JohnnyB

Handgun transfer question

I should know the answer by now but want to be sure.

A friend of my wife's asked me.  My father (living) wants to give me a handgun, his daughter.

Can they do a COE or does she need a P2P with no FFL transfer an no NICS.

Or do they need an FFL transfer with no NICS?

Thanks!

Well now you've done it! I went to confirm my belief, but found something else. Check this out:

Person_Person_transfer_NICS_exemption.pdf (njsp.org)

The first paragraph of this PDF states:

"Handgun transfer/sale between IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBERS. No Dealer involved and no NICS check required. Immediate Family is defined as spouse, domestic partner, partner in a civil union couple, parent, stepparent, grandparent, sibling, step-sibling, child, stepchild, and grandchild, as related by blood or by law as per New Jersey law 2C:58-3n."

They then go on to describe a process of entering the 'purchaser's' SBI number, 'executing one permit' etc.

I'm not sure what the hell this means! I'll step back and see if someone else has done this and understands it.

5 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Well now you've done it! I went to confirm my belief, but found something else. Check this out:

Person_Person_transfer_NICS_exemption.pdf (njsp.org)

The first paragraph of this PDF states:

"Handgun transfer/sale between IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBERS. No Dealer involved and no NICS check required. Immediate Family is defined as spouse, domestic partner, partner in a civil union couple, parent, stepparent, grandparent, sibling, step-sibling, child, stepchild, and grandchild, as related by blood or by law as per New Jersey law 2C:58-3n."

They then go on to describe a process of entering the 'purchaser's' SBI number, 'executing one permit' etc.

I'm not sure what the hell this means! I'll step back and see if someone else has done this and understands it.

Thanks,

Seems to me the Daughter has to go through the whole NJ FPID and P2P process and they fill out all the info but no FFL or NICS.

9 hours ago, WP22 said:

just for accuracy. By law the daughter doesn't need to get a FPID but needs a P2P.

Is there another way to get a SBI number assigned to you other than applying for a FPID?

The process in the PDF seems very similar to getting a P2P, but not identical.

I know historically you could technically apply for a P2P without applying for a FPID, but I never knew anyone who did that. If they had, would a SBI number have been created for their P2P?

26 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Is there another way to get a SBI number assigned to you other than applying for a FPID? Get arrested.

The process in the PDF seems very similar to getting a P2P, but not identical. Yes it is.

I know historically you could technically apply for a P2P without applying for a FPID, but I never knew anyone who did that. If they had, would a SBI number have been created for their P2P? Yes.

28 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Is there another way to get a SBI number assigned to you other than applying for a FPID?

The process in the PDF seems very similar to getting a P2P, but not identical.

I know historically you could technically apply for a P2P without applying for a FPID, but I never knew anyone who did that. If they had, would a SBI number have been created for their P2P?

Yes, it is the same number for both. With the new FARS system, I don't recall an option to apply for only a PtPP. On the paper forms you could check the box for PtPP but not the FPIC. I think the new system gives you a FPIC regardless.

I recently got more pistol permits and they created and electronic FPIC automatically, even though I already have a paper one and did not ask for an electronic one.

It never really made any sense not to get the FPIC at the same time as the background check is identical and one check is sufficient for both if applying at the same time.

1 minute ago, PK90 said:

Is there another way to get a SBI number assigned to you other than applying for a FPID? Get arrested.

Other ways include being a teacher, scout leader or any other role that requires a background check in NJ.

• Agree 1