Bklynracer

Supreme Court Takes First 2A Case in a Decade

Colorado judge issues TRO on mag/gun ban in Colorado city. 

https://reason.com/volokh/2022/07/22/colorado-u-s-district-court-issues-tro-against-magazine-and-gun-ban/

I think this is a VERY good sign of things to come. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 7:21 AM, CMJeepster said:

The RI AG is ultimately going to lose. Bruen clearly paved the way for CCW across the US. 

RI is going to get bitch slapped. As long as WE press the issue and fight back. 

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

I found this article to be very informative and it asked questions that I hadn't thought about before: Your gun is none of the government's business | Napolitano (yahoo.com)

Yes, that first appeared in the NJ Herald. Napolitano lives in Sussex County.

NYPD adopts new concealed carry permit license rule after Supreme Court ruling (yahoo.com)

"Applicants will have to include four character references and a list of social media accounts they have used in the last three years. They will also have to sit for an in-person interview and undergo a firearms safety course."

55 minutes ago, CJack said:

Do they collect social media accounts for last three years of NYPD cops ?  How about interviewing NYPD  families every year to ensure no one is beating their wives ?

You should go into comedy! :D

In the past I've said the same thing when schools want to do random student drug testing... yeah, sure, if you also randomly test the staff, which would, of course, never fly.

• Agree 3

On 8/26/2022 at 8:29 AM, 1LtCAP said:

i'd read that the courts are already on ny for the sensitive area thing......how long will it take them to put the kabosh on this too?

Courts don't act on their own, someone needs to raise a case.

3 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

Not upheld. The judge basically said most of the law is garbage and would not survive an actual trial. It was dismissed for lack of standing. I don’t know why they didn’t grab a plaintiff with a permit and attach some money damages for making the permit useless. 

1 minute ago, raz-0 said:

Not upheld. The judge basically said most of the law is garbage and would not survive an actual trial. 

I don't read that at all in this article unless you have another one that has that info?

The lack of standing I can see - I think it's the GOA/GOF jumping in and throwing in a lawsuit right away without vetting a plaintiff.

6 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

I don't read that at all in this article unless you have another one that has that info?

The lack of standing I can see - I think it's the GOA/GOF jumping in and throwing in a lawsuit right away without vetting a plaintiff.

From the article:

The undersigned is left with a strong sense of the safety that a licensed concealed handgun regularly provides, or would provide, to the many law-abiding responsible citizens in the state too powerless to physically defend themselves in public without a handgun,” Suddaby wrote.

He was in favor of the plaintiff’s arguments that the “good character” requirement was based on “vague, subjective criteria.”

The judge also disagreed with the state including a list of locations barring gun owners from carrying in “sensitive” locations, which he said includes places that are “nonsensitive by nature.””

If you read the actual decision, it covers huge swaths of the law calling them incongruent with bruen and not likely to prevail at trial. 

• Like 1

https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/2022.08.31_order_on_pi_motion_0.pdf

I think this article is clearer in what happened:

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/manhattan/ny-state-of-politics/2022/09/01/new-york-s-gun-law-can-go-forward--but-court-calls-it-unconstitutional

New York's new concealed carry law, which sets requirements for applying for a license and where guns can be carried, survived an initial court challenge hours before it was set to take effect.

U.S. District Court Judge Glenn Suddaby denied an injunction against the law taking effect in a Wednesday ruling, essentially determining the defendants in the case, which included the advocacy organization Gun Owners of America, lacked proper standing. 

The decision was initially hailed by state Attorney General Letitia James and Gov. Kathy Hochul. But Suddaby at the same time concluded New York's law -- which includes a range of stipulations for being able to receive a concealed carry license such as a determination of moral standing and character references — was in violation of the Second Amendment. 

Despite the court's criticism of the law, the measure is in effect starting Thursday. 

26 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

I say let it all hit the fan FAST.  For decades, anti's  been hiding behind "We support 2A, Constitution blah blah blah.." .. may be FUDDs gonna finally wake up.. or not. 

On 9/9/2022 at 11:35 AM, CJack said:

I say let it all hit the fan FAST.  For decades, anti's  been hiding behind "We support 2A, Constitution blah blah blah.." .. may be FUDDs gonna finally wake up.. or not. 

Another example:  Old Fort Niagara affected by new gun law (yahoo.com)

2 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

Not in the eyes of the government apparently.

If you read through a lot of NJ law and regulations, you will see very much that first and foremost citizens are considered property of the state. From their perspective the criminal murdering you is just as problematic as you killing that criminal in self defense. You are both damaging their property. You are just as great an evil in their eyes as the murderer.