2 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Do not look for anything in NJ law that says it's legal to use hollowpoints for self defense in your home.  NJ law says nothing about this.

As with anything else, if the law does not say it is illegal, then IT'S LEGAL !

10 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

As with anything else, if the law does not say it is illegal, then IT'S LEGAL !

I agree with you..  Never said it was illegal.  

Many look in the statutes for something that says use of hollowpoints for SD in your home is legal.  Just advising the OP not to bother looking for that.

This again......:facepalm: 

Everything is technically illegal in this nanny state, but there are exceptions as GRIZ listed above. As I have said before, hollow points are legal to own under these exceptions PERIOD! If god forbid a violent and sudden self defense scenario would to occur, one would be forced to utilize ammo that is:

1. Available

2. Legal to own within the home

3. Effective

In typical NJ fashion there is no mention of using hollow point ammunition in a self-defense scenario in the statues, nor any ammo for that matter as NJ cannot fathom the concept that a civilian could effectively protect themselves and their loved ones within the home. The basic concepts of self defense that you and I understand elude the majority of those in this state including those in power. 

See Q13.  

https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml

13. I’m not a police officer, are hollow points legal for me to possess?

Yes.  They are legal for purchase and possess in your home or on land owned by you.  They are legal to possess and use at a gun range.  They are also legal to possess while traveling to and from such places. Ammunition lacking a hollow cavity at the tip, such as those with a polymer filling, are not considered to be hollow point ammunition.  An example of this can be seen with the Hornady Critical Defense / Critical Duty, Cor-Bon PowRball / Glaser Safety Slug and Nosler Inc. Defense ammunition.

sadly most police don't know the laws surrounding this either. we can't blame them though, 'cause that's the same as expecting me to know everything about every car that comes in.

officer tried to take my critical defense the night of my burglary. when i told him i thought the statute said i could possess, he checked, and came back in and left them with me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

sadly most police don't know the laws surrounding this either. we can't blame them though, 'cause that's the same as expecting me to know everything about every car that comes in.

officer tried to take my critical defense the night of my burglary. when i told him i thought the statute said i could possess, he checked, and came back in and left them with me.

It's actually worse that you not knowing every car. To be a fair comparison, it would have to be a guy in your profession who doesn't know how to drive.

Cops don't have to study gun laws like we do, because they are exempt from nearly all of them, and would most likely benefit from professional courtesy for anything but the most egregious offences.

As an example, when all my guns were in gunsitters during my divorce, a LEO friend offered to loan me a pistol for a match. He wasn't going to be able to attend so said to just drop by a day or two before and pick it up. Er, yeah, no. I can't do that.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Crazy 1

On 3/14/2022 at 11:09 PM, Mr.Stu said:

Cops don't have to study gun laws like we do, because they are exempt from nearly all of them, and would most likely benefit from professional courtesy for anything but the most egregious offences.

Yeah, that "professional courtesy" thing.

Seems to get extended a LOT...

On 3/14/2022 at 11:09 PM, Mr.Stu said:

It's actually worse that you not knowing every car. To be a fair comparison, it would have to be a guy in your profession who doesn't know how to drive.

As an example, when all my guns were in gunsitters during my divorce, a LEO friend offered to loan me a pistol for a match. He wasn't going to be able to attend so said to just drop by a day or two before and pick it up. Er, yeah, no. I can't do that.

i was in fact very polite about my statement. after all, in the long run they were there to help me.