Cheflife15

Lever guns

24 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

If you mean 35 Rem, the folks over at the Marlin forum say it's coming back.  Be prepared for wallet shock.

Loaded factory rounds I have. Components like bullets are as scarce as hen's teeth. 

.35 Remington ammo comes up every couple of years or so and Federal or Remington make a batch. Only now it will be twice the price of the $33/box I paid the last time. 

Remington hasn't offered components like bullets for years now. Nothing is ever in stock. 

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/brand/remington-reloading/

Think that .35 cal. bullet is hard to find, try finding .321" diameter bullets for the .32 Win. Spcl.!!

15 minutes ago, oneshot said:
  • I wonder what my 1927 mod94 30-30 is worth now. it was my grandfathers, he shot a boat load of deer with it. has a scope on it. The scope mount is on the side, open sites with slide adjustable rear sight. Would never sell it.

The Winchester purist/collector would be revolted by a drilled & tapped 1927 M94 with a side mount. 

It's still a nice, solid gun. 

19 minutes ago, Parker said:

Think that .35 cal. bullet is hard to find, try finding .321" diameter bullets for the .32 Win. Spcl.!!

Or .30 Mauser bullets (.308, 85 grain)  Or even the Speer 100 grain plinkers in .308 that can be used as a crappy substitute.  I've not seen either in two years, and I've had notifications set on those sites that enable them.

(So if anyone has a lead, let me know!)

40 minutes ago, Parker said:

Boolits in both calibers come up every now and again on the Marlin forum.  Mostly from reloaders quitting the hobby or sold off rifles and no longer reload that cal.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, 10X said:

Or .30 Mauser bullets (.308, 85 grain)  Or even the Speer 100 grain plinkers in .308 that can be used as a crappy substitute.  I've not seen either in two years, and I've had notifications set on those sites that enable them.

(So if anyone has a lead, let me know!)

I was notified weeks ago of some .224 Sierra bullets I had on backorder for three years. Still waiting on my .257 bullets. 

I'm ordering some Hammer bullets in their sampler packs in various calibers. Because they are solid copper and turned on a lathe, I'm treading on unknown ground now, and starting over. 

5 hours ago, Parker said:

The Winchester purist/collector would be revolted by a drilled & tapped 1927 M94 with a side mount. 

It's still a nice, solid gun. 

ill let my grandfather know when i see him in the next life. He wasn't worried about the purist of today he was more interested in putting food on the table back then . The days of wooden ships and iron men .

• Like 4

4 hours ago, oneshot said:

ill let my grandfather know when i see him in the next life. He wasn't worried about the purist of today he was more interested in putting food on the table back then . The days of wooden ships and iron men .

Your grandfather was ahead of his time. He optimized a good gun to make it better. 

• Thanks 1

I can’t believe no one has mentioned it, but the old Savage Model 99 is an excellent rifle. I borrowed one many years ago on a hunting trip. 

The one I borrowed was in .300 Savage. What a great little rifle! 

1 minute ago, Displaced Texan said:

I can’t believe no one has mentioned it, but the old Savage Model 99

NJ isn't exactly a lever gun kinda state.  The deer hunting culture here (by no fault of hunters) is too entrenched in shotguns.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

NJ isn't exactly a lever gun kinda state.  The deer hunting culture here (by no fault of hunters) is too entrenched in shotguns.

Well, you actually can't hunt deer with a rifle in NJ; shotgun only. That's one (of the many) reasons I hunt in PA. With a Marlin .30-30 lever action. 

13 minutes ago, Grapeshot said:

Well, you actually can't hunt deer with a rifle in NJ; shotgun only.

Hence "by no fault of hunters".  If rifles were an option, I'm sure the 30-30 would have been popular in NJ.  Most deer are taken inside 100 yds and the 30-30 was tailor made for that.  I'm kinda surprised at how many large states are shotgun only.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

It was buckshot-only into the early 70's before they allowed slugs for big game. Then they included muzzleloaders. Took them decades to become progressive. 

On 8/29/2022 at 7:49 PM, Displaced Texan said:

I can’t believe no one has mentioned it, but the old Savage Model 99 is an excellent rifle. I borrowed one many years ago on a hunting trip. 

The one I borrowed was in .300 Savage. What a great little rifle! 

I included a couple in the picture I posted here the other day.