GDITurbo77

I know it's not a gun but...

So my wife got me a new knife over the weekend because I was complaining to her that my old one is shot. She ended up getting me a Smith & Wesson Tanto Folding Knife. It's very nice and very sharp, but I'm worried that it also might be very illegal to carry here in NJ due to the size. I've always carried smaller multi-tool knives in the past. Reading up on the current NJ Knife laws, it's difficult to understand how the knife might be classified. It's obvious that it is not a gravity knife, switchblade, dagger, dirk, stiletto or ballistic knife, but I also see the words "other dangerous knife" as well. I mean, any knife can be a dangerous knife depending on how you use it. I am only using it as a utility/survival knife, but I'm worried if that reason does not meet the "explainable lawful purpose" definition. The blade measures about 3.5" and the overall length is about 8". It also has a built-in seat belt cutter and a window punch. Anyone have any experience with this?

(If this post is inappropriate here, please delete and I apologize) 

20211006_092427.jpg

20211006_092407.jpg

There is no NJ statute that defines a knife by size. If you carry a knife every day you just need an explainable lawful purpose. There is no limit to what lawful purpose you use, so long is it is not self defense.

My knife is used to open boxes frequently and there is tape residue on it which could be proof if it is ever challenged.

Your knife has a seat belt cutting blade at the back of the handle - perfectly lawful in case of emergency.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

There is no NJ statute that defines a knife by size. If you carry a knife every day you just need an explainable lawful purpose. There is no limit to what lawful purpose you use, so long is it is not self defense.

My knife is used to open boxes frequently and there is tape residue on it which could be proof if it is ever challenged.

Your knife has a seat belt cutting blade at the back of the handle - perfectly lawful in case of emergency.

Nailed it.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1