1LtCAP

Expanding Full Metal Jacket Ammo

24 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i know i should probably put this somewhere else....but seems 1a is most highly traveled.

anyway...anyone seen this stuff? ever used it? legal here?

https://ammo.com/bullet-type/expanding-full-metal-jacket-efmj?fbclid=IwAR0MvHwzu07lAGYVDRGyL6sEYGHtVs7T5fsvh_hhQHwGbKxiVoAhQg2UF_s

Haven't actually seen it, but from the description on the website it appears that it should not fall under the hollow point restrictions in this state.   But NJ is known for fanciful misinterpretations of the law when it suits them...

1 minute ago, 10X said:

Haven't actually seen it, but from the description on the website it appears that it should not fall under the hollow point restrictions in this state.   But NJ is known for fanciful misinterpretations of the law when it suits them...

Exactly. Like the Aiken judge(?) Who said if a bullet acts like a hp it is one in his not so humble opinion.

@ltcap (and others who may be reading) - word to the wise: in the future, you should post a topic like this in one of the appropriate public-facing forums! The 1A Lounge is for topics that are political or that otherwise don't fit in to the rest of the forum's areas.

The main reason I'm saying this is that I happen to know that we have a LOT of posters - some who are VERY knowledgeable about firearms - who never (or rarely) go into the 1A Lounge... for a whole host of reasons... because they don't like politics, they don't like the general demeanor of the crowd, etc. Some posters don't even put in the 1A password - they just ignore this particular forum entirely. So, you'll actually get MORE eyes on gun-related topics it if you post them elsewhere.

• Agree 1

I rEaD oN tHe InTeRneT...

When I first was told about this stuff, I did look it up online, and there were a fair amout of negative reviews. That said, I'm sure those reviews tend to be as unbiased and factual as the typical 9mm vs .45 debate. I've seen positive reviews of G2 RIP ammo, so its almost like not every review can be trusted.  I think the common stated reason for the poor reviews was underpenetration, though could be wrong since its been 6+ years.  Coulda been because one youtube reviewer put 40 layers of denim in front of a gel block, and everyone parroted the results of that single test for all I know.

I would certainly consider the stuff if it functioned in my guns, and I can't imagine it wouldn't. I typically rely on the polymer filled tip rounds NJ has said are not hollow points in my handguns.

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

@ltcap (and others who may be reading) - word to the wise: in the future, you should post a topic like this in one of the appropriate public-facing forums! The 1A Lounge is for topics that are political or that otherwise don't fit in to the rest of the forum's areas.

The main reason I'm saying this is that I happen to know that we have a LOT of posters - some who are VERY knowledgeable about firearms - who never (or rarely) go into the 1A Lounge... for a whole host of reasons... because they don't like politics, they don't like the general demeanor of the crowd, etc. Some posters don't even put in the 1A password - they just ignore this particular forum entirely. So, you'll actually get MORE eyes on gun-related topics it if you post them elsewhere.

in that instance, would you be able to move it to the proper forum ? please?

EFMJ is legal in NJ, but then again so are hollowpoints for all but one thing mere mortals are allowed to do with it (i.e. have it in your possession other than at an exempt location to travelling directly to/from)

There are much better choices these days. Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty, Speer Gold Dot G2, etc. with a filled hollowpoint are equally not hollowpoints.

• Like 1

I actually have some of the older Federal EFMJ.  Federal discontinued the EFMJ and came out with Guard Dog.  I actually preferred the older EFMJ as it was a full weight bullet vs a lighter weight guard dog.

Honestly, EFMJ had issues with reliably expanding in soft tissue. The jacket was thick enough that without something fairly dense against it, it acted more like a true FMJ than it did an expanding bullet.

Cor-Bon Glaser Pow'RBall and Hornady's Critical Defense/Duty use a plug to force expansion with application of pressure, rather than rely on hydraulic pressure for expansion.

17 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

EFMJ is legal in NJ, but then again so are hollowpoints for all but one thing mere mortals are allowed to do with it (i.e. have it in your possession other than at an exempt location to travelling directly to/from)

There are much better choices these days. Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty, Speer Gold Dot G2, etc. with a filled hollowpoint are equally not hollowpoints.

This.
/thread 

I don't see much sense in getting wrapped around EFMJ in NJ unless you have a carry permit.

If you don't have a carry permit the limited times you can transport or possess a handgun, you can have hollowpoints.

The only scenario I can see for most in NJ is if you have a FID and carry an unloaded PCC in your car.

On 10/7/2021 at 12:49 PM, 1LtCAP said:

i know i should probably put this somewhere else....but seems 1a is most highly traveled.

anyway...anyone seen this stuff? ever used it? legal here?

https://ammo.com/bullet-type/expanding-full-metal-jacket-efmj?fbclid=IwAR0MvHwzu07lAGYVDRGyL6sEYGHtVs7T5fsvh_hhQHwGbKxiVoAhQg2UF_s

It used to come in a box of 50 ct and it wasn't that much more expensive than regular 9mm at the time. Rhe good ole days. 

i have my stuff here at home and at work loaded with critical defense.

knowing how antigun nj is i can easily imagine a prosecutor turning those into hollowpoints. i also had never heard of this kind of ammo before, and it seemed like it'd make a good conversation. and i'd learn a bit too.

3 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i have my stuff here at home and at work loaded with critical defense.

As I understand it, you work with vehicles a lot (repair shop?) so it may be worth looking at Critical Duty for work. Critical Duty is barrier blind whereas Critical Defense is not so Duty will perform better if you need to shoot through a car door or windscreen.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

As I understand it, you work with vehicles a lot (repair shop?) so it may be worth looking at Critical Duty for work. Critical Duty is barrier blind whereas Critical Defense is not so Duty will perform better if you need to shoot through a car door or windscreen.

you are correct....and i did not realize there was that difference either

2 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

you are correct....and i did not realize there was that difference either

Sharing what we know is a large part of why we're here, isn't it? All part of the conversation you alluded to.

I hadn't known the difference either until a couple of weeks ago when I was gifted some Critical Duty by a friend. "This is serious stuff" he said.

On 10/7/2021 at 1:18 PM, siderman said:

Exactly. Like the Aiken judge(?) Who said if a bullet acts like a hp it is one in his not so humble opinion.

Fortunately that is an unpublished opinion so it not binding, but may be illustrative of the judicial mindset.

31 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

knowing how antigun nj is i can easily imagine a prosecutor turning those into hollowpoints.

I'd you're involved in a shooting and the prosecutor is looking at what type of ammo you used that's the least of your worries.

1 minute ago, GRIZ said:

I'd you're involved in a shooting and the prosecutor is looking at what type of ammo you used that's the least of your worries.

If you're involved in a shooting make sure you mag dump. That way the perp is in possession of the hollowpoints, not you.

/sarc

• Agree 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

If you're involved in a shooting make sure you mag dump. That way the perp is in possession of the hollowpoints, not you.

/sarc

is it bad if i chuckled at this?

6 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

yea, you've got a point there.....

• Like 1