Old Glock guy

Gun for Hire Urban Carbine 2 AAR

I attended this class again a couple of days ago.  It is a solid intermediate to advanced offering, which I had attended many times previously.  It is primarily designed for an AR-15/M4 type platform, but they encourage the use of any center-fire semi-auto rifle or carbine.  In addition to an AR, I had run it in the past with an AK and a 9mm carbine. In this most recent class, I wanted to try it with my Mini 14.  For those unfamiliar with it, the Mini 14 uses the same .223/5.56 ammo as an AR, but the controls are a little trickier to operate, at least for me.  The mags need to be rocked into place, similar to an AK, and the empties don't drop out at the push of a button like an AR, but need to be grasped and pulled free.

Right from the start, I had issues with the Mini 14 malfunctioning.  It was frequently failing to eject, and getting shells stuck in the ejection port.  I tried working through it, clearing the malfunctions as they occurred, but I felt like I was holding up the class.  Luckily, I had brought an AR-15 as backup, so I switched over to that on the next break.  In our next drill, we were supposed to load dummy rounds into our mags to induce malfunctions.  I explained to our instructor Wayne, who was new to me, that I had never been in a class where we used the dummy rounds, so I had not thought to bring them.  Plus, I had just had a bunch of malfunction practice with my Mini 14.  I don't think he found that as amusing as I did, but my Stag Arms Model 2 ran flawlessly for the rest of the class, as it always has. 

I have explained to people that the reasons I have taken some of the intermediate to advanced level classes many time are these:

1. It gives me a chance to practice many things I've learned, which one generally can't do on a static range.

2. I pick up new tidbits of information and am reminded of some things I had forgotten.

3. I get the chance to test different weapons and gear under a bit of stress.

To those I should add a fourth:  Different instructors give the class a fresh look with things such as drills that I had not seen before.

The last few times I took this course, the lead instructors were Tony and Bob, and they were great. I had seen Wayne as a backup instructor, but this was the first time I was in a class that he led.  With only four of us in the class, there was no need for additional instructors.  The other students were experienced, and everyone seemed to have a good grasp of safety fundamentals.  With such a small group, Wayne was able to provide lots of individual guidance.  Even though I was wishing I could find a place to hide early on when my Mini 14 was giving me fits, he was patient while I worked through it 

I should note that as a returning student, I am able to attend these GFH classes at half price.  While they are worth the money at full retail, they are an incredible bargain at half off.

I would recommend them highly to anyone in the area who is looking for solid intermediate to advanced training from well-qualified instructors with military and LE backgrounds.

Nice.

I also like to take repeat classes - usually a basic or intermediate level class. You are often drinking from a firehose of info in classes like this. Repeating classes let’s you focus on something new that you missed or didn’t spend enough time on previously. You always learn something new - even if it is how not to do something. It also gives you a “measuring stick” based on your performance that lets you evaluate your practice following training. 

Couple of questions:

How long is the class?
What was the approx. round count?
What was the cost?

Thanks for the AAR.

Thanks HE.  I remembered that you said you like to repeat basic and intermediate level classes.  I agree that's where the meat of the practical learning is.  I've been in a few GFH classes with LE in attendance, including guys from NYPD who said they don't get much firearms training. 

To answer your questions:

The class is listed at four hours, but finished about a half hour early, because we didn't have to run two lines of shooters due to the small class size.

Round count was approximately 300 carbine, 50 handgun.

List price for this class and similar ones is $235, with 5-10% discounts for members at various levels, and 50% off for repeat students, as I mentioned.