Candyman87

Just Moved to NJ - Do I Need My NJ DL to Apply for FPID?

Background: just moved to NJ. First available appointment for NJMVC for transfer of license from out of state is after Thanksgiving.

Can I apply for my NJ FPID with my old driver's license and new address? Or do I need to wait to receive my NJ Driver's License before applying, effectively adding 6 weeks to an already long and onerous process?

Based on the online application, I can use my out of state driver's license, but I don't want to submit in case it delays everything or gets me rejected.

You do not need a drivers license at all to get your FPIC. You need to supply proof of ID and proof of address. An NJ drivers license satisfies both these things in a single document so is used out of convenience by most.

However, proof of ID can be established with a passport which is valid country wide and does not show your address. Your out of State DL is also proof of ID, but not proof of address and will likely confuse whoever is processing your application.

Proof of address can be satisfied with a property tax bill, a valid property rental agreement or a utility bill.

I am not sure of your circumstances, but if you are temporarily renting while you find your permanent home, don't bother starting the process - you will just have to do it all over again when you move.

• Like 1

Thanks Stu - this rental is is actually permanent... at least for the next 2-3 years. Can't see myself buying into New Jersey with the housing market the way it is right now.

I'll continue the process with the old ID. Can absolutely include a rental agreement and/or a utility bill for proof of address.

Appreciate the assistance!

One more thing - keep refreshing the appointments page on the MVC website. Cancellations happen and you may be able to grab an appointment sooner. Also, new appointments are added between 11:30pm and midnight so it may be worth checking again then too.

I needed an appointment to add an M endorsement to my DL and there were none available. As in not any, at all, not even far into the future. By refreshing the appointment page I was able to snag one an hour away from my home within a day. I took the drive because it was better than never getting it done. 3 weeks later I got a reply to the query I submitted to MVC asking how to book an appointment when they weren't offering any and the reply was completely useless.

Good luck

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr.Stu said:

One more thing - keep refreshing the appointments page on the MVC website. Cancellations happen and you may be able to grab an appointment sooner. Also, new appointments are added between 11:30pm and midnight so it may be worth checking again then too.

I'll keep that in mind and will keep looking for earlier appointments! Appreciate the help!

On 10/7/2021 at 5:58 PM, Candyman87 said:

Background: just moved to NJ. First available appointment for NJMVC for transfer of license from out of state is after Thanksgiving.

Can I apply for my NJ FPID with my old driver's license and new address? Or do I need to wait to receive my NJ Driver's License before applying, effectively adding 6 weeks to an already long and onerous process?

Based on the online application, I can use my out of state driver's license, but I don't want to submit in case it delays everything or gets me rejected.

Why...WHY DID YOU MOVE HERE, THIS HORID PLACE!!!!! UGH. :facepalm: Even California (outside LA) would have been better. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, contigo100 said:

Why...WHY DID YOU MOVE HERE, THIS HORID PLACE!!!!! UGH. :facepalm: Even California (outside LA) would have been better. 

The bagels and pizza.

In all seriousness, the better half got her dream job and is required to be within 30 minutes of her job for being on call. Plus, family is here. Plus, the bagels and pizza. But mostly for her to be able to have her dream job.