82flh

question about my ammo

With the exception of hollowpoint ammo, there's no restriction on transporting ammo as long as it is separate from any firearms.

Hollowpoint ammo can only be legally possessed in some narrow situations: transporting from home to range, range to home, store to home.  Home to home is not exempted (If the question comes up, you are transporting from an out of state range to home.)

Best practice if transporting outside a trunk or in a part of the car that is otherwise visible to someone outside the car - cover it with a blanket or similar so that it doesn't raise a question if stopped.

its going to be hard for me with guns in NJ im divorcing and no longer have a home...i will be renting...anyone in here swing it renting with guns?...tough one!....im debating whether to bring my gun safe or just leave it to her...hmmm....guns and renting.....tough one! so many thieve landlords out there...they see a gun safe and the crooks come out!

IANAL...but I believe your "home" is where you hang your hat...owned or rented makes no difference.

I think you are over thinking/worrying this. Bring your NJ legal ammo into NJ. Drive like an adult on your trip here. Unload ammo into your apartment.

Dunzo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

With the exception of hollowpoint ammo, there's no restriction on transporting ammo as long as it is separate from any firearms.

Hollowpoint ammo can only be legally possessed in some narrow situations: transporting from home to range, range to home, store to home.  Home to home is not exempted (If the question comes up, you are transporting from an out of state range to home.)

Best practice if transporting outside a trunk or in a part of the car that is otherwise visible to someone outside the car - cover it with a blanket or similar so that it doesn't raise a question if stopped.

I don't know about covering it with a blanket.  Any time I've stopped a car and they had a blanket over something I the back seat it's piqued my interest.

11 minutes ago, 82flh said:

its going to be hard for me with guns in NJ im divorcing and no longer have a home...i will be renting...anyone in here swing it renting with guns?...tough one!....im debating whether to bring my gun safe or just leave it to her...hmmm....guns and renting.....tough one! so many thieve landlords out there...they see a gun safe and the crooks come out!

7 minutes ago, dajonga said:

IANAL...but I believe your "home" is where you hang your hat...owned or rented makes no difference.

I think you are over thinking/worrying this. Bring your NJ legal ammo into NJ. Drive like an adult on your trip here. Unload ammo into your apartment.

Dunzo.

Home is where you live.  Own, rent, or live there otherwise.

Examples?

If your adult child owns firearms and lives at no cost in your house, that's his home.

Your brother, friend, etc moves back into the state and stays with you at no cost whilst they look for house or apartment.  That's their home.

3 hours ago, 82flh said:

Rented an apartment for a long time and had a big collection of guns and ammo.

Definitely get a safe.  When you have it moved/delivered, ask whoever is doing the moving to throw a dark sheet over it as they bring it in.  Or get a "modular" safe that you can bring in piece by piece and assemble:

https://www.snapsafe.com/modular-safes/

I had my safe inside a closet so it wasn't out in the open for when the superintendent/contractors/building inspectors etc. came through.

15 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Rented an apartment for a long time and had a big collection of guns and ammo.

Definitely get a safe.  When you have it moved/delivered, ask whoever is doing the moving to throw a dark sheet over it as they bring it in.  Or get a "modular" safe that you can bring in piece by piece and assemble:

https://www.snapsafe.com/modular-safes/

I had my safe inside a closet so it wasn't out in the open for when the superintendent/contractors/building inspectors etc. came through.

Good advice.

The delivery time of the safe plays a role in Operations Security. Most apartment complexes are pretty empty midmorning to mid-afternoon on a weekday this time of year.  People at work, kids at school. No one around to see what you're doing.

Another idea is get yourself a refrigerator box.  You don't have to put the safe in the box.  Just band the outside to the safe.  Every refrigerator I've seen is packaged the same way.

we are in such crummy anti gun times...its good conversation....when traveling back home to NJ i was considering not even using a gun safe for transport with all the anti gun cops just looking for aomething to pull you over for...im using an open trailer....the times we are in man...geez

6 hours ago, 82flh said:

I do not have a house/mortgage in my name but I am a resident at that location per my driver's license.  Sometimes concealed storage or semi concealed storage is the best way to go until something better comes along.  Keep your stuff!

On 10/15/2021 at 1:15 PM, 82flh said:

moving back to NJ can i bring my ammo with me? i have alot....making sure

thanks

Nope. PM me and I'll give you my address so you can drop it all off. :D

I put it in plastic totes with snap lids from Costco and zip tied it all the way around to keep anyone from peeking at my "tools". 

black-husky-storage-bins-totes-206133-64_1000.jpg

12 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Nope. PM me and I'll give you my address so you can drop it all off. :D

I put it in plastic totes with snap lids from Costco and zip tied it all the way around to keep anyone from peeking at my "tools". 

black-husky-storage-bins-totes-206133-64_1000.jpg

I have 4 25 gallon lockable tool boxes full of ‘tools’ to be moved. 

This is what I used. 
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-29-in-Black-Plastic-Wheeled-Lockable-Tool-Box/1000578357

On 10/15/2021 at 4:05 PM, 82flh said:

i tried to buy the house next to me last year...for the purpose of renting it out. dammit. i'd have been happy to have a fellow gun owner renting,,,,,,