1LtCAP

guys with corrected vision

so something i know i've been overlooking...and strongly suspect that many of you are too.

what or how do you prep to keep seeing? i personally wear contacts, and have 1 pair of eyeglasses that i wear to see before/after i put in/take out my contacts. so what do you guys keep to be ready just in case? what's a good robust frame for eyeglasses?

I started wearing glasses in elementary school, hard contacts in high school, then soft lenses in the 70's.

When I had cataract surgery in 2013, it was the very best thing I did for my vision in my entire life.

I recommend you get your eyes surgically corrected before the apocalypse. No need for glasses except close-up, and only magnifiers then.

You certainly don't want to be like Burgess Meredith in that first season episode of the Twilight Zone entitled 'All The Time In The World'.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, njJoniGuy said:

I started wearing glasses in elementary school, hard contacts in high school, then soft lenses in the 70's.

When I had cataract surgery in 2013, it was the very best thing I did for my vision in my entire life.

I recommend you get your eyes surgically corrected before the apocalypse. No need for glasses except close-up, and only magnifiers then.

You certainly don't want to be like Burgess Meredith in that first season episode of the Twilight Zone entitled 'All The Time In The World'.

yaknow? for some reason that is the main episode of twilight zone that sticks in my head. the other one is the ugly doctors/nurses episode

i hadn't thought of eye surgery...but i'm also kinda afraid of it......

9 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

Did you know that the "ugly" girl in that pig-face episode was played beautifully (literally) by Donna Douglas, Ellie May from the Beverly Hillbillies?

i didn't even realize that, but probably should have

Online glasses places. If your prescription is minor, you can get spare pairs for like $40. If it's more complex it may go as high as $130. Usually previous prescriptions are close enough for an emergency, but to go wit my main set I usually have a few extra pairs stashed around, plus my shooting glasses. 

Corrective laser surgery usually just winds up needing prescriptions again, it's not a forever fix. 

10 hours ago, beachwhistle said:

Had laser eye surgery in 2000 - best 4 grand I ever spent.

I still have 20/20  vision 21 years later.

Is that no change, or did they laser you to better than 20/20 so it would last longer? The reshaping of the cornea is permanent, but it doesn't stop your natural progression of myopia or the onset of presbyopia. Some people have better experiences because they wouldn't have gotten too bad anyway. Timing of when you get it also helps mitigate issues. The people who make money selling you lasik say that about 35% of patients need another surgery. I would argue that that number undershoots reality as a significant number of people just go back to wearing glasses rather than pay for more surgery. 

Myself, I've gotten so used to wearing glasses and having a barrier between my eyes and the world, I'd probably be blind in a year if I got lasik. 

On 10/3/2021 at 10:57 PM, njJoniGuy said:

Appreciate you mentioning your cataract surgery and positive outcome. I am scheduled for cataract surgery in three weeks. While I am not thrilled at the thought of of someone making an incision into my eyeballs (lol), I am excited at the thought of being far sighted for the first time in my adult life. I anticipate net net it will improve my enjoyment of shooting.

On 10/3/2021 at 10:57 PM, njJoniGuy said:

Appreciate you mentioning your cataract surgery and positive outcome. I am scheduled for cataract surgery in three weeks. While I am not thrilled at the thought of of someone making an incision into my eyeballs (lol), I am excited at the thought of being far sighted for the first time in my adult life. I anticipate net net it will improve my enjoyment of shooting.

On 10/3/2021 at 10:41 PM, 1LtCAP said:

so something i know i've been overlooking...and strongly suspect that many of you are too.

what or how do you prep to keep seeing? i personally wear contacts, and have 1 pair of eyeglasses that i wear to see before/after i put in/take out my contacts. so what do you guys keep to be ready just in case? what's a good robust frame for eyeglasses?

I had a pair of "tactical" glasses made for me when I served in the military.  They were tactical in every sense of the word.  I could run, crawl, spar, and shoot and they stayed on my face.  They even fit underneath my protective mask.

