gleninjersey

NJ RESTRICTS BRINGING DEER HARVESTED FRON OUT OF STATE

Saw Facebook post about  NJ mostly restricting bringing in harvested deer from out of State due to CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease).

So if you hunt in PA, NY or elsewhere and have traditionally brought your deer back to NJ to be butchered start looking for alternatives.

"In the Garden State, where CWD has not been detected, the New Jersey Division of Fish and Game is taking similar steps to help prevent the introduction of the disease. First, the state has banned hunters from bringing back any whole cervid carcasses and intact heads. In addition, it has banned the sale and use of any hunting lures and scents derived from urine or glandular secretions. This is a big change when it comes to deer hunting, as many hunters use natural, deer-based attractants like doe in estrus to try and lure in bucks during archery season."

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/news/2021/08/as-pa-deer-hunting-season-quickly-approaches-brace-for-these-major-changes.html

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

Did anyone tell the deer not to cross the line into NJ from PA and NY? This is just stupid!

Hunterdon Deer Butcher made announcement on their Facebook page.

I've been going to him since I started hunting about five or six years ago.  Sucks will have to find some place in PA now.

Screenshot_20210908-152801_Facebook.jpg

5 hours ago, SwordOfTheLord said:

This is insane bureaucratic nonsense, is it being solely enforced by NJDEP or by State Police as well?

This is one case where I don't think that it is bureaucratic nonsense. A few years ago I had to bring deer to a check station here in VA due to a CWD quarantine zone being established in the region. I am in the Shenandoah Valley and there have been reports of CWD from WV and MD. The state biologists took tissue samples along with a section of the jaw for testing. I was given a number to check online. All of the deer were clean. My whole area tested negative. The biologist said that the only way to kill the CWD prions is with fire.

One major difference between NJ and VA is that we are not allowed to bait for deer or use scents derived from deer urine. Supposedly baiting causes rapid transmission among deer because deer don't normally eat so close together like they do on bait. I wouldn't be surprised if baiting was prohibited in CWD areas.

This is part of Murphy restricting hunters any way he can, he tried stealing fish and games money used for stocking trout, pheasants and quail, coodo's to fish and game counsel once again saving funds for these resources from the purchase of licenses and stamp's. Last time this happened it was Corzine who wanted the sportsman's funds. And lets not forget O'le Murph trying to dip his hand's into the firemen's Benevolent money also.