Old Glock guy

AK zero distance

Curious at what distance people zero their AK's.  Unlike the AR, where a 50/200 zero is very popular, the 7.62 projectile drops like a rock past 200 yards. 

I have mine currently zeroed at 50 yards, but I'm think of switching to a 25 yard zero.  That zero distance puts the POI 2-4" high at 50-150 yards, then is back to zero at 200.  Practical considerations include not being able to use steel core ammo at indoor range like GFH, and not being able to shoot closer than 50 yards at Cherry Ridge.  I believe the answer to that would be to just adjust POI to be 2" high at 50 yards. 

Other than playing around at the range, there's probably not much chance of having to shoot at greater than 200 yards in real life.

Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

Doesn't the high power range go out to 300 yards at Cherry Ridge? 

It does.  200 yd/300 yd range hours alternate as follows, but always check the range schedule first because sometimes scheduled competitions will close the range to non-competitors.

200/300 YARD RANGE 

The shooting schedule for the 2 firing lines is as follows. 

8:30 am to 1:00 pm at the 200 yard line except on Wednesdays when the 200 yard line shoots 1:00 pm to closing 

1:00 pm to closing at the 300 yard line except on Wednesdays when the 300 yard line shoots 8:30 am to 1:00 pm. 

Shooting may continue on the 200 yard line after 1:00pm as long as no other member wants to use the 300 yard line. 

Range is for shooting paper targets only. 

Single paper targets with one aim point. 

Paper targets with multiple aim points that are less than 12" x 12" 

All targets must be CENTERED on the frames. 

Standard distances are 200 yards and 300 yards.

10 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

Curious at what distance people zero their AK's.  Unlike the AR, where a 50/200 zero is very popular, the 7.62 projectile drops like a rock past 200 yards. 

I have mine currently zeroed at 50 yards, but I'm think of switching to a 25 yard zero.  That zero distance puts the POI 2-4" high at 50-150 yards, then is back to zero at 200.  Practical considerations include not being able to use steel core ammo at indoor range like GFH, and not being able to shoot closer than 50 yards at Cherry Ridge.  I believe the answer to that would be to just adjust POI to be 2" high at 50 yards. 

Other than playing around at the range, there's probably not much chance of having to shoot at greater than 200 yards in real life.

Any thoughts?

Check Gun For Hire's website. I believe one of their new ranges is rated for steel core ammo. 

Anyone try this method?

I hear about a lot of people trying to zero AKs like you would an AR, but the AK sights and ballistic trajectory are not the same.  I think this, coupled with the AK having a longer distance between the shooters eye and rear sight, is what leads people to having accuracy problems.