kpn

moving gun out of state

https://www.northamerican.com/blog/view/all-blogs/2018/08/15/lawyers-ammo-and-moving

Most moving companies won't transport handguns.

All will refuse to transport ammunition.

My last move across NJ I moved all my firearms myself.  I'd definitely move them myself for a cross-country move too.

On 9/22/2021 at 2:26 PM, DirtyDigz said:

I'd definitely move them myself for a cross-country move too.

Agree.

Personally I wouldn't trust someone else with my guns, so I'd drive them myself.

As for ammo and other related gun stuff, unless you have it labelled as such or clearly stored in firearms-looking bins, i don't know how the movers would be able to tell that they're moving it.

I'd definitely move them myself for a cross-country move too.

I'm likely to be wrestling with that next year.  Moving everything myself won't leave a lot of room in the car for anything else, and I'll be looking at 4 long days of driving...3 nervous nights with the car unattended in a hotel or motel parking lot.  I'm not thrilled with that situation either.

Just food for thought, but it is perfectly legal to mail a firearm to yourself at another address in the US. I have a vague recollection that handguns must go via common carrier other than USPS - basically UPS or Fedex and I think Fedex recently decided to stop carrying firearms unless sent from an FFL.

All will refuse to transport ammunition.

Damn.  That’s like another whole moving truck itself.    

Seems the best option is to use up all the ammo before you go and then mail the firearms to yourself.  

3 hours ago, kpn said:

Thanks everyone bad news not sure how I'm going to do this, good news is  I'll be moving out of NJ

I ferried my guns to Florida in the car, mostly.  3 trips south, I brought guns.  I sort of have a lot, so I couldn't do it all at once and haul much else.  The long guns were the problem.   Most of the handguns were done in one trip.

The last few days when the house was almost empty we shipped my gun cabinet in the PODS pod.  I put some mosins, a couple BB guns and a crappy 22 in there,  I packed about 30 boxes of 9mm in the bottom, strapped it to the side of the pod and off it went.  I figured it if got stolen, I wasn't out my good stuff.

3 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Just food for thought, but it is perfectly legal to mail a firearm to yourself at another address in the US. I have a vague recollection that handguns must go via common carrier other than USPS - basically UPS or Fedex and I think Fedex recently decided to stop carrying firearms unless sent from an FFL.

Quite true.  UPS used to do that as well, not sure if they still do. 

It works because if you are there to sign when the guns are shipped, and you are on the other end to sign for the delivery, no transfer has occurred.  Ownership never changed.   So it is perfectly legal.

That said, it can be really hard to convince the clerk at the counter, and the supervisor who will inevitably be called in, that it is legal.  Be prepared with chapter and verse of the relevant laws, not because they will listen to you, but to convince them that maybe they should look it up for themselves.  

3 hours ago, voyager9 said:

Damn.  That’s like another whole moving truck itself.    

Seems the best option is to use up all the ammo before you go and then mail the firearms to yourself.  

One can always thin out the inventory here and also unload the ammo so its'a win win for all! Just putting all the options out there! :D

30 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

My bigger concern would be what to do with the ammo.  Hypothetically, if one had a lot of it stored due to concerns about shortages and high prices, that stuff can take up a lot of space and be really heavy.  Just sayin'. 

I made a dedicated run to FL just for that  sold off thousands of rds just to get down to a truckload lol! My truck is a Tacoma so it was a bit limited for payload capacity. I actually weighed and labeled every ammo can before I sold, narrowed it down and sold off " excess". Was still overweight a lot with other stuff but wasnt too concerned. Slept in the truck too. And just to break the boredom of the long drive decided to get a speeding ticket. Was raining so the cop kinda leaned in the passenger window to have me sign off, if he only knew what was in those suitcases stacked on the seat he was leaning on....

On 9/25/2021 at 1:02 PM, My1stGlock said:

One can always thin out the inventory here and also unload the ammo so its'a win win for all! Just putting all the options out there! :D

:D  I'll likely post some guns here, once I'm sure of what I can part with.

I do have a fair bit of powder, reloading dies, and some other assorted gear up on the NJ Guns For Sale MeWe group.

On 9/28/2021 at 10:26 AM, 10X said:

:D  I'll likely post some guns here, once I'm sure of what I can part with.

I do have a fair bit of powder, reloading dies, and some other assorted gear up on the NJ Guns For Sale MeWe group.

Put up a sign at the club first!!!

4 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Put up a sign at the club first!!!

Will do!  I've actually had one up for awhile with powder, dies, and some components; I need to get an updated one there soon.

• Agree 1