Bomber

Bushmaster Binary Trigger AR N.J. compliant?

Binary Triggers fall into the NJ AWB's definition of a machine gun - more than 1 shot per trigger actuation.  

However, the  automatic reset type triggers (Rare Breed FRT-15, Wide Open Trigger, Graves Star-fire ART V2, etc.) are technically legal in this state.  

1 hour ago, Old Glock guy said:

OK, I had to look that one up.  Wouldn't that be dangerous, if you fired one round and didn't want to fire a second?  Is there a way to decock it or something if you don't want to fire another round?

If you're in Binary mode and have the trigger pulled, you can switch the safety/selector switch back to semi and it will not fire on release.

1 hour ago, Old Glock guy said:

OK, I had to look that one up.  Wouldn't that be dangerous, if you fired one round and didn't want to fire a second?  Is there a way to decock it or something if you don't want to fire another round?

on the franklin armory version, if you hold the trigger before releasing, then it functions as a normal trigger. if you press/release immediately, then it fires 2 rounds. 1 round for each action. i think nj changed the wording of the statute because of that. i think it used to say "1 round ofr each action of the trigger" and they changed it to "1 round for each pull of the trigger".

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

So nothing about 1 round for each "release" of the trigger?

The actual text is:

"Machine gun" means any firearm, mechanism or instrument not requiring that the trigger be pressed for each shot

So with a binary trigger, pressing/releasing the trigger shooting 2 shots meets the definition of MG.

By that definition a FRT is fine as the trigger is still getting pressed for each shot.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

The actual text is:

So with a binary trigger, pressing/releasing the trigger shooting 2 shots meets the definition of MG.

By that definition a FRT is fine as the trigger is still getting pressed for each shot.

what's the wording in the definition of semi auto though? and what did it used to be?

11 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

So nothing about 1 round for each "release" of the trigger?

i think it used to say "for each action". press the trigger is an action. release the trigger is an action.

that said.......if there were a way that i could purchase one of the forced reset triggers for cash and face to face at a brick n mortar store.....i'd buy one if for no other reason than the bs stink that's being raised over it now. i will not buy something like that over the interweb or with a cc for obvious reasons.

47 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

what's the wording in the definition of semi auto though? and what did it used to be?

i think it used to say "for each action". press the trigger is an action. release the trigger is an action.

"semi-automatic" means a firearm which fires a single projectile for each pull of the trigger and is self-reloading or

automatically chambers a round, cartridge or bullet

I don't think it was action.