MartyZ

Gun storage advice

I know that general discussion is not for gun related topics but this is not really about guns, but storing them.

Anyway, I need some advice and ideas. I currently have all my guns in a 24 gun safe in the master closet. We are thinking about remodeling the master closet and pulling the gun safe out of there and using the hallway linen closet as a gun closet. Now, my current safe will not fit in the linen closet so I need other ideas, the closet door jam is 17 inches wide and the closet itself is 17 inches deep, and I can't replace the door with a vault door, it must look like a regular closet when closed.

So, I need ideas, small gun closet? Replace the door with a solid wood door and install a special locking mechanism? I need ideas.

Is your goal just keeping hands of an average person off of them, or are you looking for something that would resist a more determined, prolonged attack?

Assuming fire resistance is not a concern: I would probably install a solid door as you thought of. Wood, fiberglass, metal, etc.. would be mostly aesthetics based, if it just looks like a linen closet, it would probably attract less attention. If fire resistance is a concern, that could be dealt with at an increased cost and reduced storage capacity. For a door knob, I'd try to go with one that looks the most like an interior knob, or replace all of them with a more substantial one so it blends in better. If I see four basic interior knobs and one exterior, I'm thinking there's something special behind that one door. Thinking more about that, matching doors in the area might be a good idea also. 

You could also get fancier with hidden locks and/or electronic ones. Thinking along the lines of the magnetic design or the locking latch kind. Personally, I'd not want to go that route unless it was on a battery backup. You'd also need a way to hide the sensor/switch to release it. 

You might be able to rig up something that uses a magnet/plunger setup. Spring loaded plunger that acts like a deadbolt, you use a magnet to move the plunger away. I've seen videos of setups like that for smaller designs, like picture frames, bookcases. I image it could be worked up to a larger scale as well. 

Any chance on moving the safe to a different location and using the linen closest for the main home defense items only? Much easier to hide & secure one to three vs an entire collection. 

My goal is to keep them out of sight, out of the hands of kids, and hopefully safe during an amateur smash and grab. I don't think that any affordable consumer level safe will protect from a determined thief with enough time on their hands.

Unfortunately space is limited, and the linen closet is the only option at this time.

No linen in that closet lol. Hypothetically speaking this house should have an alarm minimally? If someone does break in and there's no deterrent such as a blaring alarm or the possibility of cops en-route they may just spend more time there than you would want.

If to deter younger kids I think you will have to put a lock on that door regardless. It's going to be hard to check all the boxes when you have so many variables. When the kids are of age I would do the show and tell and give them the speech on guns and safety. Get rid of the curiosity before it gets the best of them. 

Even interior cameras like the Ring system can also help. If you have an existing Ring alarm you could also add a sensor to that door too. 

You could also get some steel cable and run that through the trigger guards and pad lock onto lag bolts/screws driven into the framing. 

I'm a fan of Shotlock products, simple lock boxes which can be bolted to structure. My HD Shotty is secured in one of them with a robe draped over it. My wife & I are the only two people that know what's behind the robe.  https://www.shotlock.com/

Depending on how many guns you need to lock up, that may be another option. Then you could place items in front of them to hide them. Or if the linen closet is large enough, maybe even build a false back wall that opened up?

On 11/9/2021 at 4:53 PM, MartyZ said:

I currently have all my guns in a 24 gun safe in the master closet. We are thinking about remodeling the master closet and pulling the gun safe out of there and using the hallway linen closet as a gun closet.

On 11/9/2021 at 4:53 PM, MartyZ said:

my current safe will not fit in the linen closet

Respectfully, it doesn't sound like you thought things through.

If the gun safe won't fit in the linen closet then it's not a viable option.

Tell your wife to move her stuff to the linen closet and keep the safe where it is.

Or sell some guns and get a smaller safe.

52 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Respectfully, it doesn't sound like you thought things through.

If the gun safe won't fit in the linen closet then it's not a viable option.

Tell your wife to move her stuff to the linen closet and keep the safe where it is.

Or sell some guns and get a smaller safe.

I know my gun safe won't fit in the linen closet, that is why I'm looking for alternate solutions.