DirtyDigz

AR15 Newbie - building a first AR

How do you like that Hera Arms stock? I am very intrigued by it and am thinking about picking one up.

I like it a lot. Looks great. NJ compliant. Easy to install. Great feel. The only complaint I have it that is a bit short but they do sell spacers for that. Also is hard to fit it really flush to the receiver

Also it's not a pistol grip right?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

California considers it a PG so I'm sure NJ does too. Also the Hera stock is light weight, fixed So it's NJ compliant. Strong and durable. Different look to the rifles with it. I like it. It's more suitable for short barrel auto rifles, makes them a poor mans FN P20

Fixed stock that retains an adjustable LOP by using inserts that go behind the recoil pad.

Stronger than most pinned AR stocks. The receiver extension is completely covered and supported by the stock meeting the receiver at the receiver extension threads and at the pistol grip.

Thank you for the clarification. It won't replace my fixed magpul stocks but I see the benefits.

IMG_3136_zpsmuevauux.jpg

IMG_3135_zpsryh194o7.jpg

IMG_3136_zpsmuevauux.jpg

Ok my first AR. Ok I went with a Radical Firearms Upper receiver, 1 in 7, 16 inch barrel and round handguard. Spikes Tactical Muzzle brake pinned and welded. Spikes Tactical BCG and Strike Industries Red Charging handle. 

On my Lower I got a Spikes Tactical Billet Warthog Lower Receiver , Spikes Tactical Lower Parts Kit, CMC Trigger 3.5 Lb, and the Hera Arms CQR fixed Stock and an MDX Milspec buffer kit. 

Next is the Magpul Mbus back up Sights that I already have (in pictures) and I'm getting me some kind of red dot of AR scope.

went with a already assembled Upper this time because I dont have all the tools needed. Next build I will build the upper and instead of the lower.might change the stock and Grip in this AR after I shoot it if I don't like the feel of it. And planning on going with a Spikes Tactical Upper too.

• Like 1

Building my Mega Arms forged lower today. Almost done...but I launched the f&@$ing bolt catch spring across my basement. 

Of all the springs to lose, I lose the easy one!!! Off to order one from Brownells. Lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I lost so many springs that I now do that part in the shower with the door closed and a king size white sheet surrounding me.

Never lost one since!

I usually install springs/detents inside a large clear trash bag. This one I didn't, cause it's an  'easy one'. 

I won't do THAT twice!! Lol

$3 later, Brownells to the rescue .

Fun fact. You can fit an entire LPK (minus the pistol grip) in an Altoids tin with room to spare for some gas rings, an extractor, some extractor springs, a cam pin, and  firing pin retainer. I keep one in each rifle bag with a rubber band around it. A firing pin, complete bolt and carrier and charging handle go in some old Oakley sunglasses cases I have.

• Like 1

Brownells delivered my bolt catch springs today, apparently they come 5 to a pack, so I have spares.

I finished the lower. The upper is at my dad's house in Tx, so will have to wait for pics until my next ranch trip. However, it will be very similar to this one. 

I've got to order a few spare LPK's and put together some emergency kits. Thanks for the tip about the Altoids tin, HE. Great idea!

IMG_8769.JPG

I have another dumb question - how do you guys shop for part?

1. Go to an online marketplace like Brownells, PSA,.., and only buy what's available on that website.

2. Search for the manufacturer you like and buy directly from them.

If it's the former, which site has the most quality stuffs?

2 minutes ago, Nam Le said:

I have another dumb question - how do you guys shop for part?

1. Go to an online marketplace like Brownells, PSA,.., and only buy what's available on that website.

2. Search for the manufacturer you like and buy directly from them.

If it's the former, which site has the most quality stuffs?

I shop from sites like Primary Arms, PSA, Brownells, MidwayUSA, etc.  

I found this while looking around:

https://progunmillennial.wordpress.com/2018/08/24/the-idiocy-of-the-pinned-welded-barrel/

Can anyone help to confirm if this is true?

The muzzle device basically has to come off any time you want to change anything about your upper (besides swapping the entire barrel and gas system together). It’s like the very last thing you put on the gun, and permanently attaching it means that everything else behind it is just as permanently attached.

boys and I built their first ARs this weekend.  Have to bring to Steve for muzzle brakes and stock pinning

I do need 2 forward assists but will order those tonight (forgot them when getting everything for the builds)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nam Le said:

I found this while looking around:

https://progunmillennial.wordpress.com/2018/08/24/the-idiocy-of-the-pinned-welded-barrel/

Can anyone help to confirm if this is true?

It depends I suppose.  If your handguard has no clearance you won't be able to remove it over the muzzle device.  You probably cannot get the gas block over the muzzle device either.  Also the barrel nut.  Yeah so you have to unpin just to change anything.

58 minutes ago, Ryu said:

It depends I suppose.  If your handguard has no clearance you won't be able to remove it over the muzzle device.  You probably cannot get the gas block over the muzzle device either.  Also the barrel nut.  Yeah so you have to unpin just to change anything.

?  of course you can remove the handguard.  Remember, your handguard has to have clearance on the gas block and the gas block is taller than the brake

42 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

Yes a pinned muzzle brake can be removed without destroying the threads.  Grind down past the weld.  Pull out pin and unscrew brake.  Been there. Done it.  

This. 

I have done this several times myself WITHOUT damaging threads. 

• Agree 1