Bklynracer

Supreme Court Takes First 2A Case in a Decade

1 hour ago, supranatural said:

Looking at the HQC on Gun For Hire, it looks pretty simple...one of the ones referenced previously included shooting from a barrier, etc. Is GFH oversimplifying it or is the HQC simply a test of marksmanship at various ranges? 

The New Jersey HQC is relatively easy.  You have plenty of time for each phase to draw and shoot safely and accurately.   The only challenge you have is on the 25 yd line if you are using a mouse gun.

For about the last decade or so, my instructor has had me qualify using the Pennsylvania LE course of fire.  It is more realistic, as it involves movement, magazine save reloads, body armor drills, challenges, shorter time periods, etc.  Be happy your aren't being forced to use that one.  :p

Pennsylvania MPOETC

32 minutes ago, samiam said:

However, getting a NJ permit would allow me to carry in a handful of additional states that restrict their non-resident permit and carry privileges to only those who have a carry permit in their state of residence. Pennsylvania is one, IIRC. 

You are correct.  I want that one since I spend almost all of my non-Jersey time in PA.

1 hour ago, MikeL417 said:

Didn't see this posted here yet it seems like they have a list of ranges that offer the RPO course that they want.

h6thurq8xe891.jpg

Yeah, I clicked that link.  I'm also trying to get info about individuals (not listed on that site) who are acceptable to the PRNJ.  I will post what I find here and in the other related threads.

EDIT:  Upon further analysis, 5b seems to contradict N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(b).  N.J. Admin. Code § 13:54-2.4 - Application for a permit to carry a handgun | State Regulations | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute (cornell.edu)

Semicolon Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

"A colon introduces something: usually a list, sometimes a statement. A semicolon separates two independent but related clauses; it may also replace the comma to separate items in a complicated list."

Just now, Fred2 said:

It's on the NJSP website.

Does it specifically state that these are the ONLY approved certification avenues?

Not trying to be a douche, but there is a LOT of opinion, innuendo, guesses, 'I think' - comments that may or may not be true.

We are all in a rush to get 'approved' and there seems to be a lack of definitive methodology to achieve that goal.

Me I'll wait to see what shakes out....YMMV

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

Does it specifically state that these are the ONLY approved certification avenues?

Not trying to be a douche, but there is a LOT of opinion, innuendo, guesses, 'I think' - comments that may or may not be true.

We are all in a rush to get 'approved' and there seems to be a lack of definitive methodology to achieve that goal.

You are not being a douche. That is a good question. But I would not put anything past Gov Dicktator. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MikeL417 said:

Didn't see this posted here yet it seems like they have a list of ranges that offer the RPO course that they want.

h6thurq8xe891.jpg

I was just posting a clean link to the one on the bottom of this page.

Personally, if I were one of the first to apply, I would use one of those.

No point in giving them a reason to deny.

1 hour ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

I think the point being made is these places are "confirmed" by NJSP, so for people who don't want to wait they can utilize these. 

Anything else might prove problematic in the mean time. 

10 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

I noticed on GFH's guidance page last night - the update says Non-NJ residents need a FID...

I recently moved to NJ. I do not have a FID because i have never purchased a firearm in NJ. Nowhere in the statutes and admin code do I see such a requirement for a carry permit.

“3. Completion of a course or test in the safe handling of a handgun administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor; or”

Anyone who has taken an NRA class just needs to send in a copy of their NRA certificate. That is how I read the above.

15 minutes ago, LostinNJ said:

I recently moved to NJ. I do not have a FID because i have never purchased a firearm in NJ. Nowhere in the statutes and admin code do I see such a requirement for a carry permit.

That is because it is not in the statutes. A FID is just for long guns or ammunition. You do not need a FID for a permit to purchase a handgun, nor for a permit to carry. Also, something most do not know, your purchase permit allows you to purchase ammo as well.

I listened to attorney Dan S. on the GFH podcast and he recommended waiting to apply for carry to see if the rules for applications change in the coming weeks. I am not sure that I agree with that thinking.

Thursdays US Supreme Court ruling was the greatest victory for residents in state like NJ and NY in the history of 2A. On Friday the NJ Attorney General removed the illegal justifiable need clause. 

What more do we need to wait for?

What more do we need to wait for.  Constitutional carry.  I dont see any paperwork or forms for the first amendment.  Why do we need permission and permits for the second amendment?  Its not an other than enumerated right.     Its a right not given   Its presumed.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KurtC said:

The New Jersey HQC is relatively easy.  You have plenty of time for each phase to draw and shoot safely and accurately.   The only challenge you have is on the 25 yd line if you are using a mouse gun.

For about the last decade or so, my instructor has had me qualify using the Pennsylvania LE course of fire.  It is more realistic, as it involves movement, magazine save reloads, body armor drills, challenges, shorter time periods, etc.  Be happy your aren't being forced to use that one.  :p

Pennsylvania MPOETC

If you can hit up to 15 yards, you don't need to hit the 25 yard shots to pass, correct? 

I can't swear to the scoring of the NJ HQC.  The last time I shot it was in 2014, with a Beretta 9mm DAO Mini Cougar.  it was a rush qual to turn in a renewal and I really didn't pay that much attention to it.  My score was somewhere in the high 90's.  I remember having to wear the dark goggles for the "night" phase.  Before that, the last time was probably in the last century.

Normally, I use the PA course linked above.  More challenging.  I think on that one you can miss most of the 25 yard shots and still get the 80% needed to pass. My scores are always in the high 90's, so I really haven't looked into it.  Maybe when I get too old to see 25 yards.

2 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

I think the point being made is these places are "confirmed" by NJSP, so for people who don't want to wait they can utilize these. 

Anything else might prove problematic in the mean time. 

I'm qualified by NJSP to do RPO quals.  I don't do it for money.  I qualify other certified by NJSP instructors.  No headaches.  Just qualify guys I know that can shoot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Golf battery said:

What more do we need to wait for.  Constitutional carry.  I dont see any paperwork or forms for the first amendment.  Why do we need permission and permits for the second amendment?  Its not an other than enumerated right.     Its a right not given   Its presumed.  

Exactly. 

The 2nd amendment is not a second class right according to the Bruen decision. Does one need three references in triplicate, signed and notarized to vote?

I don't want people to know I own and may want to carry a gun, let alone three people who will have to sign off on my application!

What if I don't have three friends that I've know for a "minimum of three years" to endorse my application and never will?  

Why are my rights to self defense based on the approval of random people?

This ruling drastically changes (or should change) how N.J. and other states with histories of trampling rights to personal self protection issue permits.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

The Bruen decision does not change the permitting process in any state.  It simply eliminates the need to show just cause.  Everything else remains the same and would need to be challenged separately.  Sorry.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, KurtC said:

The Bruen decision does not change the permitting process in any state.  It simply eliminates the need to show just cause.  Everything else remains the same and would need to be challenged separately.  Sorry.

I’m pretty sure it includes things that are just cause by another name. I.e. subjective disqualification by the issuing authority. 

9 hours ago, Golf battery said:

Absolutely.....this isn't a driver's license, it's not a privlege......it's the 2nd Amendment of the Bill Of Rights under the US Constitution.....do I need a permit to speak also........show me where in the 2nd and 14th it says so.......IMO, we're headed back to where we were before the decision was handed down  minus justifiable need.......that's not only what Thomas said......he said that we have the right under 2A to carry concealed outside the home and in public for self defence......nothing about a by permit process.....in my opinion this decision is Constitutional Carry.......omo.

• Agree 1