DirtyDigz

AR15 Newbie - building a first AR

Generally a muzzle brake has a small exit hole, where flash hiders are open ended. Here is a link to a A2 look-alike muzzle brake. Notice the small hole for the bullet to pass through on the front.

I have this brake on all 3 of my carbines. Great product, very effective, and doesn't have the concussive blast that some other brakes have.

Jeff

Lots of great info here and been reading through the link that was posted. Having never built an AR, I'm on the fence as to buy vs. build. One option I was considering is that GFH Build a BeAR class where they guide you on building one. Any suggestions either way? Spikes looks like they pretty solid stuff, as does Daniel Defense and BCM. So many options for an AR that it makes my head spin! Thanks for the input!

I am new to the site. So forgive me if Im asking questions that have been asked and if they are newbie questions.

I am starting out with the AR. I got the bug to want to build one and as I have found with many things, its always better to build your own if you want to be able to understand it. So, my first question is: Where do I begin? Is there a book on how it all goes together? What is the best way to start??? Any info would be appreciated.

I would recommend buying one first to familiarize yourself with the weapon system first. I personally think to many variables to build first one.

Unless your taking lower with parts kit install and slapping a upper on. Then that type of so called "build" would be easier.

Not saying you couldn't do it though.

Do lots of research first so you don't end up with crap.

I would recommend buying one first to familiarize yourself with the weapon system first. I personally think to many variables to build first one.

Unless your taking lower with parts kit install and slapping a upper on. Then that type of so called "build" would be easier.

Not saying you couldn't do it though.

Do lots of research first so you don't end up with crap.

besides mounting the barrel.. what more could you possibly do to "build an AR"

at any rate.. put your own AR together.. it IS the best route..

I meant not knowing how to properly torque barrel nut and installing muzzle brake were the two major things I was getting at.

Along with checking proper head space.

the only advantage there is if you want some really odd barrel upper combo (and the knowledge of just knowing how to do it) I think most people are buying the upper attached to the barrel already..

brake is not difficult IMO...

i got an ar in a barter deal. after taking it apart to clean it i noticed there is little difference between a real one and a gas blow back airsoft one. even the bolt carrier is near the same. now im in process of stockpiling parts to build my own just thought i would throw that info out for someone on the fence to buy a cheap airsoft gun to practice with

Im looking to build and put together a AR due to the insane prices of them at the moment. I have found 80% complete lowers for 80$ or 100% for 900.......I wanted to know if any of you kind gentleman know where i could get the 20% millwork and cutting done on it and how much it would cost, and tbh since its my first build ever is there anything else i should ask them to do besides the 20% to complete it. I thank you all for taking the time to read this.

The 80% lowers are sold unseriealized, no ffl needed. YOU have to do the milling as YOU are allowed to make a firearm for YOURSELF. So if you cant do the milling, this might not be for you. Cant be transferred or sold. If i am wrong, someone can correct me.

I've started my first ever AR build.  Ended up going with the Spikes lower and assembled it with the PSA lower parts kit.  It was pretty simple it's scary lol.  Now deciding what to do with the upper.  Buy a complete one or build it up?  Searching for parts now.

i would tell you to build it.  If you think the lower was easy, the upper should be a piece of cake.  Building it and getting an intimate understanding of how everything goes and works together can only benefit you in the long run.  my 2 cents...

i would tell you to build it.  If you think the lower was easy, the upper should be a piece of cake.  Building it and getting an intimate understanding of how everything goes and works together can only benefit you in the long run.  my 2 cents...

Will do the upper build.  Thx

Does building an upper require a vice and upper vice block?

I can see why its needed to properly torque the barrel down but other than that it looks like anyone could put it together with steady hands.

I want to build but I don't have anything to bolt a cheapo vice onto

Nice! I'm in the same stage.  Almost all parts are in, except for the upper I ordered at Northwest Precision...  It's on its 6th week already and counting.  Hope to get it soon.  Itching to finish the build already lol.

in a nutshell, yes.

but if you already know what you want in an AR it's probably best to build it yourself (it's extremely easy).  it'll cost much more in the end if you buy a complete rifle and start replacing parts...  unless you're only changing small inexpensive pieces (grip, forend, etc)

my first AR was off the shelf M&P15 Sport now with mods.  but decided to try a new budget built.  good experience for sure, not to mention it was pretty fun and easy.  original budget was to do it around $600.  that didn't happen because ended up going with the ace skeleton stock and extended rail.  special thanks to remixer for the spikes lower and bugsy732 for all the tips, and lasty to my buddy who took care of the pinning and welding of the brake.  

hg1EmHL.jpg

6BI1CXf.jpg

ZxkAqZH.jpg

oLFsdl8.jpg

B64sT9X.jpg

Does building an upper require a vice and upper vice block?

I can see why its needed to properly torque the barrel down but other than that it looks like anyone could put it together with steady hands.

I want to build but I don't have anything to bolt a cheapo vice onto

I used this block and it worked great with the vise.  one thing i wish i had was a set of starter pin holder.  i was able to manage but wish i had it lol.

YgixqGr.jpg