H2oVento

What can't you get or hard to find

26 minutes ago, Bomber said:

I thought the 3.6 Pentastar was a good engine, no?

just like all modern engines.....they're fantastic. till they're not.

i personally don't care for those engines. they coulda kept the old 3.3 or 3.8 in those vans. both nearly indestructible.

28 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i personally don't care for those engines. they coulda kept the old 3.3 or 3.8 in those vans. both nearly indestructible.

I had both, the 3.3 and the 3.8. Definitely good engines...

Now, on the other hand, the transmissions....

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

just like all modern engines.....they're fantastic. till they're not.

Yep. I have a 3.3l Grand Caravan pushing 300,000 miles. Runs perfect and original transmission. Not looking forward to having get something else one day. 

They did have a long run for those engines early 90's to 2010 I believe.

1 hour ago, Bomber said:

I have a 3.3l Grand Caravan pushing 300,000 miles.

Wait.. are you admitting you drive a Caravan??  What does your hubby drive?  :mutley:

Only kidding.... I had a Caravan for many years, one of the most universal vehicles.

Hauled demonstration equipment for work, hauled the kids and dog, hauled camping equipment and Boy Scouts, hauled furniture and cabinets, even hauled 4x8 sheets of plywood and 8 foot 2x4s... inside with the hatch closed.

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Wait.. are you admitting you drive a Caravan??  

Yes, and proud of it.

You forgot to mention hauling washer/dryer sets, refrigerators with room to spare.

I even fit a new 15 HP lawn tractor in one, and it was a shorter wheel base Caravan no less.  

SUV's are the 4WD equivalent of four door sedans with a hatch back.

I had a 2007 Chrysler Town & Country with the 3.8L V6 - the engine was solid.  Transmission not as much but they fixed/replaced that.  It had almost 200K Miles on it... Unfortunately the body wasn't holding up to the northeastern winters with salt/etc.  Sold it to another forum member for cheap and he's doing just fine with it.

Lead times for electronics are insane.  The chip shortage is outrageous.  Can't get a good Graphics GPU... Lead times for laptops/chromebooks is near 6 months now.  Network switches?  Some are over 1 year... 

3 hours ago, Bomber said:

Yes, and proud of it.

You forgot to mention hauling washer/dryer sets, refrigerators with room to spare.

I even fit a new 15 HP lawn tractor in one, and it was a shorter wheel base Caravan no less.  

SUV's are the 4WD equivalent of four door sedans with a hatch back.

and the 3.8 ones were relatively quick. i pummeled more than one tuner geek with mine.

19 hours ago, Sniper said:

Wait.. are you admitting you drive a Caravan??  What does your hubby drive?  :mutley:

Only kidding.... I had a Caravan for many years, one of the most universal vehicles.

Hauled demonstration equipment for work, hauled the kids and dog, hauled camping equipment and Boy Scouts, hauled furniture and cabinets, even hauled 4x8 sheets of plywood and 8 foot 2x4s... inside with the hatch closed.

I loved my grand caravan, so much so I went through 3 of them.   That thing hauled everything i threw at it.   I routinely had lawn tractors and snowblowers in the back, full sheets of plywood, appliances and more.   If i could have found a decent awd version I'd probably still have one.   With my f150 i still cant carry as much as i stuffed into those vans.  Towing a trailer was a different thing though...

1 minute ago, Cheflife15 said:

Stock up on pet food. Alot of the good brands are disappearing. 

Yep....

I've seen a lot of reports about canned cat food being in short supply, although I don't have a cat, that would concern me. I've been staying ahead on the dog food supply, because my four legged friend would get REALLY pissed off if I didn't feed him..:mutley: I've had a difficult time buying the specific brand/flavor I want for him.

This was target. I usually go to petsmart but they were pretty bare too. 

I have about 2 months supply, maybe a lil more but I'm trying to push that to about 4 to 6 months. 

Petsmart was telling me they just unloaded pet Halloween costumes a week or two ago. That should give you some perspective of how much crap is on ships. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Petsmart was telling me they just unloaded pet Halloween costumes a week or two ago. That should give you some perspective of how much crap is on ships. 

WOW.....   I was actually wondering about that, how much stuff was still on ships? There should be some great Xmas sales.... at Easter...:shok:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Was just at Taget in Bridgewater.  Seemed well stocked but there were ZERO cashiers.  You had to use self check out.

Yup this was also where I was. This is what happens when they want 15 plus an hour to ring up 6 items.

Also if you really look closely,  most stores are spreading items out so they LOOK more full.

4 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

FYI -  Chewy.com has 20% off Bil-Jac dog food.  We just ordered two 30 pound bags.

We use the "auto-ship" feature so not sure if that is required.  We are constantly adjusting the shipping schedule and my wife saw the 20%.  So figured why not order two bags so don't need to worry about it for some time.  We just receive a bag in about 2 weeks ago so we should be set for a while.  Will throw it in a plastic storage container in the basement.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

20220123_132430.jpg

Because seniors on a fixed income are eating it. Inflation is KILLING them. My gas bill last month went up 50% from last year! Weekly gas=UP, Meds=UP, health insurance=UP. every thing up! Really cutting into my gun purchases!!!!!!!!!!!!  On the flip side, Home value up 100K in 6 months! LOL

• Haha 1

I have been using Chewy autoship for about 2 years. My girl goes through about 40lb a month and I have been getting a 50lb bag shipped each month. I now have 7 months supply on hand and the latest shipment got dropped off last Saturday. I have a longer supply for her than I do for the people in my house.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've never gotten too low where I had to use chewy but it's a viable option for sure.  

On a side note,  I find prescription cat food to be absurd.  Never in a million years did I think we would need a prescription to feed our pet the best possible food for their situation. 

On 1/24/2022 at 11:06 AM, Mr.Stu said:

My girl goes through about 40lb a month

Holy crap, just how big is that horse?  :mutley: My dude goes through less than half of that, but I do supplement the dry food with wet food and dinner scraps.

On 1/24/2022 at 11:06 AM, Mr.Stu said:

I have a longer supply for her than I do for the people in my house.

Ya know, it's all about priorities.  I would starve before I let him starve. And in most cases, dogs are far better animals than most humans. :pardon:

• Agree 3

No....... Not Bacon!!!!!!

....."Bacon lovers might be in for a sizzling surprise as pork supplies in cold storage tumble to an 11-year low as prices rise due to declining hog herds

The latest United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) pork data in cold storage as of Dec. 1 was approximately 399 million pounds, a drop of 4.1% from a year ago and now at the lowest point since 2010. 

"The drop came before the spreading omicron virus variant prompted slaughterhouses to slow down in recent weeks as more workers called in sick, further limiting meat production and likely keeping prices for the meat high," Bloomberg explains. 

Slumping cold storage has sent USDA bacon prices per pound (as of late December) to around $7.21, a record high and up 39% since the beginning of the virus pandemic. 

https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/bacon-shortage-us-pork-supplies-tumble-11-year-low