124gr9mm

Powder and primers returning to shelves?

I was in the East Stroudsberg area on Saturday for a family thing, so I stopped into a small gun show (interesting) and then dropped into Dinkelbergers Sports to check things out.

They had a very good selection of guns and the staff was very friendly/talkative.

I was chatting with one young guy behind the counter and I asked about his stock of powder and primers.  He said they would small quantities in from time to time which would sellout relatively quickly.  He said there was a delivery the previous day, so they'd probably be good for a week or so.  we walked down to the powder area and there was a good supply of 1 lb. bottles of Hodgdon and IMR powders.  I don't "need" any powder right now and prices weren't fantastic, but I was there and i didn't have to worry about shipping or Hazmat, so i picked up a pound of H335 for $37.

The kid said they had CCI No 41 sm rifle primers, so I picked up a box of 1000 for $70 with he same rationale that while I dont' "need" them right now, it's better to grab while they're in front of me and i don't have to pay shipping or Hazmat.

Next time I'm in the area I'll definitely stop back in and check them out again.  They seemed to have a decent selection of used rifles, so something may come home with me.

• Informative 1

The days of cheap primers (or anything) probably won't be back any time soon.  

With supply line issues, transportation bottlenecks and labor shortages forecast until at least next year $70 per 1k fir primers could be the "new normal" for a while.  And that's cheap compared to $100 with hazmat and shipping if you order online.  I hope I'm wrong and things turn around sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 1:54 PM, JackDaWack said:

If stuff is on the shelf more than a few days it's because of high pricing. 

Those bottles are typically 27 bucks and those primers are 35... 

Depends on how you define "typically".

Pre-pandemic, absolutely.  But as others have mentioned, it will be a long time before those prices return, if they ever do.

Just as the panic buying is starting to die down, we now see supply chain issues that will impact availability and pricing.

Limited availability of cheap Russian ammo and components is also a factor that will keep prices high for an extended time...

37 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Depends on how you define "typically".

Pre-pandemic, absolutely.  But as others have mentioned, it will be a long time before those prices return, if they ever do.

Just as the panic buying is starting to die down, we now see supply chain issues that will impact availability and pricing.

Limited availability of cheap Russian ammo and components is also a factor that will keep prices high for an extended time...

Typically,  as in when people aren't panic buying and driving prices up. 

This has been a supply chain issue from the very beginning. There will be no improvements anytime soon. 

I also don't see how cheap Russian ammo plays into this, or components. Russian components  made up an extremely small presence in American markets. Even more common complete cartridges make up something like less than 5% after considering all other imports and domestic production. Cheap Russian ammo going byebye is gonna really only hurt those who buy specific calibers. Most companies like Wolf, had already been moving production out of Russia anyway.

With the current clusterfuck around the world, inflation etc prices are gonna suck for a while.

However, demand is not weaning and thus shelves being stocked is not necessarily a good sign of improvement.

Powder and primers trickle out every week, anywhere reasonably priced sells out in minutes or hours. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

It was my first time there and they seemed pretty cool.

Are they a-holes?

I haven't bought anything from the since the late 1990s, but at that time, they were great.  Of course I was usually buying for my company and spent a LOT of money there.

3 hours ago, revenger said:

anyone know of a place with FFg blackpowder  and #11 caps

I can't find black powder anywhere. Just picked up 300 #11 caps at Cabelas in Manassas. They had no black powder, just lots of Pyrodex and 777. Black powder is getting real scarce, especially with Hodgdon announcing the closure of the Goex plant (the only BP plant in the US). The days of real black powder are numbered.

I'm just back from a week in Idaho.   I didn't have time to get to any gun shops up north in the Panhandle, but did wander into a Sportsman's Warehouse in southern Idaho.  They had a reasonable selection of handguns and long guns, but they weren't fully stocked.  They still had the two used, high-end Walther bullseye guns they had when I was there in April. They also had a reasonable selection of bullets and loaded ammo in most of the calibers they normally carry, but what was missing was selection.   If you were after a specific brand or bullet weight, you'd often be out of luck, but you could at east find something to shoot.  Prices were somewhat elevated, but I didn't pay a lot of attention; it's been a very long time since I've bought centerfire ammo.   I did note that the only .22 LR they had was Win Super X, at $15 for a plastic pack of 100.  Also elevated from a year or two ago, but Super X has never been one of the bargain brands.  They had a decent selection of high-end hunting shotshells, but no target loads.   The trap and skeet shooters are having a rough year, though I did note they had lead shot for about the same price as it has been in recent years.

Other than bullets and shot, the other components were mostly absent.   They had only three pounds of assorted powder on the shelf, each $37.   There were no primers when I was there, only a sign on an empty shelf limiting purchasers to 1000/day.  No idea what the price would have been.  It was sad to see so many empty shelves.