H2oVento

What can't you get or hard to find

Just wondering what the last several mouths has done to you or your business in terms of shortages or hard to find. Not including all the price increases.

I work for a GM dealer and we can't seem to get oil filters for some modles and rear brake rotors for some trucks. Never mind the sales dept has almost no new cars to sell. 3 weeks ago no one with in 15 miles had propane.

4 hours ago, H2oVento said:

Just wondering what the last several mouths has done to you or your business in terms of shortages or hard to find. Not including all the price increases.

I work for a GM dealer and we can't seem to get oil filters for some modles and rear brake rotors for some trucks. Never mind the sales dept has almost no new cars to sell. 3 weeks ago no one with in 15 miles had propane.

The entire supply chains is FUBAR -

Cisco switches we have been told are 200+ days out

Cameras from any manufacturer are 2nd quarter 2022 - maybe

Access Control hardware - 1st Quarter 2022  - maybe

Card Readers - 2nd Quarter 2022 - maybe

Turnstiles - they seem to be OK  - for now

Cable Copper and fiber - appear to be ok - for now

The threads are starting to snap - others will and then things will descend.

All that is going on is like reading an apocalyptic novel, and this is the lead up to the great collapse setting the stage for the rest of the book

PS if you have not read the Kelly Turnbull novels - you should - 

https://www.amazon.com/Kurt-Schlichter/e/B009DYP6NU%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share

Read them in THIS order:

Crisis

The Split

People Republic

Indian Country

Wildfire (kind of a silly book but have to read it)

Collapse

They are fast reading on kindle......but kind of scarily on point

PS if you have not read the Kelly Turnbull novels - you should - 

https://www.amazon.com/Kurt-Schlichter/e/B009DYP6NU%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share

Read them in THIS order:

Crisis

The Split

People Republic

Indian Country

Wildfire (kind of a silly book but have to read it)

Collapse

They are fast reading on kindle......but kind of scarily on point

I just re-read 1984... LOL

• Like 2

Overhead garage doors -14 weeks

Trying to do an end of year Hi-Lo order, one company quoted 66 week lead time, second company quoted 32 week lead time.

In September I ordered 2 new roofs for two of our buildings, one building is 132,000 sq ft the other is 100,000 sq ft, no small order, was told maybe February-March for delivery, who installs a roof in the middle of winter.

Dock levelers, none exist in the USA, I have had to look to Canada for any inventory.

Propane! There is plenty of propane, the problem is they have no drivers to deliver the tanks. 

Windows and sliding glass doors for my Villa?   Ordered in MAY.   Supposed to be out for delivery, today.  I'm skeptical.

Ordered seat covers for one of my golf carts?  Ordered in April.  Arrived a few weeks ago.

The trusses were ordered in May, arrived in mid September.

Anyone trying to buy a golf cart around here is told April delivery.   Nothing is available used, even garbage.

The only thing I've seen positive is that Ammo seems to be coming around again.

I have to say, I'm glad winters aren't _that_ cold here, so heating costs are low.  Also, I no longer have to buy propane, which might go insane.

Let's go Brandon!

outback.jpg

konica-minolta toner if you need such things (their factory blew up, and that was always going to suck, but the supply chain is slowing down the rebuild)). 

printers serviced in general. 

cisco switches are way screwed as mentioned previously. Many other brands as well. 

Wireless access points are getting scarce. 

video conferencing appliances and larger room scale hardware for same. 

usb-c docking stations. 

oil filters as mentioned above... stupidly marked up if available at all. 

furniture - i got a new bedroom set in October. That took a month to get here.... except for the dresser.... that got pushed to November, then January, now they are saying April. For something ordered in September. 

primers (slightly improved, but still bad)

powder (more improved, but still bad)

CPUs (this has gotten a lot better)

graphics cards (this has gotten nothing but worse)

There's always some paper product it is a PITA to get. 

The price of bacon sucks... I wish it had gone up just 20%. I think you can only manage that  if you swap the good stuff for the cheapest of crap bacon. 

Winter coats for kids were a cluster fuck this year. Shopping mid September there was almost no stock, and very limited variety. It looked like last years leftovers plus one brand that got a bunch of inventory through on total crap jackets. More started showing up later, but damn. It took nearly a month to find my kid a coat that wasn't total trash. Most places had everything on the shelves to make it not look empty. Swimsuits still being on the rack in October? wtf. 

It's hitting ALL areas..

