Lawnmower2021

First-time buyer, is it bad to request multiple handgun permits?

Hello Everyone,

I am relatively new to NJ and have never owned a gun before. I see that there is a combined FID and handgun permit form STS-033 here: https://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf

I am contemplating getting two handguns in different calibers. Does it impact the process to request one vs. two from the start? In the future if I want to get another handgun, do I need to use the same form and supply references again?

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong spot; feel free to move or delete if necessary :)

Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day!

With the new online system you cannot request more than one permit at a time that would need to be used within the 90 day window, unless renewed?  

There is no limit on the number of pistol purchase permits you can apply for in one go. If you do not apply for an exemption, you cannot use more than 60 in the 180 days that they are valid.

There is no point in applying for just 1 permit. You have to pay for the background check to apply for 1 plus $2 for the permit. If you apply for 6 you pay the same fee for one background check and $12 for the permits.

That is what I thought, Stu.  I didn't think it changed with the new online process.   If they are still $2 I would suggest that you get at least (3) when you apply.  If you don't use it so what.  You may decide you want more than a couple or a good deal might come along, etc.  You may decide you want an additional 22LR handgun as well.  You are allowed one handgun in the Republik every 30 days, however, you can purchase a long gun at the same time as you buy the handgun to save on additional background checks.  And even though you have a permit, you still need to pay for instant background check (NICs) when purchasing.  

When I was in NJ I would get 6 at a time, and the only downside to getting that many a time is the incentive to actually use them.  I can't count the number of times I bought a handgun just because I had a permit and didn't want to see it expire... 

I just applied for two permits and was required to provide the make, model, and serial number of the handguns I want to purchase. In the past, when everything was on paper, specifics weren't required, but this is my first time applying for permits on line and that info was required.

12 minutes ago, LennonGuy said:

I just applied for two permits and was required to provide the make, model, and serial number of the handguns I want to purchase. In the past, when everything was on paper, specifics weren't required, but this is my first time applying for permits on line and that info was required.

I have not done the permits in the last 9 months or so but I have call BS on this!  You get your permits and then you have 90 days, 180 with extension, to decide what you want. NO make, model and serial when you apply unless you asked to buy more than 1 handgun in 30 days. I have never asked for that exemption so I'm sure if they ask in that case.

On 9/17/2021 at 11:47 AM, Mr.Stu said:

If you do not apply for an exemption, you cannot use more than 60 6 in the 180 days that they are valid.

@Mr.Stu I fixed that for you. I know you meant 6. Not 60. Unless of course you're going to use a MHE for around 55 in one go!

@Lawnmower2021 Apply for six as above. You won't regret it. Having spare permit(s) on hand is never a bad thing.

26 minutes ago, LennonGuy said:

I just applied for two permits and was required to provide the make, model, and serial number of the handguns I want to purchase.

The only way this could happen is if you were filling out the Multiple Handgun Exemption (MHE) form, which requires that information. Get the right form. The application for Permits to Purchase a handgun has no such requirements.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

The only way this could happen is if you were filling out the Multiple Handgun Exemption (MHE) form, which requires that information. Get the right form.

This is what I figured must have happened.  I never applied for an MHE and I thought that could require more info!

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

I have not done the permits in the last 9 months or so but I have call BS on this!  You get your permits and then you have 90 days, 180 with extension, to decide what you want. NO make, model and serial when you apply unless you asked to buy more than 1 handgun in 30 days. I have never asked for that exemption so I'm sure if they ask in that case.

Before you call "BS", read my post. I was quite clear. I literally said I applied for two permits, which requires an exemption application, which requires naming the guns you're buying. And btw, why in the world would I "BS" in a post on this forum? What would possibly be my motivation?? I haven't "lied" to anyone except my wife in years, but I had reasons for that! I certainly have no reason to do it here! LOL!

1 minute ago, LennonGuy said:

Before you call "BS", read my post. I was quite clear. I literally said I applied for two permits, which requires an exemption application, which requires naming the guns you're buying. And btw, why in the world would I "BS" in a post on this forum? What would possibly be my motivation?? I haven't "lied" to anyone except my wife in years, but I had reasons for that! I certainly have no reason to do it here! LOL!

It was not a personal attack!  I was speaking of the report that 2 permits require make, model and serial #.  You can get up to 6 permits at one time without having to provide that information. you will then have up to 6 months to use them. Only 1 purchase of 1 gun every 30 days. 

Applying for 1 to 6 does NOT require an exemption UNLESS you intend to buy more than one at the same time or within a 30 day period. I am not trying to mislead you in any way.

• Agree 1

On 12/13/2021 at 10:40 PM, JohnnyB said:

It was not a personal attack!  I was speaking of the report that 2 permits require make, model and serial #.  You can get up to 6 permits at one time without having to provide that information. you will then have up to 6 months to use them. Only 1 purchase of 1 gun every 30 days. 

