silverado427

Mossberg 930

4 hours ago, silverado427 said:

Does anyone have one, And would you recommend it for a HD gun. 

I have two pumps but I think I want a semi auto.

I really like the 930 Tactical.  The magazine capacity can be upgraded and the recoil isn't that bad at all.  It is light and ergonomic and is quite reliable with home defense rounds.  With lighter rounds it isn't so reliable, though.  I like the tang safety that is similar to the 500/590.  In my opinion, however, I would prefer a 500/590 Pump for home defense because it is less complex, cheaper, has tons of barrels and aftermarket parts....  I like the Mariner model, and would prefer a pump over a semi-auto.  If recoil is an issue, I would still prefer a 20 gauge pump over a semi-auto.    Can't go wrong with a pump Mossberg 500,  Older Remington 870 Wingmaster, or if you are lucky, an ithaca Model 37 Pump.   A 930 Tactial is pretty cool, though, and if you already have a pump go for it, you can't go wrong... and then tell us what you think.  

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, silverado427 said:

Does anyone have one, And would you recommend it for a HD gun. 

I have two pumps but I think I want a semi auto.

930 JM Pro.  My favorite shotgun.  I have the +2 extension on it so it's 6+1.  Runs great - feeds everything except the Winchester cheap stuff from Walmart - the extractor rips the lip off those since they're not brass, they're tin or aluminum.

The tang safety is small point of issue for me - I've put thousands of rounds through mine and the safety broke underneath - I actually still have to replace it.  

Also it's a gas gun so you do occasionally have to clean the gas system.

I have a couple of them.  One has two barrels, a 28" for shooting clays (and presumably, hunting), and an 18.5" for HD. The other is more tactical looking, with an 18.5" barrel, camo finish, and a breacher choke.  I've run both of them fairly hard, through training classes and such, and I can't recall ever having a malfunction.  The latter is my go to for HD.  As Krdshrk notes, they do need to be disassembled and cleaned every 200-300 rounds, but it's not really a big deal. 

If you don't mind spending twice as much, the Beretta 1301 Tactical is great.  But you won't go wrong with the 930.

• Like 1

Don't want a Beretta.

Moss has good reviews...

I should be able to get it to cycle effectively. And is not about cleaning every 200-300 rounds, it's not seen even 30 rounds yet.

It will work, it must work, because so many swear by it !!

Could be a mfg issue or just dumb old me - will open clean thoroughly and put is back together again tomorrow and then take her out to shoot...

Will posy the experience - OR SHOUT FOR HELP...

18 minutes ago, Parimal said:

Don't want a Beretta.

Moss has good reviews...

I should be able to get it to cycle effectively. And is not about cleaning every 200-300 rounds, it's not seen even 30 rounds yet.

It will work, it must work, because so many swear by it !!

Could be a mfg issue or just dumb old me - will open clean thoroughly and put is back together again tomorrow and then take her out to shoot...

Will posy the experience - OR SHOUT FOR HELP...

What loads are you using? 

My CZ 712 has trouble cycling light loads (under 1150fps). If I keep it above that, it’s flawless. 

3 hours ago, Parimal said:

Got a new one. Moss 930 with 2 barrels field and rifled slug.

Does not cycle rounds...

Bought a whole bunch of OR3GUN upgrades.

Will be installing them this weekend - IN THE HOPE THEY WILL MAKE THE GUN WORK.

Call Mossberg for help.  As much of a pain as it is, consider sending it back for them to look at. 

21 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

What loads are you using? 

My CZ 712 has trouble cycling light loads (under 1150fps). If I keep it above that, it’s flawless. 

That's my take aswell on the moss 930 - cycles very fast rounds- rem gold partitions, but not slower ones - federal slugs, trap loads etc.  

Changing/upgrading to or3gun Internals to manage lighter loads - will also give me the opportunity to clean the gun inside out.

I have no issues with shooting light target loads through my 930.  1145FPS cycle just fine - yes, the action doesn't cycle as fast as 1200FPS (or faster) rounds, but it still cycles just fine.  I haven't changed any internals except putting in a teflon/low drag shell follower in the tube.

