shooter28

CO elk hunt

Just got out of the woods yesterday. A group of us had set up camp near the China Wall Flat Tops for 1st season rifle elk hunting. 

Took my very first elk at 711 yards with my 6.5cm. I was shooting the 127g Barnes LRX rounds. I was up on a ridge line shooting down into a opening in the timber. She was standing broadside and I placed the crosshairs just off to the side of the front shoulder. The bullet actually hit a few inches higher, going thru the blackstrap area and severing the spine. The round dropped her in her tracks without taking a step. She fell awkwardly on fallen logs. While she was practically dead, she was still moving her head around so I chambered another round and put a final round thru her neck to finish her off. 

Both shots penetrated both sides of he elk and continued into the ground. It was late afternoon and sunlight was disappearing quickly so I didn’t have time to dig around looking for the round. I’m impressed tho. Will definitely be using these LRX rounds for future hunts.

The rifle
51615317325_8ee018443e_k.jpg

Shooting lane ( the opening area in the timber)
51615137879_dbc900540a_k.jpg

The elk
51615308010_254dc71ed3_b.jpg

28 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

Nice shot. How are you dragging that elk out of the woods

It took 4 of us to quarter her and hike her up the mountain back to camp. The following day we hiked her, along with 2 other elk, 4 miles back to the trail head where the truck was parked