SuperGuy185

Hi all I'm new here, just applied for my FID

Hey all,

Been browsing the forum for a little while now so I decided to post.  I live in Manalapan, and I just applied for FID card and my status is as follows:

8/10/21  Application Submitted

8/10/21 2 References Submitted

8/28/21 Finger Printed via IdentoGo

10/1/2021 Approved for FID and 1 permit

Is there anything else I should be doing regarding getting my FID and handgun permit?  My local FFL said I should have gotten 3 permits but I only requested one. (Lesson learned, I'm kicking myself now)

Does anyone know if Manalapan moves fast or slow?

Thank you for taking the time out to read this!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Manalapan is usually pretty good.  Its been a while since I applied for permits but 30 days or so was typical.  Expect a little longer now.

Just watch email for notices or anything you need to do.  Contact Lt. Drucker if you are not hearing back.  He is usually in 1 day per week. He is retired but covers Firearms. Good guy.

A good local shop is Howell Gun works. Inventory is low everywhere, but if you want “something”... like a simple 12 ga pump shotgun, they will probably have something like that on hand.

Also check out the FFLs listed here in the forums. Many good FFLs that operate small shops or out of homes (yes...legally) and they may have what your looking for.  Just ask here.

If you use an out of state shop like Heritage Guild in Easton, PA, they will have to transfer the gun to a NJ FFL that you pick.  I find it easier to just shop in NJ.

Avoid Dicks Sports.  That company is an enemy of the firearms community. Just my opinion.  

If you need a place to shoot, there are a number of Public ranges. But you can also join clubs like Old Bridge RPC and Central Jersey RPC.  Both clubs also have competition shoots open to the public that help newer shooters, but get some practice and or training first if you are new to shooting.  Its worth the time.

good luck and welcome

-Kevin

• Agree 2

Welcome.

If you knew you were going to purchase more than one pistol then yeah you should have applied for multiple permits.

Each time you want another pistol permit you need to pretty much do the entire process over again minus the fingerprints.  So stupid.

You know what you want to purchase?  If not, take a look at CZ has to offer.  They have some very well made handguns at very good price.

Good luck with the rest of the process.  Be safe.  Have fun.  And introduce some friends to the sport when you are ready to.  Again, welcome!

1 hour ago, gleninjersey said:

Welcome.

If you knew you were going to purchase more than one pistol then yeah you should have applied for multiple permits.

Each time you want another pistol permit you need to pretty much do the entire process over again minus the fingerprints.  So stupid.

You know what you want to purchase?  If not, take a look at CZ has to offer.  They have some very well made handguns at very good price.

Good luck with the rest of the process.  Be safe.  Have fun.  And introduce some friends to the sport when you are ready to.  Again, welcome!

Hey thanks for the post.  I am currently looking at the S&W M&P 9mm or the Beretta 92fs.  I am leaning towards to the S&W.  9mm is probably what I will shoot exclusively as I feel the most comfortable with that caliber.  I’ll check out what CZ has to offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

I was wondering, did you get an email at some point that said:

"Status Update: Criminal History Check Completed" ?

What date did you get that? I'm just wondering for purposes of comparing with my own pending application...

I actually received no such e-mail regarding my background check.

1 hour ago, Vitalian2184 said:

I actually received no such e-mail regarding my background check.

2 hours ago, Batt52 said:

The state is NOT sending out the email regarding the status update for completion of the criminal history check

Oh, well things are different than when I applied two years ago.... that explains why I didn't get that email, even though I got it really quickly last time.
Thanks for letting me know.