silverado427

The Gabby Petito Full Utah body cam video

Yeah, I've been following this story, too. I cannot even fathom what that young lady's family is going through... the growing sense of dread and despair... and the utter frustration that this guy is now hiding behind his lawyer! I mean, does he really think he can return home from a cross-country trip MINUS his girlfriend... and no one is going to notice?! And that he can dodge police questioning about her absence indefinitely? His behavior is just implicating himself and magnifying her family's pain. This guy has NO honor. What a bum... probably a murderer, too.

These cases are all too common. I know we all view these situations through our own "lens", but I do feel that people really need to teach their young daughters to be savvy about relationships, to learn how to maintain their own emotional self-control, to de-escalate situations with a date/boyfriend, to be cognizant of the physical differential, and most importantly, to just get the hell out of the situation at the earliest signs of an abusive dynamic forming. I understand that the "law" is apparently neutral and that the officers couldn't really consider the muscle/power differential between these two, but I also found it almost distasteful how deferential they were to him... they're joking around with him, complaining about their own girlfriends/wives, etc. - contrast that with how one of the officers talks to HER at minute 49 for example...he's got a total hard ass tone and attitude with her. They even have a long discussion about whether afterwards she might go "full on domestic abuse" on the boyfriend... it's like they heard "anxiety + woman" and had their minds made up... they never even considered that the boyfriend was also a full player in this drama, by locking her out of her own damn car on the highway, and therefore they were BOTH starting to spin out of control behaviorally. It's like they never even considered either that the boyfriend was perhaps charming the crap out of them and might lash out at her later (which is what I suspect happened). Of course, it's soooo easy to Monday morning quarterback these situations! I feel sorry for cops having to deal with people at their worst moments and trying to decipher their intentions from the most scant clues. Impossible job!

I also wonder what she said to her parents on that call? Because if I was her parent and I found out she just had an altercation with her boyfriend bad enough to involve police, I'd be putting money into her account and pleading with her to just get a flight home... and let him bring the van home himself. Deal with it when pressure has blown over. And if she didn't agree, I'd want a call every day! Oh, this poor kid... I'm afraid they're going to find her dead body in the desert somewhere. :(

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

and the utter frustration that this guy is now hiding behind his lawyer! I mean, does he really think he can return home from a cross-country trip MINUS his girlfriend... and no one is going to notice?! And that he can dodge police questioning about her absence indefinitely?

I understand he’s a person of interest and certainly the situation is extremely suspicious.   That said if I, or any of my kids, was in his position I’d go through a lawyer too.  Way too easy for PD or the media to entrap or crucify him otherwise.   

• Agree 1

Two lesbians employees of the Moonlite co op were murdered,  The same time the kids in the van where staying there.

This may or may not be linked. to the girls disappearance.

https://www.metroweekly.com/2021/08/lesbian-couple-shot-dead-in-utah-after-alerting-friends-to-creepy-guy-near-their-campsite/

They got involved with the two lesbians, somehow - or were rebuffed - booze drugs whatever - got out of control - the guy and 21 year old killed them - he then off'ed her  - easy peasy - LEO just needs to connect the dots...

He is as guilty as the day is long.

Modern day Bonnie and Clyde Gone awry - and the poor girl is as good as dead.

3 hours ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

They got involved with the two lesbians, somehow - or were rebuffed - booze drugs whatever - got out of control - the guy and 21 year old killed them - he then off'ed her  - easy peasy - LEO just needs to connect the dots...

He is as guilty as the day is long.

Modern day Bonnie and Clyde Gone awry - and the poor girl is as good as dead.

Case Closed, Johnson.  Let’s sprinkle Some crack on him and get out of here.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, voyager9 said:

I understand he’s a person of interest and certainly the situation is extremely suspicious.   That said if I, or any of my kids, was in his position I’d go through a lawyer too.  Way too easy for PD or the media to entrap or crucify him otherwise.   

Let me clarify my original statement...  I don't feel it's wrong for him to have a lawyer!  What's unconscionable is that he and his lawyer are apparently not speaking to the police at all. That's what I meant by "hiding behind a lawyer". He could be sitting in that police station, with his lawyer by his side, forthrightly saying: THIS is the last place & time where I saw her, and she was alive and perfectly fine when we separated. I'll help in any way I can. If he was innocent, that would not only put that affirmative statement on the record, but I'm guessing it would be incredibly helpful information to locating her (dead or alive). He's her boyfriend... they planned on getting married... if he was a decent guy (even if he was ticked off at her during the end of their trip), wouldn't his concern for her override any recent peevishness?

