GFarra31

Red Dot for a SIG P320 Full Size

Hi everyone,

I started shooting a year ago when i purchased my first firearm...optics ready SIG P320 full size in 9mm.   It has SIGs X-Ray front sight and the blacked out rear.    I wanted to learn on iron sights before leaping into red dots.   I wear glasses and without them I often struggle to gain focus on the front sight.   I started thinking maybe I should migrate to red dot sooner and learn how to use it simply because of my eye sight.   I can see distance no problem but focusing on anything arms length or shorter requires glasses.    Would the red dot make my life easier here??

I know the SIGs are already set up for ROMEO and Leopold.    I think I've read that Holoson makes the Romeo's for SIG, but I am not 100% on that, maybe someone here knows.    I also know that there are adapter plates available but I am not sure for which brands.

Can someone lead me to some info on which which brand dots I can get to work with the P320?

Out of those that will work, which are the better ones?   I was going to consider Trijicon, Venom, Holoson if adapters are available.

Is adding a red dot something I can do myself, or is it better to have a gunsmith install it and get it dialed in?

Lastly, I assume i will need to also add taller iron sights to my set up, correct as the red dot would make the current sights useless??

Thank you, George

What optic mounting plate do you have for your P320?  Different red dots have different footprints.  

I have a Holosun HS507c that I'll be putting on a Walther PDP.

I have the Sig RXP Slide on my P226 - It's milled for a Sig Romeo 1 Pro and has the suppressor height sights.  This way the red dot is basically cowitnessed to the sights.  With standard height sights, you may or may not be able to see through the optic window to see the dot.  

NV5Ofxv.jpg  

You should be able to install the sight yourself, however you will also have to sight it in yourself as well.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GFarra31 said:

Ofcourse no sooner do i reply, i see the following info on SIG' website.    My particular model allows for the direct mounting of the Romeo1PRO as well as the Delta Point Pro.

I am assuming I would need an adapter plate to mount others?

George

Yes - you would need a plate with the appropriate cut/screw holes, depending on which optic you plan on mounting.  Holosun's are nice in that they share the same footprint as the Trijicon RMR, and the price doesn't break the bank.

That being said - if it can fit the Romeo1PRO then maybe go for that.  The one I have is certainly a quality optic and it's easy to find the dot (I have the 6MOA version).  The Leupold Delta Point Pro is another excellent optic as well.  

Thank you again.    From what I can tell, the way my slide works I will lose my rear sight as it is part of the cover plate.   It looks like the Romeo1PRO may have incorporated a notch in the rear that would be used in conjunction with both the dot and the front sight in the event the dot fails.....so i guess that may lead me to the Romeo afterall.    Gonna keep doing some reading because I dont want to lose my iron sights....I want them as back up/co-witness.

I use Holosuns (with the solar panels), because they work best for my old eyes.
Ya say you wear glasses and that you struggle with seeing your sights.

IF you suffer from astigmatism, try the red dots before buying them if you can. Different brand dots sometimes are worse or better than others.
Astigmatism smears the dot. May make it look like a starburst, a comet, or comma. Holosuns seem to work best for my eyes and the other thing with red dots, you'll be forced to dial down intensity to the tiniest you can see to eliminate that smearing.

m18_Holo.jpg

I recently put a Trijicon on my P320. It was a little bit of a challenge, because SIG has at least three different screw patterns for their slides. I didn't realize that initially so the first adapter plate I ordered did not fit. I ended up eating the shipping costs to return it. SIG also offers barrels that support and do not support the Chamber Indicator Slide design. That can also impact the fitment of a RDS.

The adapter plate I have does have rear sights built into it. Shortly after I installed mine I had the opportunity to shoot a P320 which had the SIG Romeo RDS installed from the factory. Overall I preferred the Trijicon, I did prefer the lower profile of the Romeo. It has taken me a little bit to get used to using the RDS, I feel like I'm aiming low, but the round goes where the dot was and that's what matters. 

If you decide to install it yourself, make sure you use removable lock-tite and do not over-torque the screws! Which leads me to another benefit of the Romeo, the battery is replaced from the top, no need to remove the RDS from the slide. Trijicon is from the bottom, so I need to remove it from the slide to replace the battery. 

@bhunted Thank you for the input.   My vision situation at this time is being far sighted.   I can see distance but I need glasses for anything arms length or closer.   My last eye doctor visit resulted in a prescription for readers.    But I work behind a computer and I have noticed over this past year my eye sight is getting worse so i will need to keep that in mind

@kc17 which adapter plate did you use?   I am looking at the Bopro M17 plate but I am first going to call SIG to see if my slide and the M17 slide have the same optic plate.   If they do I am leaning towards the Holoson.   i just need to find a new suppressor height front sight

Lastly, I guess from SIG, I can go with the Romeo but I believe I lose my rear sight...unless I spring for the RXP slide w/ Romeo

1 hour ago, GFarra31 said:

@bhunted Thank you for the input.   My vision situation at this time is being far sighted.   I can see distance but I need glasses for anything arms length or closer.   My last eye doctor visit resulted in a prescription for readers.    But I work behind a computer and I have noticed over this past year my eye sight is getting worse so i will need to keep that in mind

@kc17 which adapter plate did you use?   I am looking at the Bopro M17 plate but I am first going to call SIG to see if my slide and the M17 slide have the same optic plate.   If they do I am leaning towards the Holoson.   i just need to find a new suppressor height front sight

Lastly, I guess from SIG, I can go with the Romeo but I believe I lose my rear sight...unless I spring for the RXP slide w/ Romeo

I did go with BOPRO.

here's the best article on the web on MRD footprints and which sights share which footprint. 

https://optics-info.com/footprints-on-red-dot-sights/

I will say the EGW's adapters cost no more than anyone else's, are high quality, and they seem to have a lot more on hand than many other makers of adapters. 

I have a full size P320 with the older Sig Romeo dot (different mounting then the Pro and Leupold) and I have a M18 and Walther PDP with Holosun 507c x2 with the acss reticle. For me hands down the Holosun was the way to go. You just need the right adapter plate.