On 11/13/2021 at 8:46 AM, Parimal said:

Changing/upgrading to or3gun Internals to manage lighter loads - will also give me the opportunity to clean the gun inside out.

Did you clean and lube the gun before shooting it? If not, that may be your issue right there.

I've got one. It's got issues. I personally never had an issue with it cycling light loads. It is, however, REALLY easy to get it to jam in a manner that needs tools to clear while reloading it. The way the foregrip is mounted makes it a pain to set up for quad loads. I just had it take a dump mid stage too many times in 3 gun.  I've got about $1000 total into the gun trying to make it run. 

I've been much happier with my stoeger m3k.

********************************************************************************************

THIS NuB NEEDS A TEASER NAME

********************************************************************************************

Today I stripped my gun apart to upgrade....

Today I found 2 things:

1.  I am a damn NuB

2.  The gun was shipped without the gas piston assembly !!

As i followed videos and instructions to strip the gun and change parts, every video was removing the piston assembly for cleaning - AND I COULD FIND WHERE MINE WAS !!

CONCLUSION: The gun was shipped w/o a gas piston assembly - or the dealer or someone in the supply chain needed one for themselves and my moss was handy!!

Guys thanks a lot for trying to help this NuB -

My VOTE OF GOES TO THE GUY WHO SAID DID YOU CLEAN AND LUBE IT BEFORE USING

Had i done that i would have discovered the missing part 2 months ago and things would have been different.

Ordered the part from Mossberg - I was so angry (at myself) that i ordered overnight shipping - cant make to see the damn thing work flawlessly.

Now i have following OR3GUN items installed:

• Multiuse spacer
  • Comp. Forearm retainer
  • Comp mag follower
  • Multi-use spring plunger
  • 4 pos. ASR
  • Enhanced Bolt Release and,
  • Oversized loading lever

Best part is,

- none of these were on my radar

- none of them were required

Still got a fully upgraded Moss 930 - without a gas piston assembly !!

:-)

Please - tease me and chide me and give me a funny name - make this something for me to remember for the rest of my life.

p.s.: Will post photos once the gun starts working...

• Like 1

I think NUB does just nicely! You can change your screen name to Nub..the member formerly known as Parimal!! :D

Seriously, good catch. Never seen that happen before. I would imagine Mossberg would have sent you a piston at no cost. 

Always clean your guns before you shoot them. 

3 hours ago, Parimal said:

THIS NuB NEEDS A TEASER NAME

Today I stripped my gun apart to upgrade....

Today I found 2 things:

1.  I am a damn NuB

2.  The gun was shipped without the gas piston assembly !!

As i followed videos and instructions to strip the gun and change parts, every video was removing the piston assembly for cleaning - AND I COULD FIND WHERE MINE WAS !!

CONCLUSION: The gun was shipped w/o a gas piston assembly - or the dealer or someone in the supply chain needed one for themselves and my moss was handy!!

Guys thanks a lot for trying to help this NuB -

My VOTE OF GOES TO THE GUY WHO SAID DID YOU CLEAN AND LUBE IT BEFORE USING

Had i done that i would have discovered the missing part 2 months ago and things would have been different.

Ordered the part from Mossberg - I was so angry (at myself) that i ordered overnight shipping - cant make to see the damn thing work flawlessly.

Now i have following OR3GUN items installed:

• Multiuse spacer
  • Comp. Forearm retainer
  • Comp mag follower
  • Multi-use spring plunger
  • 4 pos. ASR
  • Enhanced Bolt Release and,
  • Oversized loading lever

Best part is,

- none of these were on my radar

- none of them were required

Still got a fully upgraded Moss 930 - without a gas piston assembly !!

:-)

Please - tease me and chide me and give me a funny name - make this something for me to remember for the rest of my life.

p.s.: Will post photos once the gun starts working...

source.gif

Admittedly, I'm not the most experienced in the world, but I've never seen or heard of that.  I never would have thought to check that, but yes, I guess you would have discovered it upon disassembly. 

BTW, you probably know this, but for disassembly, cleaning, lube, and reassembly, You Tube is invaluable.