SuperGuy185

Best Ranges to rent a bunch of Handguns

Hi all,

I was wondering what the best ranges are to try/rent different handguns to get a feel for what I would like.  Some ranges I see require an FID to rent (mine is pending).  Others do not.  I would prefer to stay in Monmouth and Ocean counties but if the range is that good I am willing to travel.

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

Two in ocean county that rent with only a driver license are, Weshoot and Shore Shot pistols range. Both require 2 people to to rent a hand gun, you can’t walk in alone to rent. 

I guess the reasoning is two people are less likely to go on a shooting spree at the same time?

16 minutes ago, Bomber said:

I guess the reasoning is two people are less likely to go on a shooting spree at the same time?

It's more to do with suicide,  less of a chance with someone there with you as opposed to being alone. Had a few suicides in Bergen county and they started this years ago.  

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Bomber said:

That, and less likely to turn the gun on yourself.

17 minutes ago, Vitalian2184 said:

Damn I was hoping to fly solo I generally start my work day later than most.

I could be wrong but I do not think you can rent without a second person with you at any range. Without an FID card.  

prepare yourself for the cost also, lane rental $20, gun rental $10-$25 and you have to buy their ammo if you rent $30-$40

9 minutes ago, Vitalian2184 said:

I have eyes and ears already but my challenge is that I have very limited time on the weekends and my mornings are mostly free.  It sucks that I can’t go solo but I will ferry to figure something out.

Bring a friend that's on the fence and show them how much fun and how safe it is.

maybe you can convert them. We need all we can get.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vitalian2184 said:

I have eyes and ears already but my challenge is that I have very limited time on the weekends and my mornings are mostly free.  It sucks that I can’t go solo but I will ferry to figure something out.

Bring the significant other! Once you join a range and have your FID card you can go solo, by then you will have your own handgun, and can rent solo.  

check out  https://gunforhire.com/why-rent-guns/

Its a too far for me but if they were closer I'd definitely would want a membership there. I was there once for other business and its a first class operation. Call them and see if they are still doing rentals, I know over in PA Ready Aim Fire an indoor range that was doing rentals put a stop on the rentals due to covid. Don't know if they resumed rentals or not but GFH is the blue chip stock of gun ranges.

And they are very busy, don’t go often mostly to shop. They were making you sign a list and wait outside until called. Weshoot can get busy but I have never waited for a lane to open.  Pretty sure anywhere you go will have an M&P 2.0. 

On 9/28/2021 at 5:39 PM, Vitalian2184 said:

Hi all,

I was wondering what the best ranges are to try/rent different handguns to get a feel for what I would like.  Some ranges I see require an FID to rent (mine is pending).  Others do not.  I would prefer to stay in Monmouth and Ocean counties but if the range is that good I am willing to travel.

Thanks!

I'm near Asbury Park.  Scheduling might be tough, but if you paid for the range time and the ammo I could bring my handguns and you could try out a variety. 

I don't have an M&P 2.0.

If interested PM and we'll work out details.

• Like 1

Last time I was in SS was 07 or so. I know they had at least 4 suicides that I can remember. Tiny was still there, Nice guy. He always gave me milk crates of ammo. People would give to the store when they wanted to get rid of firearms. He is gone now. They did have a nice selection, but, the owners, billy & kyle, Not very client oriented.