The Great Worker Shortage Is Causing Basic Services To Really Break Down All Across America

Where did all the workers go?  That is a great mystery that continues to be unsolved.  All over America, businesses are literally hiring anyone with a pulse and there are “help wanted” signs all over the place.  But the number of people that are actually working is still close to four million below the pre-pandemic peak. 

What happened to all of those extra workers?  They certainly aren’t on unemployment, because claims for unemployment benefits are the lowest that we have seen “in decades”.  So where are they?  It is almost as if millions upon millions of people have disappeared from the system completely over the past couple of years.

Needless to say, this lack of workers is having a dramatic impact on the delivery of basic services all over the country.

Our society is in the process of collapsing all around us, and now we have gotten to a point where even our most basic services are starting to fail.

I wish that I could tell you that 2022 is going to be better, but I can’t do that, because it wouldn’t be the truth.

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-finance/great-worker-shortage-causing-basic-services-really-break-down-all-across-america

It took 10 months for my whole-house generator to come in and another 2 months to get it installed.  Replacement windows are 5-6 months out.  In-ground pools are sold out through 2022 at least.

And the worst one - I sent door panels in for restoration for a car project almost 2 YEARS ago and they still haven't been worked on due to staffing shortages.

28 minutes ago, mustang69 said:

It took 10 months for my whole-house generator to come in and another 2 months to get it installed.  Replacement windows are 5-6 months out. 

This is something that really isn't being talked about. We hear about the ships sitting off the coast of CA, but there are hickups throughout the system. Shortages of parts and pieces and basic chemicals is holding up the production of all types of products. One item missing (like a door hinge) can delay the finishing of a fridge. Lack of a particular base chemical can delay production of shampoo, shortage of fertilizer slows up the growth of vegetables.... situations like that are rampant throughout the product and services industries. And all predictions, it's going to continue through the majority of 2022.

Now with Omicron, MORE staff shortages, company slowdowns, vax firings, etc. will only make it worse.

• Agree 1

Seems like plumbing supplies are also running short at least in my area.  Local big orange box store had a sign on the door stating limited purchase quantities per customers for a lot of PVC pipes, connectors, etc.. and the shelves were bare.

@Sniper Related to the shortage of workers, I see a lot of people who either want to work or are working 2 to 3 part time jobs because a lot of jobs being offered are only part time.  It seems like corporations want to save on taxes and benefits by only offering jobs that are 20 to 25 hours a week.  That or the jobs are not paying decent wages.  My wife's friend showed us a job listing where a Masters Degree was required and the job was paying $15/hr.  I would find that wage somewhat insulting for anything requiring a masters.  I'm not an economics expert by any means, but I do feel comfortable saying that the lack of labor force, no matter the root cause, compounds the supply chain issues. 

8 hours ago, Regular Guy said:

Seems like plumbing supplies are also running short at least in my area.  Local big orange box store had a sign on the door stating limited purchase quantities per customers for a lot of PVC pipes, connectors, etc.. and the shelves were bare.

@Sniper Related to the shortage of workers, I see a lot of people who either want to work or are working 2 to 3 part time jobs because a lot of jobs being offered are only part time.  It seems like corporations want to save on taxes and benefits by only offering jobs that are 20 to 25 hours a week.  That or the jobs are not paying decent wages.  My wife's friend showed us a job listing where a Masters Degree was required and the job was paying $15/hr.  I would find that wage somewhat insulting for anything requiring a masters.  I'm not an economics expert by any means, but I do feel comfortable saying that the lack of labor force, no matter the root cause, compounds the supply chain issues. 

I have a local resturant paying $600.00 a week for a dish washer and can't get anyone to apply. 

1 hour ago, H2oVento said:

I have a local resturant paying $600.00 a week for a dish washer and can't get anyone to apply. 

I mean have you looked at rent lately? It’s gotten insane. One of my friends was paying $1700 a month for a one bedroom. And they just published prices for the new year which puts the same units at $2100 a month. 

At $15/hr you either have to accommodate a kid’s schedule, or get lucky in finding someone in a situation where they don’t have to cover typical housing and food costs. 

NNoooooooooooooo........

Potato Shortage Leads To Global Shortage Of French Fries, Potato Chips

Fast food restaurants across the world are experiencing a shortage of french fries.

The United States is one of the top producers of potatoes globally — but lockdowns due to the COVID-19 pandemic forced U.S. farmers to destroy hundreds of tons of potatoes in 2020, and the supply has not fully recovered. On top of that, supply chain issues have hampered the exports of this year’s crop.

