brucin

East Bangor Sportsman's Association Bowling Pin Shoot

EAST BANGOR SPORTSMANS ASSOCIATION

Bowling with Bullets - Bowling Pin Shoot. October 24th 2021 - Classes for Rimfire and Centerfire Revolvers and Semiauto pistols, Rimfire carbines and PCC. $5 fee per entry. Practice at 9AM shoot will start at 9:30AM.
Memberships for the 2021-2022 membership year will be available during the shoot.

152 Bangor Vein Road, Bangor, PA

Bowling pin shoots are a hoot!   I'd be all over this if I didn't have a previous commitment.

If done in the standard format where the centerfire classes need to knock the pins 3' back off of the table, you want fairly stout loads and heavy bullets will perform better than lighter ones.  Momentum wins over kinetic energy here.  

Pins tipped over but not knocked from the table will chew up a lot of time and ammo, as they tend to spin around with subsequent hits--so try hard for solid hits that knock them clear on the first shot.

Rimfire classes just require the pin to be knocked over.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 10X said:

Bowling pin shoots are a hoot!   I'd be all over this if I didn't have a previous commitment.

If done in the standard format where the centerfire classes need to knock the pins 3' back off of the table, you want fairly stout loads and heavy bullets will perform better than lighter ones.  Momentum wins over kinetic energy here.  

Pins tipped over but not knocked from the table will chew up a lot of time and ammo, as they tend to spin around with subsequent hits--so try hard for solid hits that knock them clear on the first shot.

Know where your ammo hits.

45acp SWC are king!

Also being able to hit the pin when laying down is crucial.

Pin tops for .22's?

4 minutes ago, ronhonda said:

Pin tops for .22's?

@brucin may know.  I've heard of pin tops (only) for the .22 events, but a .22 rifle will reliably knock over full-sized pins, at least if you don't hit them too far down towards the base.   I've shot the event at a couple of clubs using full pins for .22, with a knock down sufficient, no need to clear them off the table.  I'm not sure how the Bangor club is running it.

43 minutes ago, H2oVento said:

I have never heard of this... might have to check it out. How old do you have to be to shoot. my 13yr old loves to shoot with me

Can't say for sure, but I'd hope they'd let an interested 13-year old shoot!   

There are a lot of videos out there; this one shows the 'classic' format, starting from low ready and shooting at 5 pins set back 1 foot from the front of a 4 x 8' table.  The matches are generally at a distance of 21' or 25'.  This video shows a head-to-head format with two shooters, but more commonly shooters are timed individually, with time starting with a shot timer buzzer, and ending at the last shot recorded.  Pins don't count until they are OFF the table, in the centerfire events.  Practice reloading the gun quickly and safely.

Pin match

There are a LOT of fun local variations...more pins, different distances, multiple levels of targets, no-shoot pins to shoot around, etc.

3 minutes ago, H2oVento said:

do you have to be a member... "reloading" your not kidding... I only have 10rd NJ mags

I don't know, I've never been there.  I've just been commenting on pin shooting in general.   Which is a blast.

I'd suspect it is open to the public, however, and there is a 'contact us' link on the club web page.

EBSportsman

12 hours ago, 10X said:

Pin must off the table for rimfire too.

8 hours ago, H2oVento said:

How old do you have to be to shoot. my 13yr old loves to shoot with me

As long as firearm safety is practiced I don't think it will be an issue. I've seen several young girls shoot there.

6 hours ago, H2oVento said:

do you have to be a member... "reloading" your not kidding... I only have 10rd NJ mags

You don't have to be a member and I believe you are limited to 20 rounds or 2 mags. It makes things move along quicker.

Usually it's $5 per try and 5 tries for $20

7 hours ago, 10X said:

5 pins set back 1 foot from the front of a 4 x 8' table.

The table is only about 2' x 5' and the distance is 10 yards.

For PCC and rimfire carbine there are also 5 plastic pins hung at 25 yards that only have to be hit in addition to the 5 at 10 yards that must be off the table. That's how it was done last year.

If any one comes to the shoot come and say hello. I have long rather gray hair.