SuperGuy185

Gotta clean my new handgun but I’m kind of nervous!

Hey all,

ad you may have seen in other threads I recently purchased a new M&P 2.0 9mm full size and I was told to field strip and clean before first use (which I will do).  I’ve just never done anything like this before and I’m a little nervous to do so.  Anyone have any tips on cleaning their handguns?

Thanks!

On 10/9/2021 at 2:18 PM, Vitalian2184 said:

Hey all,

ad you may have seen in other threads I recently purchased a new M&P 2.0 9mm full size and I was told to field strip and clean before first use (which I will do).  I’ve just never done anything like this before and I’m a little nervous to do so.  Anyone have any tips on cleaning their handguns?

The gun is new and unfired so all thats needed is remove the slide and run some cleaning patches through the barrel followed by some oiled patches and lightly lube the slide areas/barrel contact points.

You can wipe down the slide and barrel with oil if not going to the range soon. 

As mentioned watch some youtube vids first, M&P's are very easy to break down for cleaning. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silverado427 said:

Youtube is your friend.

Youtube taught me how to clean all my guns, some very in-depth videos and some basic videos.

I knew how to field strip and clean my first hand gun even before I picked it up.

Dont sweat it, it will become easy, and possibly enjoyable. 

• Like 1

Being nervous about your first cleaning is absolutely normal, and maybe not a bad thing. I must have watched different YouTube videos a zillion times (ok, maybe a million) before my first time. Just go slow with a basic field strip and you'll be fine. If you get stuck don't panic, just let us know. Helped my son with his S&W 2.0 and it was a piece of cake, relax you'll do fine.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 1LtCAP said:

first and formost......no ammo, no mags in the same room as the gun. none.

then as someone else mentioned, check youtube. you'd be surprised whatcha can find there

i'll also add.....don't be nervous. people make mistakes when they're scared or just nervous. just respect the weapon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vitalian2184 said:

Yes I plan on locking all ammo/loaded magazine in a separate closet while cleaning.  I'm not sure if that is overkill or not but thats what I plan on doing.

No.

To some people (not me) overkill is practicing field striping blindfolded while in a closet.

Don't be nervous! Cleaning your firearm for the first time is great! It'll help you learn the relationship between all of the parts and you'll have a better understanding of what they all do. It should have come with a user manual which would have a schematic for the official name of all of the pieces. Have that accessible while you're watching a couple YouTube videos. Prepare a clutter free work area, and have a tray or dish handy that you can put the pieces on like the guide rod and spring that might want to roll away otherwise. If you're nervous about just handling your firearm, don't be. Without the ammo in the same room, it's just a hunk of metal and maybe polymer. If you're nervous about doing it wrong, just don't try to force anything that doesn't want to be pulled apart or put together. Other than that, it's pretty easy. If you're exceptionally concerned about doing it yourself, there are gun cleaning classes offered at most ranges, but you can learn just as much if not more from the internet. If you just want the moral support, ask around at the range you might find a friend that's willing to show you how.  I once thought it was super complicated and scary but it gives you much more hands on knowledge of your tools. 

• Like 1

As someone mentioned get a towel to clean your firearm on.  The best thing to wipe the firearm with is an old tshirt. Absorbent and no lint.  As you grow more confident, you can make patches from an old tshirt.

I haven't bought patches in years.

• Thanks 1

I must be missing something here. Nobody mentions reading the manual? If I recall, a manual that came with all my guns, complete instructions on break down, cleaning and lube points.... :blink:

7 hours ago, bhunted said:

I must be missing something here. Nobody mentions reading the manual? If I recall, a manual that came with all my guns, complete instructions on break down, cleaning and lube points.... :blink:

I mentioned it. 

14 minutes ago, Vitalian2184 said:

Well I just cleaned my firearm (or at least I think I did) took about 45 minutes to do but I think I covered everything.  Thanks everyone here for your support.

It gets quicker as you get more confident. Until you get an ultrasonic cleaner!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Vitalian2184 said:

Well I just cleaned my firearm (or at least I think I did) took about 45 minutes to do but I think I covered everything.  Thanks everyone here for your support.

Did you function check it after re-assembling?  Unloaded, dry fire, hold the trigger in, cycle the slide manually, let the trigger reset (you should hear a click) then pull it again.  Make sure everything clicks and resets ok.

On 10/9/2021 at 3:31 PM, High Exposure said:

That is a good tip! :rofl:

Where did you get it? A lot of shops will walk you through first time disassembly if you are unsure.

And, as stated above, YouTube can be helpful as well.

I got it at Legend Firearms in Monroe.  I didn’t want to take up their time as they were SUPER busy (seems like no one is having trouble getting permits in this area).  But I think I figured it out I was able to dry fire the gun several times with no problems.