Japan is also home to more than 3,000 McDonald’s franchises, according to The Washington Post, and relies heavily on U.S. potato exports. The Post reported that Japan was considering flying in potatoes to ease supply bottlenecks, but snowstorms battered the West Coast of North America and further delayed shipments. McDonald’s was forced to restrict french fry orders in Japan to just the small size for the foreseeable future.

Days after McDonald’s Japan made the announcement, leading potato chip manufacturers in South Africa warned that global supply issues and low local crop yields due to adverse weather conditions had created a short supply of potatoes for chip-making.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/potato-shortage-leads-to-global-shortage-of-french-fries-potato-chips

now it's appropriate for me to chime in.

i've got a tahoe ppv hanging on my lift. #4 intake lifter rotated in the bore, scoring the camshaft lobe. while checking this out, i see damage to another lobe too. the cost of pulling both heads to r&r the cam and lifters is within 1500 bucks of the cost of replacing the engine with a gm reman. the problem? can't get one. according to my parts guy, they're on national backorder with no timeline on availability.  as it is, i hadda wait 3 weeks for the head gaskets. used is not an option for obvious reasons.

got another engine job sitting in the parking lot. 2014 grand caravan 3.6. needs engine. this one is also a fleet vehicle, but not law enforcement. i gave them options of a "certified" used engine with 30k less miles on it than the vehicle, and of a reman. i was glad when they took the reman, as it's 3 year unlimited mile warranty as opposed to the 12/12 warranty on the used. the problem? national backorder. but this one i can get a timeline on. end of feb to the beginning of march.

got charger for the same police dept. needs engine. that one's the easiest, but also the most expensive. although those engines are backordered, they tell me that they can get me this one in 2 to 3 weeks. i'm waiting on approval from the dept right now. but that job's gonna be stupid expensive 'cause the engine is.

2 minutes ago, Bomber said:

What happened that 7 year old vehicle needs a new engine?

I would pissed beyond words if I were the owner. 

oh that one's a fun one. the driver(who's actually a pretty nice guy) drove the thing not telling dispatcher or owner that the oil light was coming on and off. then the dispatcher used it to do some extra work. noted the oil light, took it back and parked it. driver dude told him that it's normal for that oil light, and not to worry about it. he  jumped in it again and drove it till oil light came on steady, and the thing started knocking its brains out. they had it towed in to the shop. i put 4.5 quarts of oil in it. and of course it still was knocking. and yes. the owner's pissed.

• Crazy 2
  • FacePalm 1

3 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i put 4.5 quarts of oil in it. and of course it still was knocking. and yes. the owner's pissed.

How did it lose almost five qt. of oil?

Guess they don't make them like they use to. I had a slant six Plymouth Duster that I ran so low oil it seized up and stalled. I filled it with oil, cranked it over by hand a few times, started it up and drove it for another year. :B:):

38 minutes ago, Bomber said:

How did it lose almost five qt. of oil?

Guess the don't make them like they use to. I had a slant six Plymouth Duster that I ran so low oil it seized up and stalled. I filled it with oil, cranked it over by hand a few times, started it up and drove it for another year. :B:):

i think it was burning. no evidence of leaks. not even the oil cooler....which is super common on these engines. the van's got 107k.....

back in the 80's guy in the bay next to me did a oil change on a duster with the 225 slant6. the shop was in stratford. customer lived in barrington. customer called saying his car was making a funny noise. boss told him to drive it back. other guy was gone for the day, so i got to check it. dude changed the filter, never added oil. so this customer drove from stratford to barrington and back. i put oil in it, fired it up, and after about 3 minutes it quieted down.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i think it was burning. no evidence of leaks. not even the oil cooler....which is super common on these engines. the van's got 107k.....

back in the 80's guy in the bay next to me did a oil change on a duster with the 225 slant6. the shop was in stratford. customer lived in barrington. customer called saying his car was making a funny noise. boss told him to drive it back. other guy was gone for the day, so i got to check it. dude changed the filter, never added oil. so this customer drove from stratford to barrington and back. i put oil in it, fired it up, and after about 3 minutes it quieted down.

I SHOULD also add that the tahoe ppv is a 2016 with only 54k on the clock. i wonder if i shoulda added this over in the truck suggestion thread. i've also got a 2012 tahoe ppv waiting for me to pull the head, but that one's got 125k.......