Cheflife15

Lever guns

1 minute ago, Redeye65 said:

Without a side gate you load the rifle from the front through the tube.

With a side gate you can load it from the front through the tube or through the side gate in the receiver.

I'm fine either way. It'll be a fun range toy. I think it'll be cool to be good with a lever gun though. I'm gunna take a trip to shooters.

7 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Is it me or have these skyrocketed in price over the last 6 months or so? 

Prices have been steadily increasing over the past 15 years, spurred by events like Marlin being bought by Remington, then handed off to Ruger.  Original JM stamped Marlins sell for a premium now.  I have one that has quadrupled in value in the twelve years I've owned it.  The frenzy to buy JM stamped Marlins has caused a bit of a "buzz" in the gun world, and now everyone wants lever guns all the sudden.  Cowboy action competitions have caused a significant spike in prices for 38/357  44sp/44mag and other cartridges you may have never heard of like 32-20.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Over a century Winchester made 7.5 million lever actions, Marlin made 5 million. I would search used models from either maker over a Henry, only .357 mag. & .44 Mag chamberings will be fetching premium prices. 

I don't think lever actions have ever gone out of favor, they are still found in every deer camp in America come the Fall deer season. 

PS - Have you priced a new Winchester 94 lately? 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

They look pricey. What advantage does the marlin and Winchester have over the henry? Better action? Better reliability? 

Just my opinion, but the Marlin has the least amount of parts, offers durability in a time-tested design. Winchester is a classic Browning design; more parts, yet sturdy construction. Throw in the mix of how they were made a century ago to today, is what has made some more desirable than others, etc. New Winchester's are made in Japan by Miroku; the same folks who have been making the Citori since 1973, which is a close copy of the Browning Superposed crafted in Belgium. Great quality, but it comes at a price.  

Henry is a more modern design, American-made, but I am not a fan of MIM parts in its construction, or need for a transfer bar that wears, etc. But I know many folks who love their Henry's. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

They look pricey. What advantage does the marlin and Winchester have over the henry? Better action? Better reliability? 

None whatsoever. I have all three and like the Henry's way more than the others. I just bought a side gate case hardened octagon barrel 45Colt Henry a couple of months ago and it is my current favorite lever rifle. I saw a brass Henry 357 lever action at the LGS for $829

• Thanks 1

Which henry 22? The basic Henry 22 does not have nice wood like the Golden Boy models. The wood on all of my Henry rifles is far nicer than the wood on any of my Marlin's. The first two pics are two different Henry's. The third is the Henry in 45 Colt, and the last in my first year Marlin 1894 in 357 magnum. The Henry's are way smoother and I think the wood is much nicer. 

IMG_0226.jpeg

IMG_0227.jpeg

IMG_0224.jpeg

IMG_0229.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LiveWire said:

I have 2 Henry lever actions, a Mare's Leg and a Golden Boy, both .22lr. The owners manual says repeated dry firing can eventually peen the edge of the chamber, making it difficult to load & extract cartridges.

I have been taught to never dry-fire a rimfire gun and that it is safe to dry-fire modern centerfire guns.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, JC_68Westy said:

I have been taught to never dry-fire a rimfire gun

It depends on the gun.  My 1971 Marlin 39D can be dry fired, but earlier 39s should not.  I do not recall the details, but it has something to do with the mechanics of the firing pin.  Newer 22s have a firing pin stop to prevent peening.

If in doubt, there's always snap caps.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

It depends on the gun.  My 1971 Marlin 39D can be dry fired, but earlier 39s should not.  I do not recall the details, but it has something to do with the mechanics of the firing pin.  Newer 22s have a firing pin stop to prevent peening.

If in doubt, there's always snap caps.

I think Marlin modified the firing pin tip in 1972. 

Henry of course doesn't recommend it, but it's fine - I've seen plenty of reports of people dry firing Henry lever actions with no issues - especially when you shoot the last round and keep cycling and firing... 

I mean, it's not something I'd do excessively - if you're doing that, get snap caps.  Otherwise you're fine.

I have a Henry all weather 30-30, love it.

I avoid the lever guns when I'm there, I keep eyeing this from afar, if I get to close they (any firearm) seem to come home with me.

Winchester Repeating Arms 1892 Carbine 534196141 | Shooters Sporting Center (shootersnj.com)

• Haha 1

Just now, Cheflife15 said:

Any insight or reviews of rossis?

Rossi is a crap shoot.  Some are absolutely fantastic, while others are garbage.  Most of the people I know that own a Rossi are satisfied, but few are tickled pink over them.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, silverado427 said:

I always wanted a 30 30 lever action rifle. 

I said the same for a while. Took me five decades before I came full circle and came into an '84 336 Texan TS that was customized by a friend. At only  36", it fits the bill of a handy rifle.