Cheflife15

Lever guns

31 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I thought I read somewhere someone is making one in 5.56. 

Henry makes the Long Ranger in 223/556, .243 Win, .308 Win, and 6.5 Creedmore. They are similar to the Browning BLR. They use box magazines due to the pointed bullets.

18 hours ago, JC_68Westy said:

Henry makes the Long Ranger in 223/556, .243 Win, .308 Win, and 6.5 Creedmore. They are similar to the Browning BLR. They use box magazines due to the pointed bullets.

I prefer the older steel-receiver BLR's (original Belgium & BLR-81) over the new aluminum receiver BLR. The Long Ranger is nice, but it's not a BLR. 

If you want real old school pick the discontinued Savage 99. All steel construction, chambered in more cartridges than other lever guns, with an internal rotary magazine, and able to handle high pressure bottleneck cartridges in a striker-fired design developed more than a century ago. They came in many configurations from carbine to rifle. They are fast becoming collector items and command high prices. 

But I'm getting off the main topic here. I think the OP was inquiring about a cowboy lever action in .357. There are plenty of lever-actions out there that will always be popular.   

3 hours ago, Parker said:

I prefer the older steel-receiver BLR's (original Belgium & BLR-81) over the new aluminum receiver BLR. The Long Ranger is nice, but it's not a BLR. 

If you want real old school pick the discontinued Savage 99. All steel construction, chambered in more cartridges than other lever guns, with an internal rotary magazine, and able to handle high pressure bottleneck cartridges in a striker-fired design developed more than a century ago. They came in many configurations from carbine to rifle. They are fast becoming collector items and command high prices. 

But I'm getting off the main topic here. I think the OP was inquiring about a cowboy lever action in .357. There are plenty of lever-actions out there that will always be popular.   

I love reading about other suggestions. Unfortunately money is a bit tight (as I switched careers and am recovering from spinal surgery) so around 900 is my limit. It's just gunna be a fun pinker, I don't have the funds to really collect any guns.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 2:56 PM, Cheflife15 said:

I love reading about other suggestions. Unfortunately money is a bit tight (as I switched careers and am recovering from spinal surgery) so around 900 is my limit. It's just gunna be a fun pinker, I don't have the funds to really collect any guns.

Not to worry. Plenty of lever's out there and plenty of time. 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 11:18 AM, Parker said:

I had a BLR in .308 that I sold for two reasons:  1. it didn't fit me well and 2. it was the least accurate .308 that I have ever owned. It was a beautiful rifle, just not for me.

Don't know how soon you want to pick one up but Ruger purchased Marlin.  

The first Ruger produced Marlins are due to hit the shelves next month I believe.  They will be chambered in 45-70 and 30/30 initially.

They say they will be making a .357 chambering.

"After the 1895SBL rolls out, Killoy said the next gun to return to the Marlin catalog will likely be the Model 336, a people's champ in .30-30, and, later, the Model 1894 in .357 and .44 Magnum. Also fleshing out the Model 1895 will be rifles chambered in .444 Marlin."

I have an older (late 70s produced) Marlin 336 chambered in 30/30 and really enjoy it.  I'm NOT enjoying the scarcity of 30/30 ammo or the price IF you can find.  Hopefully return to normal prices some time soon.

https://www.guns.com/news/2021/10/22/ruger-shows-off-its-1st-marlin-rifle

25 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

After the 1895SBL rolls out, Killoy said the next gun to return to the Marlin catalog will likely be the Model 336, a people's champ in .30-30, and, later, the Model 1894 in .357 and .44 Magnum. Also fleshing out the Model 1895 will be rifles chambered in .444 Marlin."

It is disappointing that the 39A is missing from that list.  They just can't make them at a price most are willing to pay. 

• Agree 1

On 11/13/2021 at 11:41 AM, JC_68Westy said:

I had a BLR in .308 that I sold for two reasons:  1. it didn't fit me well and 2. it was the least accurate .308 that I have ever owned. It was a beautiful rifle, just not for me.

I had heard the same about BLR's stringing their shots as the barrel heated up, erratic groups, etc. But when I found one years ago in the cartridge I had on my bucket list, I picked one up in used but excellent condition and took a chance. I've been surprised by the groups I've gotten with the right bullets in handloads. It seems to digest well anything above 115 gr's. using 4895, 4064, 4350 & 4831 powders.  

It's also pleasing to look at.