H2oVento

How big is your barrel

49 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

Barrel length is largely dependent on your intended use.

Longer barrel:  easier to aim, harder to conceal, less felt recoil

Shorter barrel:  harder to aim, easier to conceal, more felt recoil

Yup. I love my 5” P320 X5 Legion, but there’s almost no way I could conceal it. I love carrying my 3.1” P365, but shoot a competition with it? I have other guns I’d opt for first. 

1 hour ago, H2oVento said:

Just wondering what you perfer a shor barrel, long or someplace inbetween. Spent the weekend shooting a wide verity. from a 2" SW wheel gun, to a 6.5" barrell. I personaly like between 4-5"'s 

It really depends on the intended use.   If you shoot a lot in a session, 2" guns quickly become less fun, and it's a lot harder to shoot them well.   But if you are somewhere you can carry concealed, you aren't going to want too long of a barrel.

Hunters like longer barrels because you can generally coax more velocity out of the round.  Target shooters like longer barrels, to a point, because the extra sight radius makes it possible to aim more precisely if shooting open sights...but weight is more of a consideration in a long match.   Outside of those use cases, balance and aesthetics, which are more personal preference, come into play.

• Like 1

longer barrels get you more velocity. They also add weight which dampens recoil. They tend to have a larger sight radius, which means more feedback about aiming. Some people may find this to feel generally easier to shoot, but some don't and get annoyed by the greater amount of visible shake. Other things factor into that too like blade width and notch width and such. Most ammo and loads are developed for a 4"=6" barrel. 

Most everything I own as far as pistols go is 4.25"-5". 

4 hours ago, H2oVento said:

Just wondering what you perfer a shor barrel, long or someplace inbetween. Spent the weekend shooting a wide verity. from a 2" SW wheel gun, to a 6.5" barrell. I personaly like between 4-5"'s 

I just wanted to know everyones thoughts 

My smaller CCW guns are around 3" for barrels.  I'm not engaging anything with them past 7 or 10 yards max.

That being said, my Glock 48 (Slimline concealed carry type gun) has a slightly longer barrel than my Glock 19.  It's a 4mm diff so really not much but still interesting to see.

I've got 4" and 6" revolvers, and the 6" definitely recoils less.

I'm becoming more partial to 4.5-5" barreled pistols.