mjtrip001

Do modern AR's require a brass deflector for left handed shooters?

Hello. This has been a great place for info anytime I needed it. I'm contemplating getting an AR (S&W M&P15 Sport II NJ Compliant model) while we still can. 

I'm left handed. I've never shot an AR before, but in the Army National Guard in the 80's - 90's, I had an M-16 A1 (with full auto mode).. I recall that the ejector didn't throw the brass to the side, but to the rear in a diagonal direction, and it would frequently end up in my shirt or hat or bouncing off my face, and sometimes I had to use a brass deflector. The deflector added it's own problems, such as sometimes it would deflect the brass right back into the chamber (fun). 

My question is this, do modern ARs do the same thing? Did they ever get them to eject to the side? Are there any other lefty's out there with an M&P15 that could comment on this? 

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Flip this horizontally for a left handed gun.  

7ece239117706b9926754d531edabdba.jpg

There's also a product called the Deflector brake that will help redirect the brass more to a 2:00/3:00 position.

I think you missed the actual question. The answer is:

AR-15s come in left handed now. Aero Precision. Stag Arms, Rock River Arms all make left handed ARs. I'm sure there are more as well. 

37 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

AR-15s come in left handed now.

Thanks, I'll look into that. I just hope they don't cost too much more. That NJ approved M&P15 is on sale for 700 right now, which is what piqued my interest for them in the first place. Thanks a lot.

I shoot with the 'wrong hand' too and have no problems shooting ARs.

5 hours ago, mjtrip001 said:

Thanks, I'll look into that. I just hope they don't cost too much more. That NJ approved M&P15 is on sale for 700 right now, which is what piqued my interest for them in the first place. Thanks a lot.

I would get a 'regular' AR, but that's my opinion.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, JackDaWack said:

Is the question in respect to the milspec brass deflector that is part of the upper reciever? 

Or an add-on modification?

Thanks for replying. It was a very long time ago, but I recall it was a removable clip on plastic piece that would redirect the brass. If I didn't use it, I was likely to get some hot brass down my shirt or in my face. It clipped into the hole in the handle.

48 minutes ago, mjtrip001 said:

Thanks for replying. It was a very long time ago, but I recall it was a removable clip on plastic piece that would redirect the brass. If I didn't use it, I was likely to get some hot brass down my shirt or in my face. It clipped into the hole in the handle.

OK I think I know what you're talking about.  The M16A1 did not have a built in brass deflector on the upper receiver.

image.thumb.png.097d5a9895b5f7435b8f74a574d9080c.png

Modern AR15 upper receivers generally have a brass deflector built in to the upper itself.

apar501603ac-ar15-assembled-upper-receiv

This will help the brass to be ejected away from you, so if you're shooting left handed with a right-hand ejecting rifle, it won't eject into your face/clothes.

There are now left handed model AR15s that eject the brass to the left, which may suit you more.  Stag Arms makes a good assortment of Left-ejecting ARs, and even make NJ Compliant models.

https://www.stagarms.com/products/stag-15/rifle.html?sa_ejection_orientation=16&sa_state_compliance=319