I would look for a thick plastic frame.  Stay away from metal,  most metals corrode after a while.  Plastic is extremely durable.  I have had my current glasses for about 20 years.

12 hours ago, raz-0 said:

Is that no change, or did they laser you to better than 20/20 so it would last longer? The reshaping of the cornea is permanent, but it doesn't stop your natural progression of myopia or the onset of presbyopia. Some people have better experiences because they wouldn't have gotten too bad anyway. Timing of when you get it also helps mitigate issues. The people who make money selling you lasik say that about 35% of patients need another surgery. I would argue that that number undershoots reality as a significant number of people just go back to wearing glasses rather than pay for more surgery. 

Myself, I've gotten so used to wearing glasses and having a barrier between my eyes and the world, I'd probably be blind in a year if I got lasik. 

Was 20/15 for a few years and settled at 20/20.

My nearsightness was in the perfect range for good results with lasik and at 42 my prescription hadn’t changed in many years. My ophthalmologist says I’m one of the few that had such good results ove a long period.

On 10/3/2021 at 10:59 PM, 1LtCAP said:

yaknow? for some reason that is the main episode of twilight zone that sticks in my head. the other one is the ugly doctors/nurses episode

i hadn't thought of eye surgery...but i'm also kinda afraid of it......

The Obsolete man, another great episode with superb performance by Burgess Meredith.

On 10/5/2021 at 7:10 PM, dilbert1967 said:

I would look for a thick plastic frame.  Stay away from metal,  most metals corrode after a while.  Plastic is extremely durable.  I have had my current glasses for about 20 years.

I've had titanium (or possibly flexon) frames made by Modo for at least 10 years.  Finish is wearing off, but the metal is pristine with zero corrosion anywhere, including screws, around the lenses, or pads.  I can bend these frames 45° and they bounce back like nothing happened.  Super thin and light, too.  Have held up to plenty of abuse.

I plan to get something similar quite soon, and I've been looking online and trying to decide what I want.  A lot of the cheap glasses packages don't come with very good lenses (obviously), but may be good as spares. There are better materials than plastic or polycarbonate which offer better clarity, so I expect to go that route when I get new glasses.  I've also been looking at a set of (probably Wiley-X) ANSI rated prescription shooting glasses.

As for EOTWAWKI, either I'm wearing the glasses I wear during virtually all waking hours, or I have to resort to the previous prescriptions I still have, and suffer with acceptable to marginal vision.  I keep a set of those in the car/go bag.  Beyond that, guess I'm pretty screwed unless I can loot something that works.

Just found out I am now far sited as well as near sited. I damaged my glasses 5 weeks ago and have been useinga pair of 20 year old glasses till my new ones are in. I got progressive lenses coming (1st time). My question has anyone had prescription turned into shooting glasses. my DR. dosen't do that. If so who made them cost etc, or just get a pair of shooting glasses that go over your script.  Just starting to look into this. ie I pick up the new ones on Monday.

21 minutes ago, H2oVento said:

Just found out I am now far sited as well as near sited. I damaged my glasses 5 weeks ago and have been useinga pair of 20 year old glasses till my new ones are in. I got progressive lenses coming (1st time). My question has anyone had prescription turned into shooting glasses. my DR. dosen't do that. If so who made them cost etc, or just get a pair of shooting glasses that go over your script.  Just starting to look into this. ie I pick up the new ones on Monday.

Place i found does ansi rated high end prescription lenses with coatings in wiley-x frames for around $300 if memory serves me. I will have to look where i found em when i get home.

I did a search for ansi prescription shooting glasses when i looked, may get you started.

Just picked up my new progressive glasses yesterday. all I can say is strange but now I can see again. Whitout haveing to lay out another 300-400 for script glasses. I found these on Amazon.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K4FCNX1/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Its like progressive readers with the magnified portion on top. I will report once I try em out. I fig for $30.00 its worth a shot. Or trying to find something that goes over my glasses.