Sign in to follow this  
Kevin125

Permit and Purchase Timing question

I am about to order a couple of new handguns.  I’m not sure how long it will take for these to actually show up at the shop but guessing more than a month......maybe more than several months.

On permits, my town seems to be running at about 60 days last I heard.  Slow for my town but not ridiculous.

How are you guys dealing with orders of handguns that take this long?  Are you placing the order and paying in full or close to it? Then applying for the P2P’s once its at the FFL?

I don’t know of a better way to do it.

thnx

I don't think there's a pat good answer given the lack of inventory and the widely varying pace of permit approvals.

In the 'old' days (meaning 2019 and before) I would apply for permits and order the handguns I wanted. My lists never included anything really exotic so 19 times out of 20 what I wanted was in stock and would come in promptly. My deal with my FFL was they had my business exclusively (unless they just could not locate a particular pistol), I would pay in full before their invoices were due, and they would hold them in the safe for me at no charge until my permits (and any multiple-handgun exemptions) were ready. Ironically back then the firearms came in promptly, while the permits didn't. Now, the permits (at least for me) are approved within about two weeks, but good luck ordering a handgun! Right now I'm waiting on their Glock order to arrive before my permit expirations.

Yeah, I have to talk to the FFL but more than likely I’ll pay in full if they want me to..then apply for the permit either when they know the pistols are en route..or once they have them.  I don’t think they’ll charge storage or anything. I just don’t want the permits to expire before the guns show up.

• Agree 1