SuperGuy185

Can I travel to the range with loaded magazines in a separate locked container than my firearm?

IF YOU ARE TRAVELING WHOLLY WITHIN NJ:

You can travel with loaded magazines even in the same case as your firearm as long as you are in a vehicle with a trunk and the firearm and ammunition are locked in the trunk.

As long as the loaded magazine is not inserted in the otherwise empty firearm, you are good to go during Intrastate travel within NJ.

For vehicles without trunks, and for Interstate travel, the answer will be different.

Ultra conservative attorneys may tell you differently, but the law is the law.

I am not a lawyer, but I have dated a few Holiday Inn managers. :ok:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

If you can access the cargo space from the passenger compartment, you should keep your loaded mags in a separate container from the firearm. Both should be out of reach of the occupants.

Both should not be visible from outside the vehicle. Blankets are your friend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

IF YOU ARE TRAVELING WHOLLY WITHIN NJ:

You can travel with loaded magazines even in the same case as your firearm as long as you are in a vehicle with a trunk and the firearm and ammunition are locked in the trunk.

As long as the loaded magazine is not inserted in the otherwise empty firearm, you are good to go during Intrastate travel within NJ.

For vehicles without trunks, and for Interstate travel, the answer will be different.

Ultra conservative attorneys may tell you differently, but the law is the law.

I am not a lawyer, but I have dated a few Holiday Inn managers. :ok:

To quote Evan Nappen: "The exemptions in 2C:39-6g require that your gun be unloaded. The ammunition can be right next to your gun, even in the same box case. But don’t have it loaded in any magazines because if the magazine is loaded, they will claim the gun is loaded."

Like I said about ultra conservative attorneys, Nappen falls into that category.

When pressed, he will confirm it is not illegal, just not advised because a cop or a prosecutor may claim that a loaded magazine is a loaded firearm.

To quote our local gestapo in https://njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml

6. How do you transport firearms?

Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.  If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and or ammunition shall be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or center console and kept farthest from the driver.

As a precaution, ammunition shall be transported in a separate container and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.  Ammunition magazines may remain loaded during transportation and shall be carried separate from the firearm.

• Like 1

Throw the dice...  If you have an FID card you are also allowed to drive around with an unloaded long gun that is secured and transported properly as long as you don't take it where it isn't allowed, such as a school parking lot, etc. . Additionally, that would also not be advised, as some peace officers and some DAs make up their own laws, and are supported by said judges that do the same and are conditioned and put in place by those with an agenda.  However, if you commit a violent crime, you probably won't even be charged with a firearm's offense.  Go figure.  The moral is to bring a revolver with no magazines.  

most instructors will tell you that this is a no-go. i feel it's a super grey area. most police in nj are anti-gun. not all, but most. you've also gotta remember that it is virtually impossible for the officer on the street to know all the laws/statutes. that'd be like expecting your mechanic to know every fix for every code on your car all the time.

i feel it's a grey area, 'cause if you read the statutes, they all tell us what we can't do, not what we can do. there's nothing saying that the mag has to be unloaded. but again...grey area. 

i feel that especially these days, they'll err on the side of caution if they see loaded mags and you're gonna take the ride.  me personally, i will load my mags, and put them in a sleeve in the case designed for them, then close/lock the case. the key here is to have everything outta sight. if i'm in my truck, my stuff's all at the tail end of the truck(dam thing's so long that i feel the front and back are in different zip codes, lol) and covered up. i keep an old quilt in the truck specifically for this purpose. if i'm in my car, pretty much the same deal. nothing relating to firearms, not even an ammo box is left visible when i'm driving. i don't drive dead nuts on speed limits, but i also don't drive like 20 year old cap anymore either. grey man driving. 

anyway.......you can ask 100 people this question, and get 99 different answers. best is for you to assess your risk factors, and if you feel it's worth the possible risk to save a few minutes at the range to transport em loaded. 

also....for the sake of my paranoid side.........bear in mind I AM NOT A LAWYER. these are just my takes on this topic. 

19 hours ago, Vitalian2184 said:

I have an SUV with a hatch does that make a difference?

@Vitalian2184 Not really, so long as you place your range bag (do you have one of those that holds a handful of pistols in "pistol rugs"?) with UNLOADED hand guns--and loaded mags in a separate compartment--as far away from the driver as possible.  Then use a blanket as has been mentioned by the other learned folks here.

After a while you'll get the gist of whom to ask and listen to.  I'm one of THOSE, lol.  I have a half-century of firearms experience.  My first hand gun purchase was a "Straw Purchase" from my father.  He bought the gun new at the FFL and I bought it from him a minute later.  In 1977 when I was 18 and 18 year olds could buy hand guns from anyone who wasn't a FFL, and do so right across a kitchen table!  Then the FFL stapled the two forms together and mailed them to NJSP (proving a "straw purchase") in the same envelope, lol!

I've been a witness to too many unconstitutional laws and rules being forced upon the NJ gun owner.  It's why I helped form the Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners years ago.  As a founding Trustee and Vice President, I'm quite active.  Writing, shooting, mentoring, and running fundraisers like sporting clays, Hog Hunts and Pheasant Hunts.  Teaching kids and women to shoot safely.  And a multitude of other things.  Check us out here:  https://www.cnjfo.com  and on Facebook at:  https://www.facebook.com/cnjfo 

Photo from CNJFO Sporting Clays Tournament at Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays on August 29th.  @Ms. 12 Gauge is a CNJFO "Lifer".  She won the award for "High Lady".  My medallion is for being a part of the highest scoring foursome.  Let her chime in and say why she supports us!

May be an image of Rhi Teng and David Rosenthal and people standing

41 minutes ago, Vitalian2184 said:

I was looking to join a couple of NJ 2A orgs and yours seems great.  I know the owner of ROC training is a life time member and I have been receiving training from his organization.  I’m planning to join Union Hill Gun Club after I get my FID.  Any tips on securing one?

Rocco is great and yes he's a life member of CNJFO! 

YES, do yourself a favor and use references that have solid emails and aren't always telling their friends & family that "they have to search in their spam folders"!  More delays this way and easily avoided by using someone with a good working email!

Rocco volunteered at our Youth Day at the Range last Sunday!  He was our CRSO for the event.  20 kids mentored by our instructors, myself included :)  Quite a nice day!  Here's a couple pix:

May be an image of 1 person

May be an image of 2 people and people standing

No photo description available.

May be an image of one or more people

15 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

YES, do yourself a favor and use references that have solid emails and aren't always telling their friends & family that "they have to search in their spam folders"!  More delays this way and easily avoided by using someone with a good working email!

Yes!  Also make sure to let them know once you sign the online form.  I've had references get their email within an hour and respond just as quickly.  If they know when it's coming, it will not get buried in their inbox.

• Agree 1