1LtCAP

ok this is gonna be really stupid.

so for the last few years, i've noticed kids and younger people carrying backpacks. all the time. in stores, on bikes, when they get outta their cars......literally everywhere.

of late, i've been noticing older folk carrying them too. so.....what gives? are these people just not using their pockets anymore?

Maybe people carrying laptops and such for work? I know I did that, but maybe going to an office is ancient history.

Even pandemic aside, in some places people carry lots of stuff with them in backpacks: sanitary supplies, water, snacks... Maybe people are carrying more stuff so they interact with less people?

25 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Maybe people carrying laptops and such for work? I know I did that, but maybe going to an office is ancient history.

Even pandemic aside, in some places people carry lots of stuff with them in backpacks: sanitary supplies, water, snacks... Maybe people are carrying more stuff so they interact with less people?

those are a couple good possibilities. i know quite a few people....friends and customers who aren't going back into the office because they like working from home...though you can't tell by the traffic i drive in, lolol......as for trying to interact with less people....i've been noticing this trend since before the panic.

43 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Well most people are wearing sweatpants and pajamas around now so... no pockets?

very excellent point. it's unbelievable how many people walk around in pajamas and prison slippers. it's like no one's got any pride in themselves anymore......

Kids have been going out to parties, etc with backpacks for years.  Most of them will have a water bottle filled with gin or vodka.   Plus whatever other stuff they feel they need to lug around.  Seems like a pain in the ass to me.  I guess minors who can’t get served would stash booze in it.  Other than that and your wallet, what the hell would you need to carry around?

I carry a back back when I travel . . . My "modern" life usually requires a laptop or tablet, phone charger, headphones and other things that would get me strange looks if I stuffed them in my pockets.  

9 minutes ago, EdF said:

I carry a back back when I travel . . . My "modern" life usually requires a laptop or tablet, phone charger, headphones and other things that would get me strange looks if I stuffed them in my pockets.  

that's why i wear cargo pants. but then again i've been switching fron cargo pants to jeans and back again since the first time cargo pants were popular in the what? mid-late 80's?

• Agree 1

My 16 y/o son has a few drawstring bags he  can wear on his shoulders.  In his highschool they weren't using lockers for the longest time because of covid. He kept everything in the bag. He walks to work so he carries his gear in it. 

He carries a bottle of water.  Snacks. Masks. Ear buds to listen to music. His case for his Invisalign (braces). Not sure if his wallet is in his pocket or in his bag. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Glock guy said:

I see young people at the gym working out, lugging backpacks around with them.  To tell you the truth, it makes me a little nervous. 

ever since the riots started a few years ago, when i see anyone under about 30 with a backpack and a skateboard......nervous is me.