revenger

gun safety rule# 1 alec baldwin

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2021/10/21/alec-baldwin-accidentally-shot-and-killed-female-cinematographer-injured-director-on-movie-set/

safety rules dont apply to these elites.

my question is,  who owned the gun and was it legally transferred to baldwin.   if that even matters to this crowd since gun laws are only for us.

I’m joking about it but in reality it’s horrible. Schadenfreude aside, this will help no one. Two innocent people that didn’t deserve to be shot were. One has now died and one is seriously injured - this is what we all train to avoid - and this does nothing to further our cause of gun rights. This will win us no allies it won’t sway a single person towards our cause.

This incident is dark comedy materiel for some, but mostly it is fuel that the Anti 2A crowd can use against us. One more tragedy on their list that they can put their finger on as they scream that guns are killing people. 
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Displaced Texan said:

Karma always finds a way. 

I agree it’s rewarding to see karma smack that twatwaffle in the face. But the resulting death and injury help no one.

Mostly, it won’t help us.

We all treat guns seriously. We train ourselves, we teach others, and we constantly preach safety - precisely so this kind of thing doesn’t happen - regardless of who it happens to.

We shouldn’t celebrate when it does, even if they had it coming.

• Agree 1

It was on a movie set with a supposedly prop gun... not sure I would apply safety rules here. 

I do wonder how the fuck two people were struck with what was supposedly "blanks" 

I recall the guy died while filming The Crow, because the blanks cartridges weren't properly loaded..

5 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Tex, Not directed at you or anyone specifically.

Hell, I posted the first meme poking fun.

In retrospect, I probably shouldn’t have.

But - It is satisfying when karma does what karma does and it is hard to not enjoy a good shitshow when it happens.

I didn’t take it that way, but like you, I kinda thought more about what I posted and figured I’d better clarify my position. 

6 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I recall the guy died while filming The Crow, because the blanks cartridges weren't properly loaded..

Brandon Lee was killed by a bullet fragment during a scene in which blanks were supposed to be fired from a .44 Magnum 

In an earlier special-effects scene, a .44-caliber bullet was fired from the same gun. That bullet broke apart, leaving a piece lodged in the barrel. No one properly checked or cleaned the gun before placing it in storage, and it was pulled out for Lee’s scene because it contained dummy rounds.

During Lee’s scene, the fragment fired out of the barrel.

• Informative 1

It’s a cowboy movie - that means revolvers.

On camera, you can see an empty chamber in a cylinder so they install dummy parts that make the gun look loaded.

My understanding of what happened to Brandon Lee is one of the little fake rounds, or a part of one,  got loose and ended up lodged in the barrel from an earlier scene. A blank was loaded behind it, essentially creating a live round when fired.

My assumption - something similar happened. He likely pointed the “blank” gun at the camera and pulled the trigger while the barre was obstructed. This would explain how the director of cinematography and director were hit.

That being said, I wasn’t there and this is all conjecture. We may hear the truth, or we may not….. doesn’t matter.

All the media will share is - two innocent people are dead because “guns are bad” 

14 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

It was on a movie set with a supposedly prop gun... not sure I would apply safety rules here. 

Rule 1: Treat all firearms as if they are loaded. Alternately, Know the condition of your firearm at all times. (I will argue an empty gun when you need it to be live is just as much as a safety violation as a live gun when you thought it was empty.)

I teach my kid to follow the rules with nerf and laser tag guns. I teach all new shooters to follow the Four rules with red guns and inert trainers. No excuse and no exceptions.

• Agree 2

41 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

this is what we all train to avoid - and this does nothing to further our cause of gun rights. This will win us no allies it won’t sway a single person towards our cause.

If he knew ANYTHING or had ANY training at all about firearm safety he would have tripled checked the "prop gun" before pointing it at anyone. But his mentality is probably ""It's not a real gun" and/or "It's somebody else's job to check it".  How long would it have taken?  Thirty seconds to check it?  But he probably never took the time to learn.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened (The Crow).  Simply taking a firearm safety course could help avoid something like this.  Yes, it's a horrible but EASILY avoidable accident which we can and should use as an educational and teaching point.  You can be anti-gun but still be sensible and responsible when handling firearms.  ESPECIALLY if it's part of your job to frequently handle firearms.

Again, conjecture because I am not in the business, but…

I do know that there are strict chain of custody rules to firearms on film sets for the specific reason to avoid accidents like this.

I would imagine that actors are given the firearm by the prop master and told not to fuck with it at all - aside from completing the actions as scripted and directed - until the prop master retrieves it.

