45Doll

NYPD Moves To Stock Glock Triggers

12 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

I read the article quickly, but I don't recall seeing it mention anywhere that a 5 pound trigger pull is standard on a Glock handgun.

True, but it does say 5  was "manufacturer recommended ". 

1 hour ago, Old Glock guy said:

I read the article quickly, but I don't recall seeing it mention anywhere that a 5 pound trigger pull is standard on a Glock handgun.

Historically Glock's standard pull weight was 5.5 lbs. I know that's what they recommended for duty/carry. I tried to find a statement from Glock on that but couldn't. (At least in about 5 minutes.)

What I did find is interesting. I looked at a few pistol specs and now they list '28 N' as the pull weight for Gen 4 pistols. That's Newtons, and 28 N equals 6.25 lbs. For Gen 5 it seems to be 26 N, or 5.85 lbs.

One of the instructors at the range we belonged to in Stroudsburg was an ex NYPD firearms instructor. He had some hair raising stories about range experiences and shooting incidents in the city, mainly related to the firearm competence of the officers. His opinion was the 12 lb. trigger was an effort overcome incompetence. His opinion was many of the officers never practiced regularly and/or tactically, just enough to pass the qualifications. Which of course was not the same at all as a combat situation.

8 hours ago, 45Doll said:

One of the instructors at the range we belonged to in Stroudsburg was an ex NYPD firearms instructor. He had some hair raising stories about range experiences and shooting incidents in the city, mainly related to the firearm competence of the officers. His opinion was the 12 lb. trigger was an effort overcome incompetence. His opinion was many of the officers never practiced regularly and/or tactically, just enough to pass the qualifications. Which of course was not the same at all as a combat situation.

There are way too many cops that get a free ride on their quals. I have met some cops that are actually worried about qualifying when all they have to do is put 85% of the rounds somewhere inside the milk bottle on an FBI Q target. They shouldn't worry because most of the time they get to try over and over again because it would be a mismanagement of funds to have the money spent on their other training sitting at a desk in the precinct.

To be clear - I am not anti cop. I am anti lazy, incompetent people in any job. Lord knows I have had to deal with plenty in my career in the IT industry. Only today I spent another 8 hours fixing other peoples' screw ups.