But instead, right now, my understanding is the police aren't even sure exactly where to look for her - how does THAT help anything? By refusing to speak with the police - even with a lawyer - frankly, it radiates extreme callousness, perhaps even sociopathy, or worse yet, just plain old guilt.

Legal representation is good... impeding a police investigation is not good!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Let me clarify my original statement...  I don't feel it's wrong for him to have a lawyer!  What's unconscionable is that he and his lawyer are apparently not speaking to the police at all. That's what I meant by "hiding behind a lawyer". He could be sitting in that police station, with his lawyer by his side, forthrightly saying: THIS is the last place & time where I saw her, and she was alive and perfectly fine when we separated. I'll help in any way I can. If he was innocent, that would not only put that affirmative statement on the record, but I'm guessing it would be incredibly helpful information to locating her (dead or alive). He's her boyfriend... they planned on getting married... if he was a decent guy (even if he was ticked off at her during the end of their trip), wouldn't his concern for her override any recent peevishness?

But instead, right now, my understanding is the police aren't even sure exactly where to look for her - how does THAT help anything? By refusing to speak with the police - even with a lawyer - frankly, it radiates extreme callousness, perhaps even sociopathy, or worse yet, just plain old guilt.

Legal representation is good... impeding a police investigation is not good!

People have been convicted of murder without the evidence of a body.

In this guy's case, it may simply be that speaking about literally anything and getting any part of it wrong will likely lead to his conviction and incarceration.

boyfriend: "We were drinking and we left about midnight"

"We have you on camera leaving at 2am, what happened in those missing two hours?"

When in fact he was drunk and has a swiss cheese memory.

It could also be that he murdered her and the two married girls in a complete blackout.

Upon coming out of blackout, he drops the girlfriend down a cavern and drives home.

His calculus probably goes about like this:  "Nothing I say or do will bring her back, therefore, telling the cops anything is not helpful, _to me_".    A normal person would be wracked with guilt.  Some non-trivial percentage of the population are sociopaths with literally zero guilt about anything.  Your average blue-haired tik-tok harpy is a good example and this demon probably is the same.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

His calculus probably goes about like this:  "Nothing I say or do will bring her back, therefore, telling the cops anything is not helpful, _to me_".    A normal person would be wracked with guilt.  Some non-trivial percentage of the population are sociopaths with literally zero guilt about anything.

Exactly!! It's all about him! Interestingly though, I saw on the news tonight that pressure is really ratcheting up at his family's home in Florida - random people are passing their house in - golf carts, cars, bicycles - with signs saying things like, "Where's Gabby?" etc. Even if he doesn't care, I would think his family members might start to crack under that kind of scrutiny, and then put pressure on HIM to do the right thing. For him to put her family though this kind of intense agony for his own self-interest is just so wrong, it's sickening! It might be an effective legal strategy, I grant you that, but it's morally appalling. If he killed her, he needs to at least give her family some closure. I can only imagine the constant state of "worrying & not knowing" would be the very worst kind of hell.

This reminds me of that case in South Jersey not that long ago - a young lady who was dating a guy from New York (I think he was a Wall Street type as I recall whose hobby was martial arts?) - he killed her, but wouldn't confess. In fact, he killed himself rather than confess. If some kids hadn't found her hastily dumped body along the side of a road, that family might never have known what happened, and wouldn't have been able to properly lay their child to rest. 

Wow, the story is really developing! The FBI is in the Laundrie family's home tonight in Florida - at their invitation apparently - but the family has told them that Brian has been "missing" since Tuesday. What the hell? Sooo, he had a 3-4 day lead to "escape"? I'm kind of pleased that the scene showed a CROWD of loud protestors camped out in front of their house. I'm suspecting that's why the family relented finally to talking to authorities - they probably couldn't take the pressure and scrutiny, as I suspected would happen. That kind of scorn and accusation rolling in would be hard to take (for anyone normal anyway, and I'll still give the benefit of the doubt that the family "might" be normal - though I'm having some doubts about that).

Meanwhile, tips are rolling in re: Grand Teton National Park - the last place she was seen. People saw them together as a couple on the 25th, but then other people saw him travelling alone on the 29th they just said on the news. Sooo... at least they have a place (though a VAST wilderness, unfortunately) and a 4-day window of time narrowed down.  Terrible story. I really give the family credit for keeping it in the news though... that publicity is helping the case, no doubt.