Applying for 1 to 6 does NOT require an exemption UNLESS you intend to buy more than one at the same time or within a 30 day period. I am not trying to mislead you in any way.

Ok, I understand it wasn't an attack. All I can say is, I literally, LITERALLY, just had to file an application to purchase two handguns being held for me by the FLL I use. And I HAD TO (in other words, it was NOT optional!) fill out the make, model number, and serial number of each of the two guns I want to buy. I didn't ask them if they wanted the information! It was REQUIRED for me to hit the word "continue" on the application on-line. I don't know what else to tell you. Why would I make this up?? And to be clear, as soon as I changed the "1" on how many permits I wanted to "2", that's when I had to file for the exemption. BTW, sorry if I am coming off as "hostile" in any way! I don't mean to be at all...I am just really confused here!

40 minutes ago, LennonGuy said:

Ok, I understand it wasn't an attack. All I can say is, I literally, LITERALLY, just had to file an application to purchase two handguns being held for me by the FLL I use. And I HAD TO (in other words, it was NOT optional!) fill out the make, model number, and serial number of each of the two guns I want to buy. I didn't ask them if they wanted the information! It was REQUIRED for me to hit the word "continue" on the application on-line. I don't know what else to tell you. Why would I make this up?? And to be clear, as soon as I changed the "1" on how many permits I wanted to "2", that's when I had to file for the exemption. BTW, sorry if I am coming off as "hostile" in any way! I don't mean to be at all...I am just really confused here!

You're not the first to be confused in NJ. So don't sweat it. We understand. This is New Jersey, where confusion is part of the strategy to discourage you from buying guns.

The only reason you would be required to fill out and submit a Multiple Handgun Exemption (MHE) for the two handguns at your FFL is if you wanted to (or had to) purchase both handguns on the same day. In that case, make, model and serial number would be required.

Otherwise, you would apply for two (or more) Permits to Purchase (P2Ps) which don't require any specific information, and you would have used each of those per NJ law at least 30 days apart.

And by the way, to use a MHE, you would still have to have (in your case) two P2Ps. A MHE is not a substitute for P2Ps. It only lets you execute more than one P2P at a time and skip the 30-day waiting period between purchases.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LennonGuy said:

It's simple actually!  NJ has a rule that you can only buy one handgun in a 30 day period. Think of them as shopping passes. You can get up to 6 at a time with no specific gun info since you have not yet shopped.

If you want to break the 30 day rule as @45Doll said and pick them both up at once, you are asking for special permission which requires more information about the guns you want to buy.  In your earlier posts, you never told us you wanted 2 at the same time. That's where the confusion on our part started.

8 hours ago, 45Doll said:

You're not the first to be confused in NJ. So don't sweat it. We understand. This is New Jersey, where confusion is part of the strategy to discourage you from buying guns.

This is one of the most descriptive comments I've ever seen regarding NJ Firearms Law.

• Like 1

I don't believe there's an actual restriction to 6 permits at one time.  You could technically buy 100, you just won't be able to use more than 6 before they expire in the 180 days, without a MHE.  Hopefully though whatever dude you have doing your paperwork will tell you it's silly to get more than 6.

• Agree 1

With the old paper forms, the PtPP request was separate from the MHE request. In the past I got PtPPs and then subsequently applied for a MHE to use some of the PtPPs I already had.

With FARS, that does not seem to be an option as you get new PtPPs with the MHE request.

The good news is that I was told by the trooper that handled firearms applications in my area that NJSP have never denied an MHE unless the applicant was prohibited from acquiring handguns at all. When I did my first MHE, I wrote a couple of paragraphs explaining that I wanted to get multiple handguns because I was an NRA instructor and was going to be teaching a class. The NJSP firearms unit called me and asked me to resubmit page 2 of the application stating only that "I collect guns" rather then the long explanation.

• Haha 2

@Mr.Stu Right! I was going to do something similar my first time around with an MHE. But after carefully reading the statute and the form itself, I realized that "furthering my collection' was a satisfactory reason. So, I used that reason and shut my mouth!

In New Jersey there's nothing quite like walking out of an FFL with a milk crate full of handgun cases.

Viva la collection!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sota said:

I don't believe there's an actual restriction to 6 permits at one time.  You could technically buy 100, you just won't be able to use more than 6 before they expire in the 180 days, without a MHE.  Hopefully though whatever dude you have doing your paperwork will tell you it's silly to get more than 6.

Theoretically executing six is possible, but it didn't always work out. Your timing had to be really good. The main limiting factor for me was actually getting the paper permits in hand within a week of their start date. There was a time when it was taking two weeks! You only have about 28 days to play with in the 180 considering timing, days closed, holidays, NICS delays etc.

Now with the electronic version you should be able to exercise your first permit the day it's issued. So I think six in 180 days is much more doable.

• Agree 1