gleninjersey

Tropical Storm Ida Ravaging NJ

My area flooded like it's never flooded before.  We've been in our home for almost 16 years now and this is THE worst I've ever seen it.

Luckly we are on a rise in the land but across the street it dips.  The water spread at least 20 feet or more into neighbors front lawns and up to their foundations.  

Have a feeling this storm caught A LOT of people by surprse.

Deptford area had a tornado reported earlier.  Unknown damage.

Kearny had one. Severely damaged a large building with 400 people inside. It sounded like that huge Post Office near 15X.  Don’t know how that turned out. 

The source of info was live emergency services radio calls.

According to story on NJ.COM Bridgewater got 5.5 inches of rain in 2.5 hours.

Many areas have over half a foot of rain.

That's A LOT of rain in relatively short period of time.  I think it started raining hard near me around 6pm.  Poured hard for at least five hours straight.  Last hour or so it finally started to slow down.

Bridgewater here. By 10:30PM we had 6.58 inches of rainy (5.54 inches in 2.5 hours).

Basement flooded - sump pump couldn't keep up.

image0.jpg

Eventually caught up after an hour.  

image0.jpg

Still - it could have been worse.  About an hour ago I heard a boom and the whole house shook.

Apparently a house exploded in Somerville.  About 2 miles from me.

241178699_10227169379965929_7299794795673423049_n.png

240902352_10158093206276123_244652853146

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Kevin125 said:

Deptford area had a tornado reported earlier.  Unknown damage.

Kearny had one. Severely damaged a large building with 400 people inside. It sounded like that huge Post Office near 15X.  Don’t know how that turned out. 

The source of info was live emergency services radio calls.

mullica hill houses fooked up. one reported in beverly. in my area.....cherry hill/stratford area, only rain and some wind.

I measured just a hair over 5" of rain here in Morris County.  Fortunately almost no wind, so for the first time in awhile we didn't lose any trees.   I found a couple of new ceiling leaks caused, apparently, by the gutters overflowing, but we're on a hill so at least the basement stayed dry.

15 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

mullica hill houses fooked up. one reported in beverly. in my area.....cherry hill/stratford area, only rain and some wind.

I just got a call from one of my NJ employees. His house in Mullica Hill was damaged. It was his neighborhood that was destroyed. He said there are houses completely destroyed, cars blown all around, one in a pool. Other houses missing the top floor. He also said the woods behind his house are gone...

Those of you with flooded basements (or worse) have my sincere sympathy. I lived with flooded basements most of my life until we moved to our current house in 1994. We're on a 60 foot shale hill, so it's all down hill from here. That plus the 4" gravity drain I had installed under the footings to vent water out the side of the hill. That drain is just weeping this morning. When we had the 18" downpour in 24 hours in the 00's it was gushing. 

Had an empty garbage can sitting out yesterday. Looks like about 5" in it this morning.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Apparently a house exploded in Somerville.  About 2 miles from me.

There's video of that house on the News 12 video loop this morning.

Video of the twister that touched down in Mullica Hill too.

jesus glad your ok but dam...i'll tell you from experience....i was ground zero during hurrican sandy point pleasant....watch yout shit close...by the second day i had a neighbor stealing our bbq to cook on...stole the lighter fluid charcoal everything...theft will start within 2 days praying for you guys...

1 hour ago, gleninjersey said:

@Krdshrk sorry to hear about the basement.  

Relative to others doesn't look too bad.  

Time for a second sump pump well?

Wouldn't have helped - my neighbor has 2 sumps and he still flooded just as bad as I did.  

Bridgewater got 8.26 inches total of rain with 5.54" by 10:30PM - it's that sudden influx of water that hurt us.  I went outside during the worst of it - the sump pump was doing it's job, just wasn't able to keep up because the entire yard was soaked - I was sloshing through water walking through the lawn to check where the sump drains out.  

1 hour ago, Bklynracer said:

Murphy live on TV talking about storm flooding and damage. Unprecedented event.

Says more needs to be done dealing with climate change.

Haha! Why doesn't  he just wave his magic EO wand and make the evil bad climate go away? 

2 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

Murphy live on TV talking about storm flooding and damage. Unprecedented event.

Says more needs to be done dealing with climate change.

Bastards- Murphy, Deblasio, Shumer, etc, as usual exploiting human misery to push their demented agenda.