6 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Wow, the story is really developing! The FBI is in the Laundrie family's home tonight in Florida - at their invitation apparently - but the family has told them that Brian has been "missing" since Tuesday. What the hell? Sooo, he had a 3-4 day lead to "escape"? I'm kind of pleased that the scene showed a CROWD of loud protestors camped out in front of their house. I'm suspecting that's why the family relented finally to talking to authorities - they probably couldn't take the pressure and scrutiny, as I suspected would happen. That kind of scorn and accusation rolling in would be hard to take (for anyone normal anyway, and I'll still give the benefit of the doubt that the family "might" be normal - though I'm having some doubts about that).

Meanwhile, tips are rolling in re: Grand Teton National Park - the last place she was seen. People saw them together as a couple on the 25th, but then other people saw him travelling alone on the 29th they just said on the news. Sooo... at least they have a place (though a VAST wilderness, unfortunately) and a 4-day window of time narrowed down.  Terrible story. I really give the family credit for keeping it in the news though... that publicity is helping the case, no doubt.

You would think that with all this publicity that Gabby would have found a way to contact her family.  The fact that they have not heard from her for this long period of means only one thing!  Now it's all about who killed her!

18 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

What's unconscionable is that he and his lawyer are apparently not speaking to the police at all. That's what I meant by "hiding behind a lawyer". He could be sitting in that police station, with his lawyer by his side, forthrightly saying: THIS is the last place & time where I saw her, and she was alive and perfectly fine when we separated. I'll help in any way I can. 

I’d have to go back and read the wording of the police statements.  I thought they were carefully crafted to imply to the media that they hadn’t gotten any information from him.  Wording like “we haven’t talked to him” could mean just that.  The lawyer won’t let them talk to him but will relay questions/answers. Same with “he’s not cooperating” could just mean the lawyer said no when they asked to speak to him.   

Im not saying this guy is or isn’t guilty. It certainly looks like he is.  But I also don’t trust the PD not to try to manipulate the media and sway public opinion.  

15 hours ago, Malsua said:

People have been convicted of murder without the evidence of a body.

In this guy's case, it may simply be that speaking about literally anything and getting any part of it wrong will likely lead to his conviction and incarceration.

boyfriend: "We were drinking and we left about midnight"

"We have you on camera leaving at 2am, what happened in those missing two hours?"

When in fact he was drunk and has a swiss cheese memory.

It could also be that he murdered her and the two married girls in a complete blackout.

Upon coming out of blackout, he drops the girlfriend down a cavern and drives home.

His calculus probably goes about like this:  "Nothing I say or do will bring her back, therefore, telling the cops anything is not helpful, _to me_".    A normal person would be wracked with guilt.  Some non-trivial percentage of the population are sociopaths with literally zero guilt about anything.  Your average blue-haired tik-tok harpy is a good example and this demon probably is the same.

That's what the lawyer is for. In a situation like this,  I'd expect a thoroughly scripted statement that is vague enough it wouldn't create corners to be backed into unless the guy was straight up lying. 

They guy doesn't need to provided a statement to prove or defend his innocence, legally. Yet, it's clear as day he has no intentions helping anyone find his fiance, which is really what most people are focused on. 

The fact he's showing zero interest is very telling. 

Not sure if the missing 21 year old girl is even innocent in all of this considering she was the one having meltdowns and hitting the guy.

4 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Not sure if the missing 21 year old girl is even innocent in all of this considering she was the one having meltdowns and hitting the guy.

She comes across to me as 21 miles of crazy road not worth traveling.    I'd have been out of that level of crazy long before a proposal.

Not saying it's a death sentence though.  She probably needed another half dozen years of life to get her brain matured and possibly her hormone levels under control.   Before anyone jumps on me for that, I've known several women who were bonkers until they got their estrogen and some other  levels straightened out.    One even apologized to me about it after she did get evened out.

6 hours ago, voyager9 said:

I’d have to go back and read the wording of the police statements.  I thought they were carefully crafted to imply to the media that they hadn’t gotten any information from him.  Wording like “we haven’t talked to him” could mean just that.  The lawyer won’t let them talk to him but will relay questions/answers. Same with “he’s not cooperating” could just mean the lawyer said no when they asked to speak to him.   

Im not saying this guy is or isn’t guilty. It certainly looks like he is.  But I also don’t trust the PD not to try to manipulate the media and sway public opinion.  

I hear you on that. But, I was going on the statement released by his own attorney, which assertively stated that his client would remain silent based on advice of counsel. That made me think that the police statement was accurate rather than manipulative, because the statements align. They actually haven't spoken with him, because the lawyer advised against it.

