82flh

are ak pistols legal in NJ in 556? or 762?

I think it’s not explicitly illegal but it’s hard to stay under the required weight limit of 50 oz that applies to handguns that have a magazine outside the grip. Plus no handguard.

edit…this is what is no good:

A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:  
(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; 
(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer; 
(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned; 
(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or 
(5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm; and

44 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I think it’s not explicitly illegal but it’s hard to stay under the required weight limit of 50 oz that applies to handguns that have a magazine outside the grip. Plus no handguard.

edit…this is what is no good:

A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:  
(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; 
(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer; 
(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned; 
(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or 
(5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm; and

Which was my point….

AK pistols?  None I know of.

AR Pistols?  Only a few meet the weight requirement - Bushmaster Carbon-15 Pistol (with no handguard), Olympic Arms OA-93 (again with no handguard), and the Extar EXP-556 (again "remanufactured" with no handguard).