statute, and that opens them up to an injunction. 

They are going to go after prohibited locations and risk that. Worst case is an injunction is granted and they have the law they have now. Which is better than replacing the permit side of it and having an injunction against the only permitting statute.  

30 minutes ago, NJRulz said:

did they mention anything about the transportation rules and how those might be affected or changed?

That did not come up. However if you are referring to the handgun “unreasonable deviation” transportation constraint we live under, current law states that does not apply if you have a nj concealed carry permit.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

2 minutes ago, 10X said:

I thought I heard that Murphy was going to expand the list of sensitive places by executive order, bypassing yet again any legislative oversight.  Not that legislative oversight means much in this state.

Re: the online system, they said they were in discussions with the vendor to add CCW application to the system.   So it'll be awhile, even if they'd like it to happen faster, which they may not.  They've gotta get funding approved and contracts signed, and then that whole software development cycle starts.

They didn't have it miced, so it's unclear what he claim it said. But form teh post signing discussion it sounded like he ordered all executive branch bureaucracies to determine their sensitive places. 

I hope we're just being paranoid here and not predicting the future. I, for one, would have difficulty shooting an 8" target at 75 freaking feet with any consistency. Maybe with my ruger .22 semiauto, but probably not with any serious self defense weapon. There is virtually no real-life situation I'm likely to find myself in, except perhaps a contest or a new career as a hired assassin, that would require that kind of accuracy at 25 yards, with a handgun. AFAIK no other "shall issue" state requires CCL holders to demonstrate police-level skills. It's certainly not in that old white male-inspired document, the conster...conflat...I forget what they call it it's been so long.

I have a sneaky suspicion, however, that in this state the ranges will lobby hard for long, anally painful training requirements, as will our "friends" the hero sandwiches in law enforcement. We should do everything we can to uncover any back-alley dealings between NJ Gun, Inc., cops, and our crooked, craven, reliably mentally ill legislature. For the last two and a half years I have made an art form out of transferring people from the "friend" to "asshole" category.  I'm itching to switch a few more sacred cows.