And that's his right. But, again, all it does is make him appear guilty... and it certainly reveals him to be callous towards her worried family. IF he killed her (and I'm thinking that's highly probable at this point), he and his lawyer may be banking on the fact that the act was done in such isolation, far from any witnesses, and that her body is in a place so remote and hidden, that it will make bringing a case against him very difficult indeed. Yes, you can bring winning cases without a body, but it's a lot more difficult to build that kind of case. Again, IF he killed her, his lawyer may be playing those odds. I don't know that it's a smart play though. In the police tape, the young man admitted to having emotional problems of his own. Now isolated from family, afraid of being recognized by strangers... how long would it take for him to end up on a barstool, drunk and blabbing away? Or, hurting/killing himself, etc.? It would be a rare person indeed, someone with extreme self-control, who could hold a secret like that for the rest of his life... which is what would be required.

And I can't help but think, if he was innocent, why would would his lawyer recommend the very strategy that would make him look most guilty? I still don't see what they have to GAIN from not cooperating at all if he's innocent. 

3 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Not saying it's a death sentence though.  She probably needed another half dozen years of life to get her brain matured and possibly her hormone levels under control. 

Again, in all fairness, it sounds like they both had some self-admitted emotional issues and neither was very mature (understandable at their young ages). Certainly, his act of locking her out of the van alongside a highway doesn't exactly speak of maturity or his own ability to de-escalate fraught situations. It sounds like these were 2 young people locked in a van for far too long with the pressure ratcheting up week by week. 

You know, I've always believed that if you want to see if you're truly compatible with someone - friend or lover - just take a road trip together.... oh, you'll know soon enough! All the issues will be laid bare within the first 1000 miles (or less). This only solidifies my theory! 

3 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

And I can't help but think, if he was innocent, why would would his lawyer recommend the very strategy that would make him look most guilty?

They probably stumbled across the Clinton’s and DNC burying another box of ballots.   They got her but he now fears for his life.  

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, WP22 said:

Really? You are pleased with that?

Yeah (I'm quite the fascist apparently ;))! No, seriously though... I'm totally up for people doing actual "peaceful protest". From what I saw & heard, the rally was held in front of the house (not on their lawn), people held up signs, they chanted "where's Gabby?"... but there was no violence, no one pounded on their door, no one threw projectiles or did anything the slightest bit destructive (as said, not that I heard anyway!) And, low and behold, the public pressure seemed to have helped the situation because the family finally spoke with the police! So, yeah, I have no problem with what was done. That said, if I hear details that differ from this and show that they were actually a pitchfork-carrying, torch-carrying, rock-throwing mob, I would certainly adjust my opinion of the event accordingly.  

I’m not up on the details of this thing but they go on a trip and he and her separate.....and he just comes home then disappears from view.

Either he killed her and is at a loss what to do except hide under the covers...or maybe something bad happened to her at the hands of someone else and he is scared s@@@less he will be blamed.....or maybe she blew him off and he just said eff it and came home and wasn’t interested in explaining anything.  Then got scared when she is nowhere to be found.  Maybe there are other possibilities, but these seem the most likely to me.

The encounter with police looks bad for him. Her ending up missing or dead after that situation makes him their favorite person to talk to.

22 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Or, hurting/killing himself, etc.? It would be a rare person indeed, someone with extreme self-control, who could hold a secret like that for the rest of his life... which is what would be required.

O.J. and Casey Anthony got away with it so far.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, silverado427 said:

My road trip days are over.   Shit   "My wife want's to choke me out on the ride to Costco"

This is precisely why I’m flying my wife to Texas, while I drive…it’s a MUCH higher probability that both of us will make it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

So a body was found in the area where the police were looking for this girl.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/19/body-discovered-amid-gabby-petito-search-in-wyoming-national-park/

There is a report that about 10 minutes after the discovery, search dogs were loaded up and driven off, as if they weren't needed any longer.

I'm going to guess that numbnutz will be found swinging in a tree in the park he's hiding in.

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

So a body was found in the area where the police were looking for this girl.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/19/body-discovered-amid-gabby-petito-search-in-wyoming-national-park/

There is a report that about 10 minutes after the discovery, search dogs were loaded up and driven off, as if they weren't needed any longer.

I'm going to guess that numbnutz will be found swinging in a tree in the park he's hiding in.

Yeah, the FBI is saying the remains are "consistent with" her description, though it's not forensically confirmed yet. An unsurprising ending if it turns out to be her, but still, how heartbreaking. :(

Heartbreaking to be sure. I especially can't imagine what the families of both will be going through for the rest of their lives. I also can't help but think, from what little we've learned, is that the self absorption exhibited by these two young adults is becoming far too common. Tragic really, they had their whole lives ahead of them.