1LtCAP

10 minutes of ford heavy metal

brand new shelby gt500 just off the boat at nurburgring. was slower in this video by almost 2 minutes than the 2014 gt500. but this guy was leaving a lot of time on the table. took many of the turns faster than i saw the 14 taking them, but seemed to be braking much earlier and not re-accelerating as hard. he also had much traffic to deal with, which undoubtedly slowed his time a lot. i'll bet this beast can to into the 7:00 range easily. suddenly, i want one. don;t much care for the looks yet....but for that kinda performance, it'll grow on me super fast.

SHELBY GT500 vs Nürburgring Nordschleife! - YouTube

• Like 4

4 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

That's AWESOME.

the last good one i saw was one i found on svt dot com or some similar site. was the 14 gt500. they did a side-by-side of that with the zl1. the zl was faster on tight turns, but the shelby literally assassinated the blacktop on the straights. and was good enough in the turns to stay near the zl.  but you could hear that thing working.

13 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

the last good one i saw was one i found on svt dot com or some similar site. was the 14 gt500. they did a side-by-side of that with the zl1. the zl was faster on tight turns, but the shelby literally assassinated the blacktop on the straights. and was good enough in the turns to stay near the zl.  but you could hear that thing working.

Listening to that engine is half the experience I'm sure.  

I get the appeal of electric vehicles.  ALL torque ALL the time.  But there is nothing like the visercal interaction a car person experiences when you hear the engine and exhaust notes of a real muscle car.

Let's face it, most illegal street racing and ALL legal drag racing is't happening with many / any tight turns.  It's 99% a straight line from point A to end point B.

The suspension on that Shelby looked to be responding amazing though.  

14 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

I get the appeal of electric vehicles.  ALL torque ALL the time.  But there is nothing like the visercal interaction a car person experiences when you hear the engine and exhaust notes of a real muscle car.

Let's face it, most illegal street racing and ALL legal drag racing is't happening with many / any tight turns.  It's 99% a straight line from point A to end point B.

it was i was noticing less input than i'd expected for some of the harder turns. not many corrections either. it'd be interesting to see how fast this thing would run there if he REALLY pushed it

here ya go. watch this one. zl1 on top with  telemetry. you can watch the backgrounds to guage how they're doing had it been a side by side. and the shelby pulled away on the final straight where the zl topped out.

2013-14 Ford Mustang SVT Shelby GT500 Vs 2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1 Nürburgring Laps - YouTube

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

So true. Reminds me of the day many years ago in the late 60s/early 70s when a neighbor on my street in Jersey City brought home a new BOSS 429 Mustang. Only saw and heard the car one time for a minute.  But the exhaust sound was so amazing it has stuck with me for these ensuing 50 years.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

that's what people don't seem to understand. the sound, the feel, the smell, the vibration. it all plays a part. sadly, we're less than 1 generation away from kids not being able to experience that.

• Agree 1

1) this guy don't look 75.

2) i bet he trees young guys in that thing.

3) goddam that idle sends chills down me spine.....

Real 427 Thunderbolt 4-Speed Runs 8s | Ray Paquet Winds his FE to 9,200 RPM and he's 75 years old! - YouTube

now he refered to the fenders being 'glass. i always thought they were acid dipped steel.....

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

1) this guy don't look 75.

2) i bet he trees young guys in that thing.

3) goddam that idle sends chills down me spine.....

Real 427 Thunderbolt 4-Speed Runs 8s | Ray Paquet Winds his FE to 9,200 RPM and he's 75 years old! - YouTube

now he refered to the fenders being 'glass. i always thought they were acid dipped steel.....

Man I love 60-70 s hot rods. At seven years old i would walk into the auto parts store, around the corner from our house thats  how i  grew up around cars  

And I would have a list of parts to pick up Piston + rings - rod and main bearings and a gasket set with a case of oil  and  camshaft