SuperGuy185

About to get my first hand gun what should I expect?

3 hours ago, Vitalian2184 said:

I was wondering what actually happens when you buy a handgun

You pick out the firearm, you complete the ATF 4473 form, the dealer processes your P2P and does a NICS background check (could take minutes to > 24 hours), you pay the dealer, you take the firearm home (or come back to pick it up).

7 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

NICS background check (could take minutes to > 24 hours), you take the firearm home (or come back to pick it up).

Yeah, because of the uncertainty of the NICS turnaround timing I usually plan to go to the gun shop to complete paperwork and pay on one day, and pick up the following day.

I consider it a pleasant surprise or bonus if I get a call from the gun shop on the same day telling me I can pick up at any time.

11 hours ago, Vitalian2184 said:

Ok sounds good.  So I'm glad this seems to be relatively simple process now that I have everything.  I'm hoping I can do cash and carry so to speak!

Lol nothing about the draconian, rights infringing nj process is “relatively simple”…..other than a handful of other dictator like states …….in the rest of the country it truly is a simple process…no nonsensical cards or permits to purchase to procure with months of prep work….stop in a gun shop see something that catches your eye…. Fill out the 4473 and in less time than it takes to fill out the form get the nics proceed… pay and leave with your purchase less than 10 mins from “I’ll take it” to walking out the door.

On 10/4/2021 at 9:15 AM, YankeeSC said:

You pick out the firearm, you complete the ATF 4473 form, the dealer processes your P2P and does a NICS background check (could take minutes to > 24 hours), you pay the dealer, you take the firearm home (or come back to pick it up).

I'm pretty sure I've always had to pay before the dealer ran the NICS. I know the last several purchases when NICS has taken over an hour to several days have been that way. Can't recall exactly back when NICS was under a 15min turnaround. 

3 hours ago, Vitalian2184 said:

The context of my statement was meant to be after all the hoops were already jumped through.  Thanks anyways I guess.

Even after all the hoops you’ve already been through the bs doesn’t end….but you are on the home stretch to firearm ownership in nj lol

First, you apply for more permits.  Then you responsibly seek firearm training on your own without government mandating it.