82flh

moving to nj from out of state

Also, you don't need to register anything you bring into NJ.  There is a form for voluntary registration, but it's just that; voluntary.

Edit:  at least I think that is still the case, I know our governor gopher was hoping to change that.

yesw i bought 5 strike industries stock stops today they said over at njsp they are legal to use..also i cut the bayoneett lugs off...waiting for my 44/40 instant blue to coat it...i been polishing thr cuts for two days so it looks nice....nj bastards! ;)

Capture.JPG

With a valid (address matches your D/L) FID card, you are able to carry unloaded rifles and shotguns with you at all times except in specially prohibited places (like courthouses, schools, etc)

Without that valid FID, you can only transport unloaded firearms (rifles, shotguns, handguns and "others") directly between home and the range (and place of purchase and FFLs, but only for repair)

When you arrive in our G-dforsaken state, put in for a change of address on your old FID. All the info to do that, except for your new municipal code, is available at NJSP.org

Unless your new Chief is an a$$hole, you should not need to be re-fingerprinted.

Whenever you change address your FID becomes invalid 30 days later.

Applying for a new FID, or a replacement because you moved, it was lost or destroyed is the same process nomatter the circumstances.

The only difference is the first time you need to be fingerprinted for the background check. For subsequent applications the fingerprinting is unnecessary unless your previous FID was obtained before they started doing the fingerprints electronically. However, in some towns police chief is anti 2A and makes people get fingerprinted again just to make the process harder and more expensive to dissuade people from applying. 

59 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

My most recent NICS (2 weeks ago) came back the next business day. (Sundays excluded)

Same here.  The "I" in NICS is supposed to stand for "instant."  The next business day meant another 40 min. drive each way (so 1:20 total round trip) to my LGS to pick up my purchase. And as serfs in NJ, we are conditioned to think that one day is not too bad, when it sometimes takes a week or two. 

3 hours ago, 82flh said:

i hear your nics checks in NJ  are 6 months?...over here in rural TN where we only have a gas station and a deer stand,,, nics checks are 5 minutes...not sure how that works..lol

I've never heard of NICS being more than several days, 2-3 years ago it would be anywhere from 5 min to an hour. Getting a new/updated FID and/or new Permit to Purchase a Handgun can easily take 6 months, depending on the issuing agency based on where you live. I've waited over 6 months before, the last two batches have been under two weeks. Switching to electronic vs paper has speed it up for me. I go through NJSP since I do not have a local PD. Towns that do not put the manpower into them will still take 6 months or longer. 

I don't know you're reasoning for coming back to NJ, based on another thread you started it sounds like for family? If possible, have you thought about Pa instead? Not only will you keep your 2A Rights, you'll also keep a lot more of your money. NJ Property (and other) taxes are absurdly high.