jm1827

Glass for my AR

I have an AR that I built, 223/556,  nothing fancy but it shoots well for me.  I have a red-dot on it now and can hit a 8 inch plate consistently at 300 yards.

I am thinking about putting a scope on it and am looking for some recommendations, I would like to punch paper out to 300 yards.

I am currently using Vortex Vipers of one sort or another on most of my rifles, and they work fine, so I was thinking about going that route but would like to hear what others recommend.  I have a Night force on my 6.5 CM, but I don't think I need that much for this gun.

I would like to spend less than a grand, much less if possible.

Thanks,

I have a 1-6x Strike Eagle (they make 1-8 now too) and it does everything I want it to do. Only a few hundred bucks and good warranty 

edit: never mind I see you want precision work out to 300 yards. Probably not a great fit then, but I really like the new LVPOs bc they act like almost a dot up close and still can take the longer shots. 

After a bunch of research for some affordable glass for a 18” AR in an SPR role, I settled on:

Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 FFP EBR-2C MOA

GtmYpr4.jpg

Well under $500 if you shop around or catch a sale.

I bought it with the intent to upgrade at some point, but I am seriously impressed - the only knock is that it does not have an illuminated reticle, but that is really an unnecessary feature that falls into the “kinda want” and not the “need” category.

I have also come to the realization that I will have to drop serious coin to make any great improvements over the capabilities this optic gives me. Not sure if the juice is going to be worth the squeeze.

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

After a bunch of research for some affordable glass for a 18” AR in an SPR role, I settled on:

GtmYpr4.jpg

I bought it with the intent to upgrade at some point, but I am seriously impressed - the only knock is that it does not have an illuminated reticle, but that is really an unnecessary feature that falls into the “kinda want” and not the “need” category.

I have also come to the realization that I will have to drop serious coin to make any great improvements over the capabilities this optic gives me. Not sure if the juice is going to be worth the squeeze.

nice stick, saw this post late but Burris is my go to.  I've had the diamondbacks and outstanding value for the price. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/30/2021 at 12:55 PM, High Exposure said:

GtmYpr4.jpg

Thanks for the info, this looks like a solid scope.  How do you like the FFP? 

I only have a FFP scope on one of my rifles and am just now getting used to it.  I may be a bit old school as I had learned to use a moderately powered scope and always have it on on the highest magnification when milling or using the subtensions for holdover.

As a wise man once said - “Mission drives the gear train.”

I have 1-4 LVPOs an a couple carbines with SFP reticle (Steiner P4Xi). I zero them at 50/200 and use them the same as I do an Aimpoint out past 300 yards. Using them that way, the static reticle and zooming view does not matter.

Place dot and press trigger straight to the rear - this gives me a maximum of +/- 3” elevation variance out to ~250yards. Past that, it’s all holdovers for placement.

On this SPRish gun, it’s more about precision. So the FFP makes it easier as the reticle zooms with the view, making the subtensions and math work correctly - but with the EBR reticle, if I can see the “splash” on a miss, I can make an instant correction and get a quick hit without fiddling with math or turrets.

On 11/1/2021 at 5:07 PM, High Exposure said:

As a wise man once said - “Mission drives the gear train.”

I have 1-4 LVPOs an a couple carbines with SFP reticle (Steiner P4Xi). I zero them at 50/200 and use them the same as I do an Aimpoint out past 300 yards. Using them that way, the static reticle and zooming view does not matter.

Place dot and press trigger straight to the rear - this gives me a maximum of +/- 3” elevation variance out to ~250yards. Past that, it’s all holdovers for placement.

On this SPRish gun, it’s more about precision. So the FFP makes it easier as the reticle zooms with the view, making the subtensions and math work correctly - but with the EBR reticle, if I can see the “splash” on a miss, I can make an instant correction and get a quick hit without fiddling with math or turrets.

I ordered the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 FFP EBR-2C MOA.  Can I ask what rings you used?

Thanks!

A very brief range report.

I purchased the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 FFP EBR-2C MOA and mounted it to my AR-15.  My gun is a budget build that I pieced together a few years ago with a Delton lower receiver, PSA parts kit with an AeroPrecision upper.

For the price point I really like the scope (I found it for $349 on sale), clearer than I expected and tracks well when adjusting both elevation and windage.  

Bore scoped the rifle and was on paper with the firat shot at 50 yards, had the scope zeroed 2 shots later.  I only shot out to 100 yards due to time, as I try and get a half hour or so of shooting before work on Fridays.

My gun is probably around a 2- 2.5MOA shooter, hopefully I can get a bit more accuracy out of reloads bit I am not disappointed at all.

Definitely a very good scope for the $$$.

Thanks!

• Like 2