1LtCAP

i'm thinking this guy was kinda lucky

He was very lucky.  Not only due to the aileron input (which is almost an instinctive mistake until it's been trained out of you), but it didn't sound like he pulled back the power either time.     I assume he at least got the rudder input correct, since he didn't auger in.

I doubt his instructor encouraged him to practice power-on stalls on his very first solo flight outside of the traffic pattern.   And when the first one went south, it wasn't a good idea to try again and screw it up even more.   I wonder if he'd have done the same if he wasn't videoing himself and planning to put it online?

I took Rich Stowell's spin training class a few years after I got my ticket...I'm glad I did, but that first spin is a real eye-opener

i've never been in a spin. i was taught how to do them, and only had to verbalize how to recover.

he was doing power-on stalls, so i think that's why no power reduction. i watched the thing twice. watching again now.

i feel he was slightly too fast on throttle application on takeoff roll.

even on that first stall, it looked like he applied full left aileron. big mistake. second one he went almost full right aileron. i find that kinda curious, 'cause when my instructors trained me on stalls, if a wing was gonna drop, it was almost always the same wing. this was 2 stalls, different wing dropped each time. and wrong inputs.

you're right, he must've remembered and gotten onto the rudder because he didn't turn himself into a lawndart. no, he probable wouldn't have done those stalls if he hadn't planned on uploading a video.

one thing i've ALWAYS done, is if i had anything outta the ordinary...like the electrical system failure and subsequent landing with no flaps, or the partial engine failure....anything......i make it a point to call my cfi friend and talk it over with him. i tell him what happened, what i did, and my reasoning as to why i did what i did. and he gives me feedback. not cfi to student feedback. father to son, or brother to brother feedback.

i kinda hope this guy went to his cfi and got some further stall training, 'cause he was within a minute of being dead.....and had he stalled on takeoff, neither of those recoveries would've saved him.