Finsupp23

New and Need Some Help

Hello NJ gun owners. I’m hoping someone can help me with a situation I don’t understand. 

I have a mental health record. 
I got the doctors note saying I no long suffer from this mental health disability. 
My township gave me my firearms ID card

BUT…..they told me if I do not expunge my record when I go to purchase a firearm I will be denied and they will revoke my license. Is this true?? 

They did you a real favor by telling you that.  That record stays on your record forever  and will come up every time you get your record checked... unless you get it expunged.  Get it expunged now before it bites you in the ass again.  Once you have a denial it gets even harder to explain away.

1 hour ago, Tunaman said:

They did you a real favor by telling you that.  That record stays on your record forever  and will come up every time you get your record checked... unless you get it expunged.  Get it expunged now before it bites you in the ass again.  Once you have a denial it gets even harder to explain away.

So then what is the point of getting the medical note to get the firearms ID?

Again.  He is doing you a favor by not declining your FID. He obviosly wanted to see if you could qualify by providing the note.  He could have said no to that,  but he is offering you the way out.  Take his advise(and mine) and get it expunged before using that card. After you get it expunged make sure to formally  thank the guy that handled your application.  You will probably need his services again and the hard part will be done. This could become very expensive if you dont do it and want to continue.  I got mine expunged for 750 bucks and it was well worth it. You CAN do this for free but the lawyer will make it happen faster.  I didnt have to do a thing.  I'll give you the name of the lawyer that handled it for me if you like.

Certain things can be removed from your record and still make it legal for you to own firearms if you expunge the record.  He is giving you the option to fix it.  Most people don't get that chance and get refused from the git go.

Also...mine was criminal and yours is not so I can guarantee that your case will be easier.

20 hours ago, Tunaman said:

I sent you a PM.  I dont actually know if a medical expungment is harder that criminal one.  Good luck and let us know what he says.

Oof. Medical expungement is far more involved than criminal. I was quoted $5,000. And it involves testifying in court, seeing psychologist and having them testify in court. So I won’t be purchasing any firearms in my lifetime lol was worth a shot. Thanks for the info 

2 hours ago, Finsupp23 said:

Oof. Medical expungement is far more involved than criminal. I was quoted $5,000. And it involves testifying in court, seeing psychologist and having them testify in court. So I won’t be purchasing any firearms in my lifetime lol was worth a shot. Thanks for the info 

Sorry Man.  I had no idea it was such a hassle.

I replied to this topic before I registered but for some reason it did not post. Without typing the same long story I will say that I recently got my medical records expunged after finding out that new laws prohibited me from purchasing a firearm. Unfortunately the judge that expunged my records did not sign the correct order so It is still showing up in NICS.  My lawyer only knows of one other case where the judge granted the expungement but did not restore my rights to purchase a firearm. In most cases the judge will sign the correct order and your rights will be restored. The AOC and the state police were shocked that the judge did this. It is very rare but it can happen. I am still working with the lawyer to appeal the decision and get the correct order signed. It was a year long process and cost around 6000. It is a fairly easy process it just takes time and money. Good luck in  getting a Judge that knows the law.