82flh

receipts for your guns in NJ

so i went thru receipts to make sure i had 1 for each gun/rifle

im missing one for a tp9sfx is there a place to trace serial number since i cant remember

who i bought it from?...it was online purchase

also in NJ do they seize guns without proof of purchase?

i been scrambling trying to find the dam receipt

thanks in advance guys!

god bless

You will only be arrested/charged for breaking any of the numerous NJ statutes.

There is no statute that says you must keep a receipt for any firearm acquired. I have transferred guns to friends with no money changing hands at all - no receipt to retain.

So long as you complied with the law when you acquired the pistol you're fine. Assuming you acquired it while a NJ resident so you will have executed a Permit to Purchase a Pistol (and form of register). A copy of that will have been sent to your issuing PD as well as the State Police. You also got a copy, but there is no penalty for losing it.

Buying the pistol online is irrelevant as it would have been sent to an FFL in NJ and they would have done the background check  before transferring it to you.

What you can be arrested/charged with is possessing it in circumstances prohibited in the statutes. Where you obtained it is secondary.

11 minutes ago, 82flh said:

so i went thru receipts to make sure i had 1 for each gun/rifle

im missing one for a tp9sfx is there a place to trace serial number since i cant remember

who i bought it from?...it was online purchase

also in NJ do they seize guns without proof of purchase?

i been scrambling trying to find the dam receipt

thanks in advance guys!

god bless

I don't think the receipts are that important.  If you bought it here, they have all the details already.  If you brought it with you in a move, inherited it, or bought it face-to-face back when it didn't have to go through an FFL, it's still legal, though admittedly harder to prove (but that burden should be on the state).

no guys....im still in TN moving back to NJ...i bought them here legally

i dont know if NJ requires receipts for people out of state...and of course the shitbags in NJ tell you nothing!...but m sure they'll be quick to seize anything without proof of purchase ;)

(Edit - II neglected to read you bought it in TN... maybe disregard :D )
More than receipts, it might be more important to hold onto the exercised handgun permit. (Feel free to educate me if that's not the case!)

The eligibility paperwork for long guns would probably be good to have as well, though I imagine not as much as the pistol permits.

Edited by Lawnmower2021

If it’s a legal firearm in NJ (ie: not an NFA item, not specifically named in the statute, and/or qualifies for the NJ AWB) and it was bought legally in the state you were living in prior to the move here, you can bring it to NJ with no paperwork required or needed.

If you wish, you can contact your local PD and do a VOLUNTARY registration to acquire NJ paperwork for each firearm as appropriate for the type (pistol vs rifle/shotgun), but again - that is voluntary and not compulsory.

Once here all NJ regulations apply to future purchases, transports, ammo restrictions, etc…

Do not make it harder than it has to be.

• Like 1

There is one situation where having receipts for handgun transfers could save you grief:

If you acquired handgun(s) in NJ, those handguns are registered with NJSP through the transfer process.

If you continue to live in NJ, but sell one or more handguns outside of NJ, then it would be prudent to keep records of those sales.

If you are ever subject to firearm confiscation (say, due to domestic violence or red flag order), the police are going to come to your door with a list of a handgun(s) for you to surrender.  If you do not surrender every handgun on that list, or provide evidence as to why the handgun is no longer in your possession, then you can expect a search warrant to get executed.