Sure, you or I could probably inspect and determine function and safety, but an actor? Unrealistic and unreasonable to assume they are all trained, familiar, or educated in gun safety or firearm rules.

13 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

ESPECIALLY if it's part of your job to frequently handle firearms.

It’s the prop masters job to “handle” the firearms. It’s the actors job to do as they are “directed” with the firearms.

2 hours ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Wow, lots of facts missing and many questions.  For starters, since when is a movie “prop” gun able to fire live rounds?  

2 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

so uummm......i thought prop guns couldn't fire live rounds?  and how did he "accidentally" shoot two people? was there over-penetration on the first one hit and he got a twofer?

Lots of prop guns are real guns. Sometimes fitted with blank adapters internally. There are dedicated blank firing replicas, but they pretty much suck in terms of looks and reliability. So it's usually real, airsoft, simulators, or rubber guns. With simulators being the most uncommon. But....

1) There should be NO live ammo on set, ever. 

2) blanks should never be fired AT someone. Usually you take advantage of the 2d nature of film and the charactersits of the lens to make it look like you are pointing it at someone. 

So in this case, some kind of fuckery was afoot. It wouldn't surprise me if you saw a repeat of the Brandon Lee situation, where budget issue, shitty conditions, and shitty hours left them with no armorer on set and they decided to play amateur hour and got someone killed for it. 

From the sounds of the news so far, it seems like they were filming a shot where the gun would be fired towards the camera, and the DP and director didn't vacate the space behind the camera. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Was texting a friend about this earlier. AB's actions caused the death of someone, he is a murderer. That seems rather clear to me. He pulled the trigger.

Very few people in the World know all of the facts right now. Those facts would determine who else holds partial blame for the death. I think there are probably several people who hold partial blame. Many safety rules had to have been broken here. 

If Jane Doe handed John Doe a firearm and said it's not loaded, then John pointed that firearm at Jill Doe and pulled the trigger, sending a projectile into Jill's body causing her death, who would be facing murder charges? John would be. Sure, Jane might face some charges herself, but John would not walk away free. The fact that this tragedy (which it still is, no matter who was responsible) happened on a movie set, has zero bearing on anything else, in my opinion. 

AB needs to face the consequences of his actions. The fact that he probably will not serves as further proof Justice is not in fact blind as we're all asked to believe. There are rules for them and rules for us. 

• Agree 1

"A live single round was accidentally fired on set by the principal actor, hitting both the Director of Photography, Local 600 member Halyna Hutchins, and Director Joel Souza," the union said in an email to members, reports Insider. "Local 44 has confirmed that the Props, Set Decoration, Special Effects, and Construction Departments were staffed by New Mexico crew members. There were no Local 44 members on the call sheet."

It remains unconfirmed if it was a live round or a blank that was fired; a prop masters' union described it on Friday morning as a 'live round' and Baldwin was heard asking people around him why he'd been handed a 'hot gun'. 

'In all my years, I’ve never been handed a hot gun,' he was heard saying. 

A spokesman for both the film production and Baldwin said on Thursday night that it was an accident involving a 'gun loaded with blanks'.  

It is common on movie sets for actors  to use real guns loaded with blanks or dummy bullets to give a more lifelike effect in shooting. But it remains unclear how a blank could have killed Hutchins, or how a live round accidentally ended up in the gun's chamber when Baldwin pulled the trigger. 

The movie's prop master - who is ordinarily in charge of the weapons - has not yet been named. (Daily Mail)

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2021/10/22/baldwin-speaks-out-n2597874

1 hour ago, kc17 said:

AB's actions caused the death of someone, he is a murderer.

He is only a murderer if he intended to kill the victim.

Guilty of homicide, for sure. Not necessarily murder.

Consider if you shot and killed someone in self defense. You would have caused the death of that someone, but it would not have been murder.

There are other degrees of homicide between a justified killing and murder, too.

• Agree 1

OK, so seriously. Baldwin is a rich, big-mouth, pompous ass who's reveled for years and used his fame haranguing gun owners because he has virtuously decided they're evil.

But that didn't dissuade him from making a bunch of money waving guns around in movies. That's why he gets no sympathy from me.

If he was serious about 'gun safety', and knew he'd be handling firearms whether props or not, he would have taken safety courses.

Then he would have known that the last hand on the firearm is the one responsible for it's discharge, and checked it himself. His latest online remark is something to the effect that 'I've never been handed a live gun on set'.

From here on in Alec, you'll probably never be handed a firearm. On set or off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1